RUSH'S FEEDBACK ALBUM

RUSHRAUEN

QUOTE (Slim @ Jan 26 2005, 10:24 AM)
QUOTE (RUSHRAUEN @ Jan 25 2005, 11:36 PM)
FIRST OF ALL I LOVE RUSH THEY ARE GREAT AND NEIL WALKS THE PLANET AS FAR AS DRUMMERS ARE CONSIDERED.  THAT IS WHY I FIND HIS DRUM SOUND ON FEEDBACK HORRIBLE.

Do you really not have the intelligence required to operate a caps-lock key?

I agree with you to an extent about Feedback, however. Although I can't claim to have paid close attention to the drum sound, overall it's a dreadful record. I think they murdered those old songs frankly, the Rush versions are graceless, hamfisted, cheesy and shoddy. A great shame. More here.

I read that link. I forced myself past the first paragrah, and am posting it here to display why I completely disagree with it.

I must say I was a little saddened on hearing that Rush were to release a mini-album of cover versions. The band had never recorded nor performed a cover of another artist's material since their earliest days - and the old "return to our roots, paying homage to our influences" ploy is of course the tactic of many an ageing band, short of ideas of their own.

Who in their right mind could ever accuse Rush of being short of ideas? WRONG. Short of time is more like it, which is the reason they did the EP of covers. Or would this writer expect a full blown production attempt in the same three weeks it took to record Feeback???? After reading this line, I just could not take this writing seriously, at all. There are plenty of critical comments about Rush that I can completely understand. They are not for everybody - not by a long shot. But the notion that they are short on ideas is just silly.

If they weren't gearing up for the R30 Tour, I have total confidence that we'd all be holding in our hands the latest studio release after Vapor Trails. Holy shit - this isn't that hard to fit the pieces together in one's mind... and this is what the writer comes up with???

The final line:

Overall, a miserable effort, I'm sorry to say. As I write, the band are currently on their 30th anniversary tour; after listening to Feedback I think it's probably time to call it a day.

For anyone who saw the R30 show - I think this diplays another reason I cannot buy into this critique. You can count on one hand (with missing fingers) the number of bands still rocking the way these guys do after so many years.

I disagree with you Slim. I think Feedback is incredible to listen to and I have yet to tire of it. I recognize the spirit in why it was made, I embrace the style in which is was recorded - and only wish I could have been hanging out on one of the throw pillows in the studio next to a lava lamp while they were jamming. yes.gif

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd just like to comment about the whole "Rush is terrible now and should pack it in" line of reasoning that RUSHRAUEN brought up. For me personally, they have gotten better with age. I still remember going to work the day after the R30 concert and getting a phone call from an old friend I hadn't seen in years. Turns out he was there at the same show I was. The first words out of his mouth were "Are those guys sick or what? Is it just me or do they sound better everytime I hear them?" I wholeheartedly agreed with him, as I was thinking the same thing during the show.

QUOTE (war2112 @ Jan 26 2005, 01:51 PM)
I'd just like to comment about the whole "Rush is terrible now and should pack it in" line of reasoning that RUSHRAUEN brought up. For me personally, they have gotten better with age. I still remember going to work the day after the R30 concert and getting a phone call from an old friend I hadn't seen in years. Turns out he was there at the same show I was. The first words out of his mouth were "Are those guys sick or what? Is it just me or do they sound better everytime I hear them?" I wholeheartedly agreed with him, as I was thinking the same thing during the show.

Like a fine Cigar, 2.gif

I agree with you war2112.....it's hard to believe, but, true....they sound even better!! Who the heck is this gibbon dude, anyway. He obviuosly knew nothing of the origin of the idea for 'Feedback'. I thought the treatment the boys gave those old songs was an honest straightforward attempt to honor the originals......as they were inspired .......and probably would have performed them back in those days......After all, these recordings were done in what ???? 3 weeks..

Give me a break........the boys were just trying to give us something...before the tour.

Now, an attempt to 'get juiced' as Geddy says , and to give the fans something...before the tour...now gets the label of washed up or maybe money grab?

I, for one, am NOT buying that...

2.gif ROCKS........

STILL.............

