Pot Roast Recipes

Lorraine

Troutman, I will look, but don't think I've ever seen them in the store.

Look in the Asian section.

I'm glad you told me that because I never look in that section. I would have only looked where they have the regular bread crumbs.

They have a nice crunch to them,

And are much better than the normal crumbs. But thats JMO. :)

Pot Roast is $4.99 a pound this week. I am going to watch the reduced for quick sale meat bin and hope that one shows up in it!

Autumn is definitely in the air and my mouth is really watering for either a good pot roast, or pork roast, with mashed potatoes and carrots and gravy.

I also rarely turn on my oven until it cools off a bit. We got some nice cool evenings here lately so I decided to make a meatloaf.

Had the meatloaf, garlic and herb infused mashed potatoes, fresh green beans and biscuits with beef gravy last night.

It was great. Had a cold meatloaf sandwich for lunch today! Great once again!

I've been hankering after a good meat loaf dinner too. They don't sell the meatloaf combo packs out here anymore. I asked the lady that works in the meat department why, and she said the Board of Health won't let them. But the combination of those three chopped meats - veal, pork and beef - make for quite the tasty meat loaf.

MHO, that meatloaf combo is way overrated.

I stumbled across this meatloaf recipe years ago and it is the best, by far. It's super easy, foolproof and is really good. Plus, it only calls for 1.5 lbs ground beef which is easier on the wallet than the meat trio combo.

I want my meatloaf on the simple side. I don't want pieces of chunky vegetables in there. I don't want to eat messed up, fussy meatloaf.

I got this recipe from allrecipes.com. I just checked and it has 3,288 reviews and received 4.5 out of 5 stars so I am not the only person who freaking loves this loaf.

EASY MEATLOAF

(The broad who came up with this recipe is not kidding. It is SO easy!)

1 1/2 lbs ground beef (I like to use the 20% fat package of beef. It will keep the meatloaf moist with that extra fat and fat makes things taste good.)

1 egg

1 cup milk (whole milk at least but I usually use a combo of whole milk and heavy cream)

1 cup dried bread (or cracker) crumbs

salt/pepper, to taste

2 Tbl brown sugar

2 Tbl prepared mustard

1/3 cup ketchup

(I always add sautéed grated onion, chopped garlic and some dried herbs - usually basil/oregano - to the meat mixture before baking.)

Preheat oven to 350°.

Combine beef, egg, milk, bread/cracker crumbs and salt/pepper in large bowl. Turn onto foil-lined baking sheet and form into a loaf. Combine brown sugar, mustard and ketchup in bowl and pour over meatloaf.

Bake in 350° oven for 1 hour.

I'm making this tomorrow night. Can't decide on a vegetable though. Am having mashed potatoes with it.

HA! So am I! Meatloaf gets a bad rap but it's so good. I always, always serve mashed potatoes on the side too. Seems a sin not too. For another vegetable, anything works, peas, steamed broccoli, roasted carrots... it really doesn't matter. Or just skip a second side vegetable and just serve some hot buttered rolls.

• Like 3

Pot Roast is $4.99 a pound this week. I am going to watch the reduced for quick sale meat bin and hope that one shows up in it!

Autumn is definitely in the air and my mouth is really watering for either a good pot roast, or pork roast, with mashed potatoes and carrots and gravy.

I also rarely turn on my oven until it cools off a bit. We got some nice cool evenings here lately so I decided to make a meatloaf.

Had the meatloaf, garlic and herb infused mashed potatoes, fresh green beans and biscuits with beef gravy last night.

I've been hankering after a good meat loaf dinner too. They don't sell the meatloaf combo packs out here anymore. I asked the lady that works in the meat department why, and she said the Board of Health won't let them. But the combination of those three chopped meats - veal, pork and beef - make for quite the tasty meat loaf.

I stumbled across this meatloaf recipe years ago and it is the best, by far. It's super easy, foolproof and is really good. Plus, it only calls for 1.5 lbs ground beef which is easier on the wallet than the meat trio combo.

I want my meatloaf on the simple side. I don't want pieces of chunky vegetables in there. I don't want to eat messed up, fussy meatloaf.

