Did Rush Hump The Whale?

Tick

I think they did, big time. They were cruising along making successful album after album, until the 90's. I think it was a whole era different for the band. It was nothing the likes of which we had never heard. It was at this juncture that IMO, Rush humped the Whale. I know some will give me a hard time, and that's ok. Your all entitled to your own opinions, and I can respect them, but for me, this is a clear cut fact. yes.gif atickhum.gif

Do you mean Sexually? Cause if you do..I can clearly see Alex doing that! :codger:

No, they didn't. Unfortunately many of their fans are trapped in an era that only comprised eight years of a forty year career.

Well, if you're referring to '74 through '81, as I imagine you must be, that period produced eight studio albums, or 42% of their studio output (8 of 19). Seen that way, it doesn't seem unreasonable to define them by a period that comprises nearly half of their studio LPs if you happen to think those are superior to what followed. Just because they released them in a relatively short amount of time seems beside the point; it doesn't make the recent music more significant just because five years pass between releases. Also, most of the classic Rush curmudgeons allow Signals into the pantheon, making "classic" 9 of 19. Allowing GUP pushes the good ol' stuff into the majority. I'm happily trapped in that half of their catalog (though I do often listen to VT, the only post GUP album I don't cherry pick).

I think they did, big time. They were cruising along making successful album after album, until the 90's. I think it was a whole era different for the band. It was nothing the likes of which we had never heard. It was at this juncture that IMO, Rush humped the Whale. I know some will give me a hard time, and that's ok. Your all entitled to your own opinions, and I can respect them, but for me, this is a clear cut fact. yes.gif atickhum.gif

RTB and T4E are better than most of the GuP-Presto output.

No, they didn't. Unfortunately many of their fans are trapped in an era that only comprised eight years of a forty year career.

Well, if you're referring to '74 through '81, as I imagine you must be, that period produced eight studio albums, or 42% of their studio output (8 of 19). Seen that way, it doesn't seem unreasonable to define them by a period that comprises nearly half of their studio LPs if you happen to think those are superior to what followed. Just because they released them in a relatively short amount of time seems beside the point; it doesn't make the recent music more significant just because five years pass between releases. Also, most of the classic Rush curmudgeons allow Signals into the pantheon, making "classic" 9 of 19. Allowing GUP pushes the good ol' stuff into the majority. I'm happily trapped in that half of their catalog (though I do often listen to VT, the only post GUP album I don't cherry pick).

I won't deny, even to myself, that I can listen to every album from AFTK through GUP without skipping a song more than two or three times but I don't think their later material necessarily lowers to a level that would be on par with humping whales or jumping sharks or just going through the motions. I never have believed and will never believe that Rush and it's collection of world class musicians are collectively capable of just getting together and saying "Ah, the hell with it." and churning out a bunch of crap. Will their materail appeal to all fans, some of whom discovered them for the first time as teenagers? Of course not. But there is a lot of material between Power Windows and CA that is top shelf, can't live without it stuff. Just my .02.

And in response to your comment about "defining them"; Rush isn't a band that can be defined. They are much too versatile and have covered too many different sounds to be a band that you can point at say "There, that there is what they sound like." I had that same argument with a friend of mind one night when he attempted to point out to me that all bands have a signature sound and that after long enough it all is so easily identifiable as that band. I then proceeded to play the first minute of Circumstances followed by the first minute of Middletown Dreams. The argument ended right there.

Edited by Snyder80

One thing I'll grant the '90s output is that it has aged well (mostly, there are the exceptions of course); better than most its contemporaries at least. I listened to Teenage Fanclub's Bandwagonesque on the way home last night. GREAT album, still love it. But, it does undeniably sound very much like an album of its era (released in '91) and I can't help but be aware of that as I listen to it. As much as I love that album, it's not a "timeless" album (granted, no album really is in theory, but some are more so than others).

In contrast to the Spin "album of the year"-winning Bandwagonsesque, the '90s Rush albums were so unhip at the time because they weren't grunge or shoegaze or coffee shop baritone any of the other stuff going on. Yet, that helps them now. I like or don't like the songs on their own merit, not because they succeed or fail as a representative cultural time capsule. Still don't love the material on the whole, but I definitely appreciate it more than I used to, and can at least now understand why someone would like it, and at least now think it deserves to be liked.

