YYZ Video

Shranexis0

Everyone's seen the recent YYZ video of virtual Neil drumming on the ocean. I'm a drummer and I've got a question for all drummers who have attended a Rush concert and seen the YYZ video.

On the "chorus" I suppose of YYZ, the part that goes Eb-E-F#-A, where Neil moves from the open hihat to the ride, he does that riff with the ride-ride-snare-ride ride thing that he does in so many of his other songs (like the guitar solo in Subdivisions). On the video, virtual Neil does dome-dome with one hand, snare with the other, and dome-dome with the one again, like rightdome-rightdome-leftsnare-rightdome-rightdome.

Does he really play the song this way in concert? I would think it would be more practical to alternate his hands like a roll, rightdome-leftdome-rightsnare-leftdome-rightdome, especially with his alternating two feet on the double bass that occurs on the same 16th beats as the first 2 domes.

EDIT: Maybe I should have put this in the Video forum.

Edited by Shranexis0

QUOTE (Shranexis0 @ Sep 21 2005, 10:28 PM)
Everyone's seen the recent YYZ video of virtual Neil drumming on the ocean. I'm a drummer and I've got a question for all drummers who have attended a Rush concert and seen the YYZ video.

On the "chorus" I suppose of YYZ, the part that goes Eb-E-F#-A, where Neil moves from the open hihat to the ride, he does that riff with the ride-ride-snare-ride ride thing that he does in so many of his other songs (like the guitar solo in Subdivisions). On the video, virtual Neil does dome-dome with one hand, snare with the other, and dome-dome with the one again, like rightdome-rightdome-leftsnare-rightdome-rightdome.

Does he really play the song this way in concert? I would think it would be more practical to alternate his hands like a roll, rightdome-leftdome-rightsnare-leftdome-rightdome, especially with his alternating two feet on the double bass that occurs on the same 16th beats as the first 2 domes.

Kazzman might be able to help you. try him sometime.

QUOTE (defrushfan01 @ Sep 22 2005, 10:49 AM)

Kazzman might be able to help you. try him sometime.

yeah maybe if you could describe this a little better.

Okay, let me try again.

ride: x---x-x-----x---x---x-x---x-x---

snare:--------x---------------x-------

That should be recognizable. I always thought he alternated his hands as such:

ride: r---r-l-----r---r---r-l---l-r---

snare:--------r---------------r-------

But in the video, he does it this way:

ride: r---r-r-----r---r---r-r---r-r---

snare:--------l---------------l-------

So which way does Neil really do it?

EDIT: ACK! HOW DO I DELETE POSTS?

Edited by Shranexis0

QUOTE (Shranexis0 @ Sep 22 2005, 05:03 PM)
So which way does Neil really do it?

ride: r---r-r-----r---r---r-r---r-r---

snare:--------l---------------l-------

That way ^

He just does a double stroke with the right hand.

Yeah, that's all right hand on the ride. The only time I can think of where he uses his left hand for a ride pattern (for a beat rather than an accent) is during Red Sector A. He used to have 2 ride cymbals, one for front and back, and during the chorus "I hear the sound of gunfire at the prison gate..." he played a two handed ride cymbal pattern using both ride cymbals. This should be evident on Show of Hands. I'll have to watch RIR to see if he plays this part just on the V-Cymbal or if he goes between the V-ride and the real ride as I cannot recall.

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Sep 23 2005, 03:11 AM)
Yeah, that's all right hand on the ride. The only time I can think of where he uses his left hand for a ride pattern (for a beat rather than an accent) is during Red Sector A. He used to have 2 ride cymbals, one for front and back, and during the chorus "I hear the sound of gunfire at the prison gate..." he played a two handed ride cymbal pattern using both ride cymbals. This should be evident on Show of Hands. I'll have to watch RIR to see if he plays this part just on the V-Cymbal or if he goes between the V-ride and the real ride as I cannot recall.

