California Breed..from the ashes of Black Country Communion

Well it's a positive review but I'll need to hear more songs.

They seem to painting this as Glenn was just hanging around a bar somewhere in LA and he just bumped into this guitar whiz kid and knew they just had to form a band. The speed with which this band came together though makes it seem to me that Glenn scoured the earth for a new guitar wunderkind to outdo Bonamassa, like he's on the rebound and he wants to make his old girlfriend jealous. I mean why has Glenn not discovered a guy like this before in all his 40 odd years in music? He always uses grizzled veteran guitarists in his solo bands or teams up with an established star in other projects.

Edited by treeduck

Another promising review:

Talk about nailing an opening! The Glenn Hughes vocal that smashes in over the heavy riff of opening track ‘The Way’ is stunning. We all know the man can sing but does he really need to lift the bar that impossibly high? If you thought you had heard real Rock from Black Country Communion I have to honestly tell you to sit down and strap in for this one. ‘The Way’ is rock the way it should be: crashing drums, lead-heavy bass groove and guitars that bite hard and don’t stop. And this is only the beginning!

‘Sweet Tea’ that you have probably all heard by now has a similarly huge groove and outstanding vocal, but allows the guitar to rip through the groove to show why Andrew Watt is such an integral part of this set up along with Bonham (who has never sounded better) and Hughes. ‘Chemical Rain’ that follows ups the guitar further on a song that has both a Zeppelin-like quality and a hypnotic groove that sweeps your feet from beneath you. To be blunt I don’t think I have ever heard a vocal performance like this and we are only three songs in. If ever you were looking for an album to re-kindle your love of Hard Rock this is one that will make it burst into flames.

The opening to ‘Midnight Oil’ will have you thinking again of Zeppelin, but the song slides and burns and grooves and turns till you’re dizzy as it echoes The Stones with a wonderfully soulful female backing vocal that just highlights the depth here. Taking it down a notch ‘All Falls Down’ underlines that versatility and brings the sweet blues, teary-eyed to the banquet table, Ronson would be proud.

‘The Grey’ injects back the urgency, but it’s a song that has a modern edge, almost dark at the edges, driving and essential. It’s the angriest we get here and simply stunning. ‘Days They Come’ brings a light that suddenly bursts into flames; and ‘Spit You Out’ is a real surprise almost poppy at the onset, but with a real bluesy groove as the song progresses, it’s the sort of song that gives credence to Hughes assertion that this simply isn’t JUST a Classic Rock album.

As the album progresses it gets more experimental, so much so it leaves you wide-eyed in wonder about the possibilities this band has to offer. ‘Strong’ starts with a strummed acoustic and creates an atmosphere that allows the band to explore and shine, held together with a powerful vocal and equally strong riff. It’s the most esoteric song here, but in a good way, and makes you wonder where this could all lead. ‘Invisible’ on the other hand is a huge beast of a song, full of space and with a mystic vibe and incredible sound. It’s a song that could be unimaginably powerful live, with some unearthly guitar, and immense drums: the sort of song you don’t want to end.

‘Scars’ hits a groove running as the guitar wails and bass sets the pace. It’s a foot-stomper, born of the Blues with a raw vocal that can’t fail but to set your hair on end. Closer ‘Breathe’ does just that, gives you time to catch your breath, before it throws you into the air again. Opening with acoustic guitar, it’s at it’s heart a ballad, that builds into an epic, all lean and muscular, with wails and cascading guitar before it eases out again with just the acoustic. What an album…

The stunning thing about California Breed is that is that they manage not only to create an incomparable Hard Rock album, but that they manage to make it sound so absolutely essential. And no, this doesn’t sound like an album looking back and recapturing the spirit of days gone by, this is an album to move us all forwards, as Hughes himself said “It’s proper rock, but at the same time it’s very now”. And that’s the magic of it all.

If this is what California Breed has to offer there’s a very real danger that the world is going to fall in love with Hard Rock all over again. After decades in the shade Rock has risen again, bigger and stronger than ever before. This is the album of year, any year…

Footnote: If I could force just one album into the X-Box and mobile-phone shaped hands of the youth of the world this is the one…

Glenn Hughes: vocals, bass guitar

Jason Bonham: drums

Andrew Watt: guitars

Produced by Dave Cobb

Here's some info and an interview with Nikki Sixx on his radio show (I'm listening to it now).

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/california-breed-interviewed-by-nikki-sixx-audio/

Album tracklisting:

01. The Way

02. Sweet Tea

03. Chemical Rain

04. Midnight Oil

05. All Falls Down

06. The Grey

07. Days They Come

08. Spit You Out

09. Strong

10. Invisible

11. Scars

12. Breathe

13. Solo*

Andrew Watt is a soulful singer/songwriter and multi-instrumentalist whose high-energy aggressive style and creative spirit are synonymous with New York City.

Hughes says: "I live in the moment, it's all about NOW. CALIFORNIA BREED is exactly where I live, breathe and where my freak flag flies."

Midnight Oil

I like this one more than Sweet Tea. There´s more groove, more light and shade, and it seems that Glenn is at last close to accomplishing his wish to join funk and 70´s rock properly. And Jason is shining here!

• Like 1

Midnight Oil

I like this one more than Sweet Tea. There´s more groove, more light and shade, and it seems that Glenn is at last close to accomplishing his wish to join funk and 70´s rock properly. And Jason is shining here!

You couldn't have pulled the thought out of my head with more precision. Agree on all counts.

Just found out about this band this morning, hence my reason for making the other thread. I'm pretty excited about this. Glenn wrote most of the songs for BCC. The real magic of that group was his song writing, and especially his singing. Yes, it was great that my favorite guitar player, Joe Bonamassa, was in the band, rocking out and ripping insane solos. But Joe's real magic is as a solo artist. So now we have more of The Voice of Rock in a hard rock band with a great drummer and a super talented guitarist who is short on resume, but long on promise. I need to pre-order my copy so hopefully I can get it on the 19th.

I like the album. The songs out now are reasonably indicative of what you're going to get, although I would say that if you like what you've already heard (Sweet Tea and Midnight Oil) there are BETTER songs on this record still coming, so take consolation in that.

My trifle is that Andrew Watt, while a competent rhythm player and singer, isn't much of a lead guy....at all, should that mean anything to you. And it might, seeing the band's style has drawn comparisons to Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix, etc. Those expecting some fine guitar breaks are going to be sorely disappointed. This was the fellow who it's said would make you forget about Joe Bonamassa and Black Country Communion, but that's simply not the case by my estimation.

Honestly the album makes the better case that they should be a foursome with a proper lead guitarist than the next great power trio. And while they're heavier and brassier than BCC's blues-rock base, California Breed is not necessarily better. You're not only lacking some much needed quality solos, you're also lacking the texture, color, and space filling organ that was present in BCC. (We knew ahead of time that there would be no keyboards, but the fullness of the songs suffer a bit for this).

Anyhow...I'm a long way from having really absorbed the record. Barely at all, in fact, but I do indeed like it and think that with additional listens I'll enjoy it all the more. I am a bit miffed that Watt's burgeoning talents were a bit overstated, though, but that's Glenn Hughes for you too.

Edited by Presto-digitation
  • Like 1

I just got it today and managed to get to the middle of the fifth song, All Falls Down. So far I like it a lot except for the fact that there are pretty much zero guitar solos on it, and from what Digi says, it is that way through the entire rekkid. I like Watts playing and his tone, and I had read where he was not a shredder, and that's not a problem. But come on! Doyle Bramhall II is not a shredder, but he kicks on his fuzz box and delivers strong, convincing solos. A couple of those first two songs were screaming for guitar breaks, but we just got more of Glenn Hughes screaming. And I do like that, but I'm just disappointed, so far, in this one area.

Jason Bonham's drumming is thunderous. He just keeps getting better and better.

The songs, so far, are well written and constructed. A lot of high energy and intensity is present. Track five, All Falls Down, brings the tempo down, but still remains extremely powerful.

Overall, I will like it because the songs are good, the singing is great, the drumming is great, and the guitar playing is solid with great tone. But where are the solos?

• Like 1

I just got it today and managed to get to the middle of the fifth song, All Falls Down. So far I like it a lot except for the fact that there are pretty much zero guitar solos on it, and from what Digi says, it is that way through the entire rekkid. I like Watts playing and his tone, and I had read where he was not a shredder, and that's not a problem. But come on! Doyle Bramhall II is not a shredder, but he kicks on his fuzz box and delivers strong, convincing solos. A couple of those first two songs were screaming for guitar breaks, but we just got more of Glenn Hughes screaming. And I do like that, but I'm just disappointed, so far, in this one area.

The songs, so far, are well written and constructed. A lot of high energy and intensity is present. Track five, All Falls Down, brings the tempo down, but still remains extremely powerful.

Overall, I will like it because the songs are good, the singing is great, the drumming is great, and the guitar playing is solid with great tone. But where are the solos?

There's a bit of one in Midnight Oil, which is ok but he doesn't really do anything interesting, it's just a quick generic blues-rock guitar solo with decent tone. I haven't got the album yet I've only seen the two videos on youtube so far. I'm not sure if I'm going to get it after your report because while I thought the songs were ok they didn't blow me away and if there isn't any crazy guitar solos as well, then what have we got? There's nothing to pull me back to the album when it's left on the shelf gathering dust...

• Like 1

When it comes to Glenn Hughes and his recent work I think this album is the pinnacle (along with BCC):

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/37/Glenn_Hughes_-_Music_For_The_Divine.jpg

I don't even care about the guitar playing (which is solid and workmanlike) on this album because the songs are so good!

• Like 1

When it comes to Glenn Hughes and his recent work I think this album is the pinnacle (along with BCC):

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/37/Glenn_Hughes_-_Music_For_The_Divine.jpg

I don't even care about the guitar playing (which is solid and workmanlike) on this album because the songs are so good!

I'll have to get it.

There's a bit of one in Midnight Oil, which is ok but he doesn't really do anything interesting, it's just a quick generic blues-rock guitar solo with decent tone. I haven't got the album yet I've only seen the two videos on youtube so far. I'm not sure if I'm going to get it after your report because while I thought the songs were ok they didn't blow me away and if there isn't any crazy guitar solos as well, then what have we got? There's nothing to pull me back to the album when it's left on the shelf gathering dust...

There is actually a solid, satisfying guitar solo in All Fall Down.

I'll have to get it.

There is actually a solid, satisfying guitar solo in All Fall Down.

Yeah you need to get that one, the drummer is Chad Smith, I don't know the guitarist but there's a couple of guests John Frusciante and Jerry Cantrell.

Here's a couple of songs from it: