The Rolling Stone Article

HigherWater

What is wrong with you all? Is there going to be any discussion about what is perhaps the most intensive MAINSTREAM article about Rush in their history?

I read the article yesterday at the local bookstore and quickly purchased my first Rolling Stone Magazine in 25 years. This article is worth reading and very well written. It includes current interviews with all THREE members and is ripe with good humor, good stories and good natured ribbing. This is a very significant article, even if it doesn't present any really NEW information. The article talks frankly about old issues like fantasy lyrics and Ged's voice without condescension and new issues like HOF induction without absolution. In fact the writer seems to think (without actually coming right out and saying it) that Rush's absence in the Hall is ridiculous.

So what about you, Fellow Rush fans? Are you prepared to cut RS a little slack and admit that this a good article?

Last Note: Rush will be inducted into the HOF within 2 years. This article lays the groundwork. (I know this doesn't matter to any of you, but I guarantee it matters to them)

HW

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My copy should come in a few hours, I'll try to have a transcription up later today. And I guess I'll do it in this thread since the other one kind of went downhill pretty quickly. But I'm looking forward to it.

I got it today and read it. I enjoyed it but they are still focused on what they believe Rush and the fans are about and don't actually take the time to get to the truth.

QUOTE (HigherWater @ Jun 28 2008, 12:28 PM)
What is wrong with you all? Is there going to be any discussion about what is perhaps the most intensive MAINSTREAM article about Rush in their history? 

I read the article yesterday at the local bookstore and quickly purchased my first Rolling Stone Magazine in 25 years. This article is worth reading and very well written. It includes current interviews with all THREE members and is ripe with good humor, good stories and good natured ribbing. This is a very significant article, even if it doesn't present any really NEW information. The article talks frankly about old issues like fantasy lyrics and Ged's voice without condescension and new issues like HOF induction without absolution. In fact the writer seems to think (without actually coming right out and saying it) that Rush's absence in the Hall is ridiculous. 

So what about you, Fellow Rush fans? Are you prepared to cut RS a little slack and admit that this a good article?

Last Note: Rush will be inducted into the HOF within 2 years. This article lays the groundwork. (I know this doesn't matter to any of you, but I guarantee it matters to them)

HW

Rush are not striving to get in the RRHOF. Lerxst said about last year's class, "Look who's being inducted, it's a joke."

However I guess it'll be OK if they get in... I wonder if Yes are in the RRHOF? unsure.gif

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jun 28 2008, 01:17 PM)
QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Jun 28 2008, 10:13 AM)
I wonder if Yes are in the RRHOF?  unsure.gif

They aren't.

b_sigh.gif Somehow that doesn't surprise me.....

QUOTE (HigherWater @ Jun 28 2008, 01:28 PM)

Nothing wrong, simply don't care. The article wont tell me anything I don t know already, and I dont care one whit that a "mainstream" rag has now decided to cover a band that millions have loved for 30+ years along with promoting its other garbage and sad self-importance.

I looked for it in Kroger, and I didn't see it. I may buy it just to see what it looks like.

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Jun 28 2008, 02:13 PM)

HW

Rush are not striving to get in the RRHOF. Lerxst said about last year's class, "Look who's being inducted, it's a joke."

However I guess it'll be OK if they get in... I wonder if Yes are in the RRHOF? unsure.gif

The R&RHOF is one big f-cking joke. Dont believe me? Look who's in it, and who's not. Its just like the grammys - do any of us believe that Springsteen's instrumental was better than Rush's? These accolades, just the the Hollywood Walk of Fame, are mainstream lowest common denominator sawdust head jokes. Accomplished musicians like Rush do not need to be validated by such sophmoric honors.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jun 28 2008, 02:19 PM)

HW

The R&RHOF is one big f-cking joke. Dont believe me? Look who's in it, and who's not. Its just like the grammys - do any of us believe that Springsteen's instrumental was better than Rush's? These accolades, just the the Hollywood Walk of Fame, are mainstream lowest common denominator sawdust head jokes. Accomplished musicians like Rush do not need to be validated by such sophmoric honors.

That's why I also stated Alex's quote: "Did you see who got in, it's a joke." At least if I ever go to Cleveland I'll have a reason to visit the RRHOF. sarcasm.gif

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Jun 28 2008, 02:26 PM)

HW

That's why I also stated Alex's quote: "Did you see who got in, it's a joke." At least if I ever go to Cleveland I'll have a reason to visit the RRHOF. sarcasm.gif

Bands that I don't consider a joke:

The Rolling Stones

The Beatles

The Who

U2

Bruce Springsteen and the E street Band

The Doors

The Police

Bob Dylan

Aerosmith

And the list goes on...

True there are some definite mistakes in the hall, but Rush will not be one of them.

Sometimes I think that many of you are afraid that the general public is going to "STEAL" your band from you; that somehow mass recognition will somehow diminish your love for Rush.

I get this from the anti gay marriage crowd--that somehow allowing gays into the marriage fraternity will somehow lessen the stature of their own union.

I want Rush to reach the masses because I believe them to be one of the most important bands of all time; and the more people they bring in, the better the future of the genre will be.

The responses to my initial post were totally predictable--short sighted and kinda sad. But I love you guys and gals and I love the forum. I hope I can always express my views here, no matter how out of the norm they may be. I just think that all too often we behave toward others the same way we've been treated for 35 years--with a gross misunderstanding, intolerance and unwillingness to try something (Rolling Stone) again even though they have gone against everything we stand for. Trust me, I'm no great fan of Rolling Stone, but if they're willing to extend the olive branch a little, the least I can do is reach for it--Even if I plan on letting it fall to the ground next week.

