best rush cd's to buy

vitalsigns66

i am from australia. i am new to rush. i have 2 cd's moving pictures & permanent waves. also i just ordered signals. can any rush experts out there tell me in their opinion their best work.

Welcome to our happy Rush family! bekloppt.gif

Some of my faves are the later works, like CP, T4E, and VT.

If you like the proggish stuff like MP and PeW, check out earlier stuff like Farewell To Kings, Hemispheres, and especially 2112.

I also dig HYF and Presto, heck they're all good but the aformentioned might suit your tastes for a beginner.

QUOTE (vitalsigns66 @ May 8 2005, 08:26 PM)
i am from australia. i am new to rush. i have 2 cd's moving pictures & permanent waves. also i just ordered signals. can any rush experts out there tell me in their opinion their best work.

Remember, 2.gif is not AC/DC. They have alot of different types of music I would say 2112, Counterparts, AFTK & for a "live" version ATWAS 653.gif it is there first live album but it is their best in my opinion unsure.gif

troutman & the beagle trink39.gif

Fly By Night

Hemispheres

Grace Under Pressure

Power Windows

Counterparts

Vapor Trails.....wait for the Remaster tho'

Rush in Rio

...............ooh, you just need to get them all. These are some of the best 653.gif

First off, you're welcome mate.

My advice would be to pick up the "Different Stages" live album - It features a good cross section of their work over the first two CDs, and there's a third disc with a lot of early stuff on it.

In terms of albums, I'd say Hold Your Fire is a good representation of their 80s keyboard orientated phase, Counterparts reflects their return to guitar orientated rock, and for their earlier stuff, assuming you go for Different Stages, the one I'd recommend is A Farewell To Kings.

Hold back on Vapor Trails for a while, as a remastered version is being released by Atlantic in the near future (we hope), and that should sound better than the original.

You are going to get a variety of suggestions here.

If you plan on getting all the albums, I would start from the beginning and work your way to their recent work. You get a feel of the evolution from album to album.

I personally like to listen to Roll The Bones and Counterparts the most.

Hemispheres is a must have. But Madra's recommendation of Different Stages is an excellent one! I would definately pick that one up because it does, as Madra said, span their career well.

You need to experience the full blown epics of the 70's! For this I recomend 2112, A Farewell To Kings and Hemispheres. Some Fantastic material on these three albums yes.gif

Or you could always get the Retrospective compilations to see what era of 2.gif you most prefer..

It's all good stuff cool.gif

QUOTE (vitalsigns66 @ May 9 2005, 02:26 AM)

Whoaa!!

Ask a question like that here, and you will end up with 'the entire catalogue' as the answer. So many peeps with their own faves.

Madra's answer is similar to mine tho. Get the live albums first. The tracks that you like the most, you can then single out the albums they are on and get those studio albums.........first........gradually you'll end up with them all. smile.gif

Welcome aboard !!! You'll be changing your pin number to 2112 in no time at all [it's proably the pin number for 25% of the peeps on this board!]

It has to be said you've started with some blinders [blinder means excellent in england - dunno if it means the same in Australia], I'm excited just knowing the thrillt you've got coming with Signals: the opening of Digital Man, that instrumental section in The Weapon...my friend you are in for a treat !!

As to go where to go next, I'll throw my lot in with Madra's choice - Different Stages would be a great disc to get. It covers a lot of the "different stages" of their career so you can get a flavour of what each is like. Personnally, I love A Farewell to Kings from their prog era, though you'll have as many people saying you ust get the albums which came before and after it: 2112 and Hemispheres. It's got to be a good sign that the hardened fans can't agree on which ae the 'best' albums...

Disco

Wow, your going through Rush the same way I did when I first got into them. I also got MP and PerW first, followed by Signals not too long after. From there, my next one was 2112, followed by Hemispheres and A Farewell To Kings. Any of those 3 would be a fine choice.

Hemispheres is a must have along with 2112/ All the worlds a stage- newer work (Power Windows) Vapor Trails Heck all of them start with those first

A RUSH FAN FOR 28 yrs

QUOTE (jmdyyz @ May 9 2005, 09:36 PM)
Hemispheres is a must have along with 2112/ All the worlds a stage- newer work (Power Windows) Vapor Trails Heck all of them  start with those first

A RUSH FAN FOR 28 yrs

yes, all of the above, especially ATWAS !!! also a 2.gif fan for 28 yrs. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I can see how for some bands, there is a definitive album that is far better than all the rest. But with Rush, the only answer to your question is "ALL OF THEM!"

There is such a broad spectrum of style in Rush, it's impossible to say which one album is best. Some people swear Presto is the best Rush album ever, others think it's by far the worst. But most of us like all their stuff for different reasons.

I would say the one album not to buy, or buy last, is the first album (Rush). It's just a different, much older, and simpler style compared to the rest of their catalog.

Your best bet would be to get a compilation CD and see what you like. I just got a friend into Rush and he likes the Spirit of Radio mix CD that is in most stores now. I would say pick up that, and one live album, either Different Stages or Rush in Rio to catch some of the newer stuff from the 90's onward. That would also give you a taste of how incredible these guys are live. Master mucisians who can replicate what they craft in the studio with perfection.

Cheers,

~Titan

Archived