Broccoli Soup?

Indica

I eat broccoli a lot and I usually just steam it but I'm getting burned out on always eating it the same way but it's so good for you that I don't want to avoid it.

Does anyone have a recipe to make some broccoli soup they don't mind sharing? I'm thinking about making some tonight. smile.gif

It's my favorite soup.

INGREDIENTS:

* 2 1/2 pounds broccoli (about 2 bunches)

* 1 cup chopped green onion

* 3 tablespoons butter

* 4 tablespoons flour

* 4 cups chicken broth

* 1 cup light cream or half-and-half

* 1 cup shredded swiss cheese

* 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg, freshly ground if possible

* salt and pepper to taste

Cut enough broccoli florets to measure about 2 cups. Cut remaining broccoli into 1-inch pieces. In separate saucepans, cook florets and broccoli pieces in lightly salted boiling water for a few minutes, or until just tender.

Florets will take less time to cook. Immediately rinse with cold water to stop cooking; drain. Refrigerate florets until serving time.

In a large saucepan saute green onions in butter until tender; about 2 minutes. Sprinkle in flour and cook one minute longer, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in chicken broth. Return to heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add broccoli pieces to the broth then puree mixture in an electric blender in batches until smooth; return to pan. Just before serving, blend in cream and Swiss cheese. Simmer gently until cheese melts. Add nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Add reserved florets and heat through.

Broccoli cheese soup serves 6.

Broccoli Soup

1 onion, chopped

1 garlic clove, minced

1 tablespoon oil

1 bay leaf

1 pound broccoli

2 1/2 cups vegetable stock

Salt & Pepper

Juice of half a lemon

Saute onion and garlic in oil with the bay leaf. Add broccoli and stock. Simmer covered for 10 minutes. Remove bay leaf, season, and serve.

Serves 4

Here's one I got for you from a friend at work

She says she makes it ALL the time, and its damn good biggrin.gif smile.gif

Hope it turns out good for ya

Happy Cooking trink39.gif

I don't want a taste-test tho..I don't really like broccoli unsure.gif

Heres the recipe i was tryin to tell u over the phone.

I buy taters,onions,chicken broth,pint of 1/2 & 1/2... and some cheese,bacon bits,scallions to top it off with.

Just cut up taters and onions in big chunks and put in broth...Bring to boil

In nuther smaller pot I cut up small chunks of taters an bring to boil in water till tender( only cuz i like chunks of taters in my soup...to each his own)

once taters an onions are tender nuff i get my hand blender out an blend them in with the broth makin it smooth, Right in the same pot..add in 1/2&1/2 an blend it lil more...Add the lil chunks of taters from other pot in soup..and its done! drool1.gif

add the cheese an bacon bits on top along with some chives if wanted and u got urself a good hearty meal...pretty much a 1 pot meal or 2 if u want it chunky..and u dont even have to peel the skins off the taters!!!

Just put the Broccoli in last or mix it with the other stuff to make it a smooth soup wink.gif

Try that, I know U love it when i make it,Time to test ur cookin skills wink.gif

Ur dad told me u picked up alot of good cookin skills,since u been with this Italian chik for the past 4 yrs wink.gif laugh.gif

Edited by DonnaWanna

QUOTE (DonnaWanna @ Sep 14 2005, 04:49 PM)

I buy taters,onions,chicken broth,pint of 1/2 & 1/2... and some cheese,bacon bits,scallions to top it off with.

In nuther smaller pot I cut up small chunks of taters an bring to boil in water till tender( only cuz i like chunks of taters in my soup...to each his own)
once taters an onions are tender nuff i get my hand blender out an blend them in with the broth makin it smooth, Right in the same pot..add in 1/2&1/2 an blend it lil more...Add the lil chunks of taters from other pot in soup..and its done! drool1.gif
add the cheese an bacon bits on top along with some chives if wanted and u got urself a good hearty meal...pretty much a 1 pot meal or 2 if u want it chunky..and u dont even have to peel the skins off the taters!!!
Just put the Broccoli in last or mix it with the other stuff to make it a smooth soup wink.gif

Try that, I know U love it when i make it,Time to test ur cookin skills wink.gif
Ur dad told me u picked up alot of good cookin skills,since u been with this Italian chik for the past 4 yrs wink.gif laugh.gif

MMMM Donna! wink.gif

You sound like a great cook!