QUOTE (HigherWater @ Jun 28 2008, 03:52 PM)

HW

The Rolling Stones

The Beatles

The Who

U2

The Doors

The Police

Bob Dylan

Aerosmith

And the list goes on...

True there are some definite mistakes in the hall, but Rush will not be one of them.

Sometimes I think that many of you are afraid that the general public is going to "STEAL" your band from you; that somehow mass recognition will somehow diminish your love for Rush.

I get this from the anti gay marriage crowd--that somehow allowing gays into the marriage fraternity will somehow lessen the stature of their own union.

I want Rush to reach the masses because I believe them to be one of the most important bands of all time; and the more people the bring in, the better the future of the genre will be.

The responses to my initial post were, as usual, totally predictable--short sighted and kinda sad. But I love you guys and gals and I love the forum. I hope I can always express my views here, no matter how out of the norm they may be.

As for the Walk of Fame, Ryan Seacrest is on it. Pass. The HOF has honored many worthy bands, and also has ignored many legendary bands. Again, a yawn and a who cares. I bundle all of this nonsense under these endless "Best" lists on the internet. Trivial nonsense.

The responses to your post were not sad, they just dont agree with yours, that doesnt make them sad, it means theyre different than what you wanted. You also postulate din your post that there was something wrong with people if they werent as excited as you. THAT is sad.

If you receive pleasure from Rolling Stone or the R&R HOF accepting Rush, then enjoy! I was simply stating that I hold those instituitions in very, very low esteem, and could not care less whether they accept Rush or not. Its meaningless to me. Rush is not *mine* to be stolen (how rediculous), I just enjoy them and need no external validation to know what wonderful and prolific musicians they are. It doesnt make me enjoy them more because Rolling Stone has performed a cranial rectal extraction for the first time in 34 years. smile.gif

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jun 28 2008, 03:09 PM)

HW

The Rolling Stones

The Beatles

The Who

U2

The Doors

The Police

Bob Dylan

Aerosmith

And the list goes on...

I want Rush to reach the masses because I believe them to be one of the most important bands of all time; and the more people the bring in, the better the future of the genre will be.

The responses to my initial post were, as usual, totally predictable--short sighted and kinda sad. But I love you guys and gals and I love the forum. I hope I can always express my views here, no matter how out of the norm they may be.

As for the Walk of Fame, Ryan Seacrest is on it. Pass. The HOF has honored many worthy bands, and also has ignored many legendary bands. Again, a yawn and a who cares. I bundle all of this nonsense under these endless "Best" lists on the internet. Trivial nonsense.

The responses to your post were not sad, they just dont agree with yours, that doesnt make them sad, it means theyre different than what you wanted. You also postulate din your post that there was something wrong with people if they werent as excited as you. THAT is sad.

If you receive pleasure from Rolling Stone or the R&R HOF accepting Rush, then enjoy! I was simply stating that I hold those instituitions in very, very low esteem, and could not care less whether they accept Rush or not. Its meaningless to me. Rush is not *mine* to be stolen (how rediculous), I just enjoy them and need no external validation to know what wonderful and prolific musicians they are. It doesnt make me enjoy them more because Rolling Stone has performed a cranial rectal extraction for the first time in 34 years. smile.gif

It's sad because so many Rush fans are as set in their ways as the magazine the profess such hatred toward.

I looked back at the posts. My view is that if Rush gets in, then that's great. If they don't, then that's great too.

If Rush gets nominated, then of course they're going to accept it. And, according to reviews of the article, it sounds good! If I can find a copy, then I'll get it.

HW

Exactly.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (HigherWater @ Jun 28 2008, 04:11 PM)

HW

The Rolling Stones

The Beatles

The Who

U2

The Doors

The Police

Bob Dylan

Aerosmith

And the list goes on...

It's sad because so many Rush fans are as set in their ways as the magazine the profess such hatred toward.

You purport to know *why* I dislike Rolling Stone? I dont like the magazine, quite apart from their coverage of Rush. Its not being set in one's ways, its having an opinion that a magazine sucks and is irrelevant. Again, you seem to address opinions different as yours as "sad", which doesnt make any sense to me.

I want Rush to reach the masses because I believe them to be one of the most important bands of all time; and the more people they bring in, the better the future of the genre will be.

The masses very frequently do not recognize very important bands. I see your point, but Rush will never be mass media friendly, especially today. The masses enjoy garbage, and the common denominator, with a few notable exceptions. I do understand your point, and share it, Id love for more people to give Rush a chance (many dismiss them out of hand without listening to them), but given the music business of the last 40 years, I dont think Rush will ever gain that kind of mass popularity. They were very popular when this type of music was *sort of* mainstreamish.. 1978-1982 or so... Im afraid those days are gone. sad.gif

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jun 28 2008, 04:59 PM)
QUOTE (HigherWater @ Jun 28 2008, 04:11 PM)

HW

The Rolling Stones

The Beatles

The Who

U2

The Doors

The Police

Bob Dylan

Aerosmith

And the list goes on...

You purport to know *why* I dislike Rolling Stone? I dont like the magazine, quite apart from their coverage of Rush. Its not being set in one's ways, its having an opinion that a magazine sucks and is irrelevant. Again, you seem to address opinions different as yours as "sad", which doesnt make any sense to me.

yeah, I don't really dislike RS much, I am actually rather meh about it. They don't really know anything about music. They attempt to create current music fashion or ride on the coat tails of what has already started to become popular. Hell, they have had Britney Spears on the cover.

the whole nerd thing was a putoff but the article made me laugh, too. it was obvious that rush were very generous with this interview dude who was on his first RS assignment. f**k, they took him out to eat, to a ballgame, etc.

neil had the best quote regarding the RRHOF yes.gif

i give the article a 6/10

Archived