Dave Grohl- Overture Cover

The Analog Teen

Just browsing Spotify when I noticed a new addition to the "Rush Complete Collection" playlist (which is entirely missing Vapor Trails). Dave Grohl and Taylor Hawkins covered the 2112 Overture, produced by Nick Raskulinecz (who also produced S&A and CA).

I didn't think it was too bad, seemed to have a bit darker feel to it.

Thoughts?

Obviously, the drums are different, but it seems like they changed a lot of the song, while still maintaining its original integrity. It's pretty cool, but I don't think it flows as well as the original.

I think the biggest factor that makes it feel darker is that it sounds like Grohl used effects pedals to get an overdrive, whereas Alex (correct me if I'm wrong) would have just used the drive created from the amp and cabinet.

I like it for what it is, same as I like the Working Man Tribute. A cool homage to Rush. There´s no sense in comparing these songs to the original versions - even though I know it wasn´t the OP´s intention.

If nothing else, I appreciate great artists covering a great band. Music is art, so I had hoped to hear some adaption/re-interpretation.