I got this recipe from allrecipes.com. I just checked and it has 3,288 reviews and received 4.5 out of 5 stars so I am not the only person who freaking loves this loaf.

EASY MEATLOAF

1 1/2 lbs ground beef (I like to use the 20% fat package of beef. It will keep the meatloaf moist with that extra fat and fat makes things taste good.)

1 egg

1 cup milk (whole milk at least but I usually use a combo of whole milk and heavy cream)

salt/pepper, to taste

2 Tbl brown sugar

2 Tbl prepared mustard

1/3 cup ketchup

(I always add sautéed grated onion, chopped garlic and some dried herbs - usually basil/oregano - to the meat mixture before baking.)

Preheat oven to 350°.

Combine beef, egg, milk, bread/cracker crumbs and salt/pepper in large bowl. Turn onto foil-lined baking sheet and form into a loaf. Combine brown sugar, mustard and ketchup in bowl and pour over meatloaf.

I'm making this tomorrow night. Can't decide on a vegetable though. Am having mashed potatoes with it.

Sounds good,

But I would use Panko bread crumbs.

For inside a meatloaf, or inside anything that calls for bread crumbs/crackers to be used, it truly doesn't matter. Panko is great for an outer coating though on something being fried or baked because it has that great crunch. But you aren't looking for a, "crunch" when it's on the inside of something so it's fine to use anything. You're just looking for a carb to help bind the items together in something that needs to keep a shape, like meatloaf or crab cakes.

Troutman, I will look, but don't think I've ever seen them in the store.

Look in the Asian section.

I'm glad you told me that because I never look in that section. I would have only looked where they have the regular bread crumbs.

You should look at everything in every aisle Lorraine! You are missing out on a lot of interesting things. :)

• Like 3

EASY MEATLOAF

1 egg

salt/pepper, to taste

2 Tbl brown sugar

2 Tbl prepared mustard

1/3 cup ketchup

Preheat oven to 350°.

Sounds good,

But I would use Panko bread crumbs.

For inside a meatloaf, or inside anything that calls for bread crumbs/crackers to be used, it truly doesn't matter. Panko is great for an outer coating though on something being fried or baked because it has that great crunch. But you aren't looking for a, "crunch" when it's on the inside of something so it's fine to use anything. You're just looking for a carb to help bind the items together in something that needs to keep a shape, like meatloaf or crab cakes.

Well,

Thats what I use and prefer. But yes, great for battered shrimp.

Edited by troutman
  • Like 2

Here's my Panko bread crumb story.

Looked in the Asian section and happened upon them for $3.49 - on sale. :unsure: The first thing that popped into my mind was Troutman saying they are really cheap. Then I thought - well, what's cheap to Troutman isn't cheap to me. :no: It was a little box too. Probably just enough for one use. :sigh: So, I nixed that idea and kept looking around. I happened upon the section where I would normally have gone to get bread crumbs, and - lo and behold - they had a slew of panko bread crumbs at a much more Lorraine affordable price - $1.89 for an 8 oz. box! :)

Also decided to have something with the meat loaf and mashed potatoes that I used to love as a little girl, and could never understand why my little friends didn't love it like me - spinach!

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 2

Here's my Panko bread crumb story.

Looked in the Asian section and happened upon them for $3.49 - on sale. :unsure: The first thing that popped into my mind was Troutman saying they are really cheap. Then I thought - well, what's cheap to Troutman isn't cheap to me. :no: It was a little box too. Probably just enough for one use. :sigh: So, I nixed that idea and kept looking around. I happened upon the section where I would normally have gone to get bread crumbs, and - lo and behold - they had a slew of panko bread crumbs at a much Lorraine affordable price - $1.89 for an 8 oz. box! :)

Also decided to have something with the meat loaf and mashed potatoes that I used to love as a little girl, and could never understand why my little friends didn't love it like me - spinach!

Yeah,

There are different more costly brands. Hope it works out for you.

• Like 1

I didn't care for the meat loaf. It lacked something. I only put a 1-1/2 teaspoons of salt in. It definitely needed more. But, better to need salt than have too much. :)

Next week: pork roast.