Yeah, he does that during RiR too. He also does the two same pattern from RSA in the intro in Subdivisions. If I recall correctly, there's a part in Natural Science where he's doing 16th notes with the right hand on the ride and the left on the high-hat.

It is similar in Subdivisions, but that is on the hat and ride too. He hadn't incorporated the electronics yet. He first did that two handed hat/ride pattern on Natural Science during Hyperspace then again on Camera Eye.

QUOTE (Shranexis0 @ Oct 1 2005, 03:31 PM)
Man, the way he does it impossible to coordinate with your feet! You gotta do a right-right ride with a right-left kick on the bass! I guess Neil does it this same way in the Freewill bridge too?

actually that's all single bass...

He's got a lot of stuff that is hard to coordinate . . .

That's why I love him so much

" May as well turn my drums over and us em as furniture . . . "

Wait, you mean in every song where there's this:

r---r-r-----r---r---r-r---r-r---

--------l---------------l-------

b---b-b-----b-------b-b---------

he's playing his bass with one foot? I don't believe it! It sounds like he's alternating feet to me.

QUOTE (Shranexis0 @ Oct 11 2005, 09:53 PM)
Wait, you mean in every song where there's this:

r---r-r-----r---r---r-r---r-r---
--------l---------------l-------
b---b-b-----b-------b-b---------

he's playing his bass with one foot? I don't believe it! It sounds like he's alternating feet to me.

yeah, that's one foot. it actually isn't that hard.

You don't think it's hard in songs as fast as Superconductor and Faceup? How do you know for sure? I would guess that he uses both feet because

1) Every one of his double kicks is soft. If it were one foot, it would be louder because of the natural spring of the foot.

2) If he were using one foot for his double kicks, he would be doing double kicks on the hihat riffs, but he never uses a double kick when he's on the hihat (unless it's open).

3) I could have sworn I've heard a difference in pitch between his kicks on one of the earlier live albums.

You don't think it's hard in songs as fast as Superconductor and Faceup? How do you know for sure? I would guess that he uses both feet because

1) Every one of his double kicks is soft. If it were one foot, it would be louder because of the natural spring of the foot.

It's called foot control. Try it. It's not that hard at all to play at a soft pitch with just one foot. Not only that, but allot of drummers actually roll their primary bass foot to get double hits with the single bass. All you do is hit the bass like you would normally and when your foot is down after the first stroke, you just put the foot down while the rest of the leg is down.

2) If he were using one foot for his double kicks, he would be doing double kicks on the hihat riffs, but he never uses a double kick when he's on the hihat (unless it's open).

He does do double hits during hight-hat patterns with just one bass. Listen more closely. Again, read my reply to your first question for further analysis.

3) I could have sworn I've heard a difference in pitch between his kicks on one of the earlier live albums.

And I could have sworn Tarja Turunen is the lead singer for Nightwish. Doesn't mean it's true.

dazed025.gif I can tell you that it really is just one foot as I have copied this syncopated pattern like 8th notes really. you have to learn to be real light with the foot bringing it up real fast while keeping the ball of the foot down . Neil uses this a lot and its a real great effect. trink39.gif

QUOTE (yyz @ Oct 27 2005, 11:34 AM)
Everyone's seen the recent YYZ video of virtual Neil drumming on the ocean.

i haven't. unsure.gif

Gotcha covered.

YYZ Video

Enjoy. wink.gif

yes.gif bekloppt.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif goodpost.gif Yes well done tepes22b for posting the video it really is awesome, even though it takes forever to download.

YYZ with a name like yours you really gotta check it out. 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif trink39.gif

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Oh by the way congratulations on your 100th post tepes22b just noticed.

QUOTE (different strings @ Oct 29 2005, 02:46 AM)
new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Oh by the way congratulations on your 100th post tepes22b just noticed.

Thanks, bro! It's been a good experience finding this board and great Rush community. I'll be sticking around.