Indy is one lucky guy! smile.gif

Now, could you email some of that soup tongue.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE (Daylin @ Sep 15 2005, 01:04 PM)

Just put the Broccoli in last  or mix it with the other stuff to make it a smooth soup  wink.gif

Try that, I know U love it when i make it,Time to test ur cookin skills  wink.gif
Ur dad told me u picked up alot  of good cookin skills,since u been with this Italian chik for the past 4  yrs  wink.gif  laugh.gif

MMMM Donna! wink.gif

Geez that is sooo easy to make,

Try it..it only takes bout 1/2 hour or so to make from start to finish wink.gif

QUOTE (DonnaWanna @ Sep 16 2005, 03:15 AM)
QUOTE (Daylin @ Sep 15 2005, 01:04 PM)

Just put the Broccoli in last  or mix it with the other stuff to make it a smooth soup  wink.gif

Try that, I know U love it when i make it,Time to test ur cookin skills  wink.gif
Ur dad told me u picked up alot  of good cookin skills,since u been with this Italian chik for the past 4  yrs  wink.gif  laugh.gif

MMMM Donna! wink.gif

Geez that is sooo easy to make,

Try it..it only takes bout 1/2 hour or so to make from start to finish wink.gif

ohmy.gif You're gonna make me work? tongue.gif

I'm gonna try this! I was when I read your recipe!

I'll let ya know how it turned out. wink.gif

QUOTE (CanEHdian @ Sep 14 2005, 11:37 AM)
Broccoli Soup

1 onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tablespoon oil
1 bay leaf
1 pound broccoli
2 1/2 cups vegetable stock
Salt & Pepper
Juice of half a lemon

Saute onion and garlic in oil with the bay leaf. Add broccoli and stock. Simmer covered for 10 minutes. Remove bay leaf, season, and serve.
Serves 4

Here's one I got for you from a friend at work 
She says she makes it ALL the time, and its damn good  biggrin.gif  smile.gif

Hope it turns out good for ya
Happy Cooking  trink39.gif

I don't want a taste-test tho..I don't really like broccoli  unsure.gif

You can make it for me Babe wub.gif , I love broccoli! http://www.online-thecatsmeow.com/images/Emoticons/essen.gif

Here's one of my favorite recipes... not soup but broccoli casserole smile.gif drool1.gif Very very yummy if I may say so.

-1 package (family size) frozen broccoli florets or an equal amount of fresh broccoli (I prefer this myself as it cooks better and tastes better)

-1 can cream of mushroom soup

-1 can of condensed cheese soup

- 1/2 cup of mayonnaise

- 1 large and 1 small can of French Onion Toppers (those crispy french onion thingies)

- 1/2 of a small onion, finely chopped (food processor works nicely for this)

Steam the broccoli until it can be pierced easily by a fork... usually a half hour or more. . . strain broccoli. Use either the pot you cooked the broccoli in or a large mixing bowl and combine the broccoli (usually I chop the broccoli to bits before mixing..makes it easier to mix), mushroom soup, onion, cheese soup, mayo the small can of French Onions and about 1/2 of the large can as well (or however you prefer it.. the more you mix in the crunchier it will be). Mix well. Pour the mixture into a baking dish and cover with the remaining French Onions. Bake at 375 degrees or until casserole is bubbling. Remove carefully from oven, let cool for 5 minutes and serve smile.gif

I got my bro to eat seconds of this when I was told he hates broccoli laugh.gif

Edited by Trance

QUOTE (dweezil @ Sep 14 2005, 08:34 PM)
It's my favorite soup.

INGREDIENTS:

* 2 1/2 pounds broccoli (about 2 bunches)
* 1 cup chopped green onion
* 3 tablespoons butter
* 4 tablespoons flour
* 4 cups chicken broth
* 1 cup light cream or half-and-half
* 1 cup shredded swiss cheese
* 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg, freshly ground if possible
* salt and pepper to taste
Cut enough broccoli florets to measure about 2 cups. Cut remaining broccoli into 1-inch pieces. In separate saucepans, cook florets and broccoli pieces in lightly salted boiling water for a few minutes, or until just tender.

Florets will take less time to cook. Immediately rinse with cold water to stop cooking; drain. Refrigerate florets until serving time.

In a large saucepan saute green onions in butter until tender; about 2 minutes.  Sprinkle in flour and cook one minute longer, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in chicken broth. Return to heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add broccoli pieces to the broth then puree mixture in an electric blender in batches until smooth; return to pan. Just before serving, blend in cream and Swiss cheese. Simmer gently until cheese melts. Add nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Add reserved florets and heat through.
Broccoli cheese soup serves 6.

ohmy.gif

I can't believe you withheld this vital information dazed025.gif

You know how much I love soup drool1.gif drool1.gif