Tomorrow: I have a quite a few boxes of pasta around and some great sauce in the freezer. Think I'll have that with some shredded cheese on top.

• Like 2

I didn't care for the meat loaf. It lacked something. I only put a 1-1/2 teaspoons of salt in. It definitely needed more. But, better to need salt than have too much. :)

Next week: pork roast.

Tomorrow: I have a quite a few boxes of pasta around and some great sauce in the freezer. Think I'll have that with some shredded cheese on top.

Meat Loaf is one of those things you need to experiment with,

I make a mean mexican meat loaf. :D

• Like 1

I added sauteed onions to it, but that didn't seem to help the meatloaf although it really enhanced the mashed potatoes.

What else could I have added to it to give it more flavor? I didn't think the meatloaf topping added much to it either.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

I added sauteed onions to it, but that didn't seem to help the meatloaf although it really enhanced the mashed potatoes.

What else could I have added to it to give it more flavor? I didn't think the meatloaf topping added much to it either.

What I like to do is,

Put half of it in the pan then layer it with some pepper jack cheese. Then add the rest. Also, I do not use ketchup at all. Some type of salsa or hot sauce. Good stuff :drool:

• Like 1

What I like to do is,

Put half of it in the pan then layer it with some pepper jack cheese. Then add the rest. Also, I do not use ketchup at all. Some type of salsa or hot sauce. Good stuff :drool:

Yes, but what do you put in the chopped meat to mix it with?

I'm going to try your Mex meatloaf the next time.

The best thing about the one I made is that the beef I used was from a cattle ranch. So it wasn't processed like all the stuff you buy in the store. I usually don't like any meat direct from anyone who raises animals. They all have a funny taste. But this beef didn't.

• Like 1

What I like to do is,

The best thing about the one I made is that the beef I used was from a cattle ranch. So it wasn't processed like all the stuff you buy in the store. I usually don't like any meat direct from anyone who raises animals. They all have a funny taste. But this beef didn't.

I mix the meat with the salsa or hot sauce. Not just pour it on top. My mother was a really good cook but I hated her meat loaf. I would be at the dinner table for at least two hours trying to get through it. Later on in life I just started trying different ways to make it. It is endless. You can always come up with some type besides the basic recipe.

• Like 1

What I like to do is,

I mix the meat with the salsa or hot sauce. Not just pour it on top. My mother was a really good cook but I hated her meat loaf. I would be at the dinner table for at least two hours trying to get through it. Later on in life I just started trying different ways to make it. It is endless. You can always come up with some type besides the basic recipe.

My mother made a great meatloaf. I remember she always put two or three strips of raw bacon on top of the meatloaf before putting it in the oven. I don't know if that's what gave it the flavor. I tried doing it several times, but it never worked for me.

I think I'll just resort to buy a meatloaf mix at the store and dumping it in. :LOL:

• Like 3

What I like to do is,

My mother made a great meatloaf. I remember she always put two or three strips of raw bacon on top of the meatloaf before putting it in the oven. I don't know if that's what gave it the flavor. I tried doing it several times, but it never worked for me.

I think I'll just resort to buy a meatloaf mix at the store and dumping it in. :LOL:

Never,

Make the basic meat loaf. You can always come up with some thing thats interesting. Its like chili or pot roast. :D

I love a good pot roast. Makes the house smell wonderful, too.

That's just 'Merica, my friends.

• Like 2

So what are the best cuts of meat to buy for a roast? I see different cuts of meat being called roasts at the store but I don't know which are best.

So what are the best cuts of meat to buy for a roast? I see different cuts of meat being called roasts at the store but I don't know which are best.

The one I always use is the beef that is advertised Boneless Chuck Pot Roast.

I'm not much of a cook, so I can't tell you about other beef cuts that are used.

I'm sure that you can get it a lot cheaper than they sell it for out here. For some reason I've never been able to understand, everything is priced higher out here.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

The one I always use is the beef that is advertised Boneless Chuck Pot Roast.

I'm not much of a cook, so I can't tell you about other beef cuts that are used.

I'm sure that you can get it a lot cheaper than they sell it for out here. For some reason I've never been able to understand, everything is priced higher out here.

I love the chuck roast in the slow cooker. :drool: