Rush songs that pushed their boundries

Schro

I had a thread a bit ago on Rush songs that took awhile to grow on you. This might be related but I still thought it justified a new topic. (if it doesn't I'll just be talking in my corner here by myself lol - won't be the first time)

My question here: Rush has always been evolving - which songs do you think they pushed outside themselves the most?

These are Rush songs you like that, if you could step outside yourself, you would be a bit surprised you that you like them, because they carried a different sound than you were used to hearing from the boys.

Here's a couple from my list:

Jacob's ladder scared.gif

Aside from the odd time signitures, one could make an argument that this doesn't seem like a Rush song. It repeats alot, not very reminiscent of the band. There's no aggressive bass line for Geddy. No guitar solo. Obscure (even for Neil) lyrics. At many points, there's just a simple single-note keyboard melody driving the entire song.

But damn if I can't get enough of this song! Despite the above, I must say that it takes me to a very Rush-like place. It's about atmosphere and building momentum. It captivates me.

Middletown Dreams unsure.gif

I had a really hard time with this album in general when it first came out. But MD was one of those that especially didn't click with me. Melody-wise it was a bit confusing, you couldn't tell if the guitar was driving the song or the keyboards. Neil goes into story-telling mode that seems to go all over the place, and the drumming seems a bit subdued.

But now I like the story Neil tells and don't mind how it wanders around a bit. And I don't see the guitar and keyboards competing so much as bouncing off each other. I think it helped introduce me to a different way a song can be held together.

Let's hear from you guys,

cool.gif

Schro

Hmmmm... These are hard to think of. One that springs to my mind is Cold Fire. When I first that first line it kind of suprised me. I hadn't heard Neil write an almost love song before. To me it didn't really sound like the boy's style music or lyric-wise. This song took me a long time to get to like. I felt like Neil was starting to be like everyone else, writing songs about relationships and whatnot. I don't mind anymore. It's still not one of my favorites, but it has a good melody and mood. It's just different.

If you don't mind me saying, I think that, in some ways, this is a slightly redundant topic. The one thing that has always attracted me to Rush is that fact that, although they have a signature sound, the only thing you can expect from Rush is that they will do something unexpected.

That said, the times they have caught me on the hop are:

Red Lenses -

If any song, by any band, defies categorization, its this one. A mixture of feels, rhythms and moods, coupled with lyrics that are almost stream of consiousness, makes this a song in a genre of its own.

Summertime Blues:

Rush doing a cover!!!!

I don't really like Fountain Of Lamneth but it was the forefather of epics like 2112 and Hemispheres.

I agree with Slaine, Red Lenses is definitely a song that pushed them in an unusual direction. And for some reason, I've always loved this song. It's a complete departure from anything they've ever done.

Well originally being a lover of their old material as I was introduced to them with the likes of Hemispheres. AFTK, Fly By Night etc, I would say that the first songs that I thought was a bit diverse for them, that I found myself liking were 'Time Stand Still' and 'Red Sector A', also 'The Body Electric' and 'Emotion Detector'. I think its no surprise after listing these, that they all come from the mid-80s era, a kind of transitional period for them in my opinion.

QUOTE (rickyrob @ Feb 22 2005, 02:27 AM)
Well originally being a lover of their old material as I was introduced to them with the likes of Hemispheres. AFTK, Fly By Night etc, I would say that the first songs that I thought was a bit diverse for them, that I found myself liking were 'Time Stand Still' and 'Red Sector A', also 'The Body Electric' and 'Emotion Detector'. I think its no surprise after listing these, that they all come from the mid-80s era, a kind of transitional period for them in my opinion.

Couldnt have said it better myself. The first Rush albums I heard where 2112, AFTK and Hemispheres so the stuff they did in the 80's period I found very diverse compared to the older stuff. Manhatten Project is a good example for me.

A song that fits the proposed description for me would have to be KID GLOVES. When i first heard that song it was when i had bought GUP and my first reaction was what a cool intro!! the song continued and it did have a lot of Rush elements, however, there was a certain feeling to the song that touched me in a different way than most Rush songs.

It could be because the song somewhat escapes the theme of the other songs on the album.....at least musically.

QUOTE (Let The Fray Begin @ Feb 23 2005, 09:50 PM)
Mystic Rythms. I absolutely hated that song when I first heard it. For me, it didn't sound like Rush's other work... slow and overly drawn out... however, I have come to like the song as much as any other smile.gif

Great song. Much better live than on Power Windows. yes.gif trink39.gif

The first song that really jumped out at me and screamed 'OK, this is different' was "Natural Science". Plenty of others followed, but that was the first...

AM Rush

When I first listened to Rush, I started with Moving Pictures and Permanent Waves, Signals followed not more then a couple weeks later. So most of that material didnt seem that different to me. Then I started working my way through thier back catelog and eventually picked up the Rush album maybe a year later. I had heard Working Man on the radio a bit, but was actually suprised with the direction of most of the material on that album. Songs like Take a Friend, Need Some Love, What You're Doing, to me those all seemed like songs that could have easily been Led Zeppelin covers. I was used to hearing music from a band that wrote completely original and complex material, and now I'm hearing them play could-be Zep tunes. I am sure not many of you can relate here, as thier first album was probably one of your first, but for relatively new fan such as myself (didnt even hear of them until about half a year before Geddy's solo album), I was suprised at that material.

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Feb 25 2005, 12:01 PM)
When I first listened to Rush, I started with Moving Pictures and Permanent Waves, Signals followed not more then a couple weeks later. So most of that material didnt seem that different to me. Then I started working my way through thier back catelog and eventually picked up the Rush album maybe a year later. I had heard Working Man on the radio a bit, but was actually suprised with the direction of most of the material on that album. Songs like Take a Friend, Need Some Love, What You're Doing, to me those all seemed like songs that could have easily been Led Zeppelin covers. I was used to hearing music from a band that wrote completely original and complex material, and now I'm hearing them play could-be Zep tunes. I am sure not many of you can relate here, as thier first album was probably one of your first, but for relatively new fan such as myself (didnt even hear of them until about half a year before Geddy's solo album), I was suprised at that material.

Wow.

My best friend was sitting in my room listening to Rush with me, and he even commented "These could be Zeppelin covers."

This wasn't more than a week ago, striking coincidence I'd say... its clear they changed their musical direction a bit for Fly By Night.

Archived