Will Jeff Gordon retire with 100 career wins?

KenJennings

9 members have voted

1. 1. Will Jeff Gordon win 100 races in his career?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Will Jeff Gordon win a fifth championship in his career?

• Yes
    • No

Looking at the current standings; Jeff Gordon will likely end the 2014 NASCAR season having accumulated more points than anyone else on the circuit. This will be the seventh time he has accomplished this feat. No matter how the championship is eventually awarded, it's a feat that has only been equaled by Richard Petty and Dale Earnhardt- and they won championships for each of those seven seasons.

Looking at the current standings; Jeff Gordon will likely end the 2014 NASCAR season having accumulated more points than anyone else on the circuit. This will be the seventh time he has accomplished this feat. No matter how the championship is eventually awarded, it's a feat that has only been equaled by Richard Petty and Dale Earnhardt- and they won championships for each of those seven seasons.

Do you like the new "playoff" format?

No. Not at all.

For 55 years, the champion was the driver who earned the most points in the season.

I don't have a problem if they want to change the way those points are distributed, which they've done several times- but resetting that progress to zero at arbitrary times in the season does not make sense for a sport where 43 teams are competing against each other every week.

Edited by KenJennings

No. Not at all.

For 55 years, the champion was the driver who earned the most points in the season.

I don't have a problem if they want to change the way those points are distributed, which they've done several times- but resetting that progress to zero at arbitrary times in the season does not make sense for a sport where 43 teams are competing against each other every week.

lol, the same reason I hate cautions. The leader is constantly penalized.

I hate this shitty system. All it does is lessen the chance that the most deserving driver won't win the championship.

I hate this shitty system. All it does is lessen the chance that the most deserving driver won't win the championship.

The best part of this system is insuring you have to be good at all 10 chase tracks. Homestead is one of the only tracks Jimmie Johnson hasn't won at because he's already got the championship wrapped up. Now you've got to be able to win at Homestead to get the championship. It should make for an interesting race.

The best part of this system is insuring you have to be good at all 10 chase tracks. Homestead is one of the only tracks Jimmie Johnson hasn't won at because he's already got the championship wrapped up. Now you've got to be able to win at Homestead to get the championship. It should make for an interesting race.

I think this format is backfiring big time on NASCAR. They've lost a lot of the sports biggest stars (and lightning rods) with Johnson, Jr, and Kyle Busch eliminated. If the championship comes down to the last race with Newman, Edwards, Kenseth, and Hamlin, none of whom were anywhere near the best drivers this season, and one of them wins by finishing fourth, it will be even worse.

It's OK if the driver that wins isn't at the top of the popularity charts, but if they're also not the driver who had close to the best season, they won't be looked at as a legit champ, I don't think.

Doesn't look like he'll make it.

He's retiring at the end of the 2015 season. With at least 93 wins (all modern era) and 4 championships (would be 7 under the rules that Earnhardt won his under), Gordon's name has to go down as one of the 2 or three best ever, if not the best ever.

Doesn't look like he'll make it.

He's retiring at the end of the 2015 season. With at least 93 wins (all modern era) and 4 championships (would be 7 under the rules that Earnhardt won his under), Gordon's name has to go down as one of the 2 or three best ever, if not the best ever.

I've been at work and not able to see anything but the headlines. Do you think after a year or two he'll miss it and come back?

They're officially saying this is his final "full time" season, so the door is open to see him run part time schedules in the future...

But I have my doubts. Jeff Gordon isn't the guy itching to race all the time. He's not like Mark Martin or Terry Labonte running Busch or Trucks while in cup: he's a focused guy, and he was like that even before his back issues flared up.

If he does run select races, I think they will be few and far between with very high quality cars, competing for wins.

A lot of the talk suggests Chase Elliott will fill his seat at Hendrick. I just hope they change the number. Let's let the 24 rest a while.

Edited by KenJennings

It makes me sick how the pinheads in the sports media are ignoring this story. Gordon is a transcendent figure like Jeter, Manning or Jordan, yet they're to busy talking about Belicheck's squishy balls.

Some respect here... one of the greatest sports figures of all time is ending an amazing career in his prime. Attention is deserved.

Edited by KenJennings

In related news, this picture was taken at a photo shoot being done for NAPA earlier this week.

http://www.jayski.com/schemes/2015/sprintcup/images/25napa-shop.jpg

I assume Hendrick still owns the 25...