So, I don't think they humped the whale or whatever with RtB through T4E; they did what they wanted to do and it doesn't seem to resonate with people as much as their other material. For me personally, PoW through Presto is the whale hump, but most Rush fans seem to like them. Different strokes.

Edited by Rutlefan

The 90's is probably their Worst Decade, With the 00's not far behind. I'm really not a fan of their recent output......but i can't fault for trying stuff that's new to them. They sure try not to coast on old sounds. I just really dislike that rush turned into Foo Fighters on CA, lol

Mick

• Like 2

I listened to S&A and CA straight through recently, trying to find some more love. I like them even less now.
  • Like 1

I listened to S&A and CA straight through recently, trying to find some more love. I like them even less now.

I like Snakes not gonna lie......good not great. CA is just puke on a stick.

Mick

I love the "sound" of S&A; the songs are just so weak.

Mick

I was listening to a couple of songs on CA the other day and I think I've figured out part of the problem. Geddy has his bass so distorted it sounds like a sonic mess. I'm not so sure it's the production itself anymore, but I think with the distorted guitars, and the distorted bass it's just too much. He used to have much less "grind" in his tone than he does now. That happened with John Entwistle and I wonder if it's partly due to the hearing going a bit as he's getting older?

• Like 1

Mick

I was listening to a couple of songs on CA the other day and I think I've figured out part of the problem. Geddy has his bass so distorted it sounds like a sonic mess. I'm not so sure it's the production itself anymore, but I think with the distorted guitars, and the distorted bass it's just too much. He used to have much less "grind" in his tone than he does now. That happened with John Entwistle and I wonder if it's partly due to the hearing going a bit as he's getting older?

My problem with CA is it's a sonic mess.......and i will say that no matter how tired it is........cause if some can overcome their fandom.....it's a TRUE point. it's a mess. It's a musical assault. lol.

Mick

:ph34r: No comment on the 00 albums. Just hope they get it just right if there is a next one. Great concept and songs and production. To many good songs were wasted with sh*t production. Guess I did comment after all. Oops....
  • Like 1

:ph34r: No comment on the 00 albums. Just hope they get it just right if there is a next one. Great concept and songs and production. To many good songs were wasted with sh*t production. Guess I did comment after all. Oops....

they need to do 3. things for me.

1. Great songs

2. Great production.

3. And please.......Pretty pleasse.......under an hour!!!!!! 40-45 mins. Cut the fat.

Mick

• Like 4

1. Great songs

2. Great production.

3. And please.......Pretty pleasse.......under an hour!!!!!! 40-45 mins. Cut the fat.

Mick

I forgot that part. It sure is a pleasure I must admit to go back and listen to any old rock album and see the 38-42 minutes so commonplace.... :cheers: Short and great beats the other
  • Like 1

1. Great songs

2. Great production.

Mick

I forgot that part. It sure is a pleasure I must admit to go back and listen to any old rock album and see the 38-42 minutes so commonplace.... :cheers: Short and great beats the other

Oh i know. I love music dearly.......but if you hit say.....50 mins my eyes start to glaze. I don't care how much i love your music........you are not that good, lol Tom Waits included, lol he's done the same.

Mick

• Like 2

Mick

My problem with CA is it's a sonic mess.......and i will say that no matter how tired it is........cause if some can overcome their fandom.....it's a TRUE point. it's a mess. It's a musical assault. lol.

Mick

Right I agree. But I think a large part of why it's a sonic mess is due to too much distortion all around. Well other than a lot of the songs aren't that great, but that's not due to the distortion. :LOL:

• Like 1

I'm fortunate enough to enjoy, in some part, material from each of their albums. T4E and Presto are the albums that I choose the least amount of songs off of but then again, the music I do listen to off of those records, I love. I enjoy their exploratory nature and will always welcome new material with the acceptance that they will never make an album again that sounds like Moving Pictures or Permanent Waves or Signals.