Neil's Drum Solo Origins

sfuentes

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ May 18 2005, 08:09 PM)
He gets his solos by listening to live recordings from the last tour and playing them note for note.

What?

Listen to Different Stages, Rio, and any R30 bootleg. The drum solo is EXACTLY THE SAME on all of them. Maybe the sections are in a different order but he plays all the same parts. I say he changes it up or it goes completely, and I say this as a drummer.

QUOTE (MysticRhythm @ May 19 2005, 09:11 AM)
No! On the R30-Tour he played different things, new Snaredrum-Parts for example, it's not all the same. And I Say this as a drummer.  biggrin.gif

He may play different parts, but he's used the same formula for his solos ever since the T4E tour. Quite frankly I'm with PuppetKing on this one. To me his solos are getting rather boring now because it's the same formula night after night and now in this case, tour after tour. I would rather see something more original and creative from one of the best rock drummers to ever live. And this, comming from a drummer.

He said in the RIR documentary that he keeps "some elements the same" and adds or changes some things every time... I kind of like it that you can hear parts of previous solos like from the early days like ESL and you can hear a bit of that in his new solos... I like it a lot NeilFinal.gif

QUOTE (kazzman @ May 19 2005, 08:37 AM)
QUOTE (MysticRhythm @ May 19 2005, 09:11 AM)
No! On the R30-Tour he played different things, new Snaredrum-Parts for example, it's not all the same. And I Say this as a drummer.  biggrin.gif

He may play different parts, but he's used the same formula for his solos ever since the T4E tour. Quite frankly I'm with PuppetKing on this one. To me his solos are getting rather boring now because it's the same formula night after night and now in this case, tour after tour. I would rather see something more original and creative from one of the best rock drummers to ever live. And this, comming from a drummer.

They could play two songs in the time it takes for Neil to play his same old repetitive solo as the last 4 tours.

I'll take two songs over a drum solo that I've heard 2 million times any day.

Although two extra songs sound very nice, I still prefer a solo. I would be very disappointed if he did not. Plus, I have found that the easiest way to get someone into Rush who has never heard them before is to show them the Neil Solo, it blows people's minds. Us hard-core Rush fans have become more accustomed to them.

Yeah, I remember getting the modern drummer mag with pieces of 8 disc and listening to it on the old turntable. I think it was about 1988? He's been using "pieces" of that in his solos ever since. I can't believe he's done a solo for every show since the early days! Imagine having his job... Not feeling good at times and having to play all those Rush songs, remembering every little change and fill, then having to crank @ss on a solo for screaming fans?? There's no way you could do that unless you were in AAA+ excellent physical shape. Does Neil still smoke? That would surprise me. I wonder if he still reads a scripture out of the bible before each show. When Rush was with Polygram I know that was definately the case. Their promotor (name undisclosed) told me that at a party in Bloomfield Hills Michigan years ago. We used to smoke reefer all weekend long when he lived next to my Brother. He remembered Neil as "quite eccentric". He promoted Bon Jovi and many others. What a tough job. He is responsible for getting bands their hotels, whores, and coke (oh yeah, and get paid like $500,000/year).

QUOTE (the_masked_drummer @ May 20 2005, 03:24 AM)
Does Neil still smoke? That would surprise me.

I think so. He said he quit at the end of Ghost Rider but in Travelling Music he talked once or twice about smoking on the VT tour. And in that interview in Classic Rock magazine in October they mentioned that he was during the interview. And there were some backstage photos from the R30 tour and he was holding a cigarette in one of them.

I know Geddy quit in the early-to-mid 80s, and I have no idea about Lerxst. In the Rio documentary he said that he quit ("now it's the secondhand smoke that I have to worry about - my second hand, it always has a cigarette in it.") He SAID he quit, but he jokes about so many things, I don't know whether or not to take anything he says seriously anymore. Anyone have any more info on this? I would like to know.

I wonder if he still reads a scripture out of the bible before each show. When Rush was with Polygram I know that was definately the case.

Now THIS is surprising, since Neil is an atheist.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ May 20 2005, 12:32 PM)
Does Neil still smoke? That would surprise me.

I think so. He said he quit at the end of Ghost Rider but in Travelling Music he talked once or twice about smoking on the VT tour. And in that interview in Classic Rock magazine in October they mentioned that he was during the interview. And there were some backstage photos from the R30 tour and he was holding a cigarette in one of them.

I know Geddy quit in the early-to-mid 80s, and I have no idea about Lerxst. In the Rio documentary he said that he quit ("now it's the secondhand smoke that I have to worry about - my second hand, it always has a cigarette in it.") He SAID he quit, but he jokes about so many things, I don't know whether or not to take anything he says seriously anymore. Anyone have any more info on this? I would like to know.

Wow... a little deja vu. wink.gif

Archived