QUOTE (bytorcygnus @ Jan 26 2005, 01:25 PM)
I agree with you war2112.....it's hard to believe, but, true....they sound even better!! Who the heck is this gibbon dude, anyway. He obviuosly knew nothing of the origin of the idea for 'Feedback'. I thought the treatment the boys gave those old songs was an honest straightforward attempt to honor the originals......as they were inspired .......and probably would have performed them back in those days......After all, these recordings were done in what ???? 3 weeks..

Give me a break........the boys were just trying to give us something...before the tour.

Now, an attempt to 'get juiced' as Geddy says , and to give the fans something...before the tour...now gets the label of washed up or maybe money grab?

I, for one, am NOT buying that...

2.gif ROCKS........

STILL.............

Hell yeah!! I've seen every tour since RTB and that's nothing compared to some other folks here. But every tour gets better, and better, and better. Don't believe me? Put on Red Sector A from RIR or DS - compared to ASOH. WOW. Heavier. Thicker. Tighter. BETTER. You have to think to yourself how that could be possible time and time again -- that you walk out of each show proclaiming that was the greatest f'ing thing you've ever witnessed. Yet - next tour... BAM they top themselves.

653.gif 653.gif

Hey pg.love your signature line...

If you want something done right.........

That's also one of my favorite Rush t-shirts..

trink39.gif

I agree with you war2112.....it's hard to believe, but, true....they sound even better!! Who the heck is this gibbon dude, anyway. He obviuosly knew nothing of the origin of the idea for 'Feedback'.

laugh.gif

I am the 'gibbon dude'. I've been a fan of the band for 28 years, and I think I know the reason for the Feedback album as well as anyone; I simply don't believe the publicised reason about wanting to pay 'tribute to those we had learned from'.

I'm sure they were simply too short of ideas to record an album of original material, and the cover album which ensued sounds terrible, in my opinion.

QUOTE (bytorcygnus @ Jan 26 2005, 01:38 PM)
Hey pg.love your signature line...

If you want something done right.........

That's also one of my favorite Rush t-shirts..

trink39.gif

trink39.gif Thanks! Yeah I've got that t-shirt as well. It's awesome!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Slim @ Jan 26 2005, 01:39 PM)
I agree with you war2112.....it's hard to believe, but, true....they sound even better!! Who the heck is this gibbon dude, anyway. He obviuosly knew nothing of the origin of the idea for 'Feedback'.

laugh.gif

I am the 'gibbon dude'. I've been a fan of the band for 28 years, and I think I know the reason for the Feedback album as well as anyone; I simply don't believe the publicised reason about wanting to pay 'tribute to those we had learned from'.

I'm sure they were simply too short of ideas to record an album of original material, and the cover album which ensued sounds terrible, in my opinion.

You are indeed entitled to your opinion.But, I personally find it negative and shortsighted- not to mention out of step with what I know to be the history of Rush and what motivates them.

Just IMHO....

QUOTE (paganoman @ Jan 26 2005, 11:11 AM)
FIRST OF ALL I LOVE RUSH THEY ARE GREAT AND NEIL WALKS THE PLANET AS FAR AS DRUMMERS ARE CONSIDERED.  THAT IS WHY I FIND HIS DRUM SOUND ON FEEDBACK HORRIBLE.

I agree with you to an extent about Feedback, however. Although I can't claim to have paid close attention to the drum sound, overall it's a dreadful record. I think they murdered those old songs frankly, the Rush versions are graceless, hamfisted, cheesy and shoddy. A great shame. More here.

I read that link. I forced myself past the first paragrah, and am posting it here to display why I completely disagree with it.

I must say I was a little saddened on hearing that Rush were to release a mini-album of cover versions. The band had never recorded nor performed a cover of another artist's material since their earliest days - and the old "return to our roots, paying homage to our influences" ploy is of course the tactic of many an ageing band, short of ideas of their own.

Who in their right mind could ever accuse Rush of being short of ideas? WRONG. Short of time is more like it, which is the reason they did the EP of covers. Or would this writer expect a full blown production attempt in the same three weeks it took to record Feeback???? After reading this line, I just could not take this writing seriously, at all. There are plenty of critical comments about Rush that I can completely understand. They are not for everybody - not by a long shot. But the notion that they are short on ideas is just silly.

If they weren't gearing up for the R30 Tour, I have total confidence that we'd all be holding in our hands the latest studio release after Vapor Trails. Holy shit - this isn't that hard to fit the pieces together in one's mind... and this is what the writer comes up with???

The final line:

Overall, a miserable effort, I'm sorry to say. As I write, the band are currently on their 30th anniversary tour; after listening to Feedback I think it's probably time to call it a day.

For anyone who saw the R30 show - I think this diplays another reason I cannot buy into this critique. You can count on one hand (with missing fingers) the number of bands still rocking the way these guys do after so many years.

I disagree with you Slim. I think Feedback is incredible to listen to and I have yet to tire of it. I recognize the spirit in why it was made, I embrace the style in which is was recorded - and only wish I could have been hanging out on one of the throw pillows in the studio next to a lava lamp while they were jamming. yes.gif

And I would have been with you on the next throw pillow Pags- probably passing the Pipe... cool10.gif

I enjoy Feedback for what it is worth, a cover of great material done by my absolute FAVOURITE band. And I am on the edge of my seat until the next studio album....

trink39.gif here's to some great new tunes and another Tour!

QUOTE (sundog @ Jan 26 2005, 04:09 PM)

The final line:

And I would have been with you on the next throw pillow Pags- probably passing the Pipe... cool10.gif

I enjoy Feedback for what it is worth, a cover of great material done by my absolute FAVOURITE band. And I am on the edge of my seat until the next studio album....

653.gif WHOOOOO HOOOOO<<cough cough cough here cough cough cough>>

QUOTE (paganoman @ Jan 26 2005, 05:37 PM)

The final line:

laugh.gif

QUOTE (bytorcygnus @ Jan 26 2005, 04:01 PM)
You are indeed entitled to your opinion.But, I personally find it negative and shortsighted- not to mention out of step with what I know to be the history of Rush and what motivates them.

Just IMHO....

Well it IS negative, granted, but realistically so, I would say. Shortsighted? I can't see that .. laugh.gif

As for motivation, well- what motivates someone in their 20s isn't necessarily what motivates them in their late 40s or 50s. In any case, I don't think that motivation is the key, here - I think that every artist or band has a finite quantity of creativity, of inspiration - the evidence for this is overwhelming, so many bands make a few great albums then go downhill.

I think it may boil down to this: Rush have nothing to prove; they've done it all, they have a dedicated fanbase, a creditable career behind them, they know that they aren't going to be any bigger than they are and the success they were striving for when they recorded albums like 2112 and Signals has already been theirs, for a long time. I'm sorry to say it, but I don't think they care about what they record nearly so much. I don't think they'd have been happy to unleash a dog like Feedback into the world in (say) 1980.

That's a speculative theory of course, but what's not speculative for me is that Feedback is a terrible, badly-done, pitiful, hamfisted and shoddy recording. It made me wince when I listened to it.

QUOTE (paganoman @ Jan 26 2005, 04:37 PM)

The final line:

Pags you let out too much smoke if you pronounce the H in here- always remember to hold it in as best you can... It should come out sounding more like

"Ear" cool10.gif icon_really_happy_guy.gif

What up? Ear........

cool10.gif

And Slim....you DON"T get it.Rush has always been about recording what they wanted.Have you not read their comments through the years..They have NEVER been counseled by their record label as to what,when, or how to record...BECAUSE they were never lacking creativity.The sheer volume and breadth of their works speaks to the fact they recorded what they FELT...not under the pressure of sales,record execs. or otherwise.

Sorry, you can't sell that bill of goods here.

Try down the street......

Say at the Rolling Stone Cafe.....talk about out of ideas.....

moon.gif

Well... I am amazed...

What gives you the authority to say if Neil is a better drummer now or then...

I have never seen such devoted drummer...

I saw Rush in the Globe Arena in Stockholm... I cried... smile.gif

I was so happy...

QUOTE (stumas66 @ Jan 26 2005, 08:17 PM)
Well... I am amazed...
What gives you the authority to say if Neil is a better drummer now or then...
I have never seen such devoted drummer...
I saw Rush in the Globe Arena in Stockholm... I cried... smile.gif
I was so happy...

trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (sundog @ Jan 26 2005, 06:28 PM)
Pags you let out too much smoke if you pronounce the H in here- always remember to hold it in as best you can... It should come out sounding more like
"Ear"  cool10.gif  icon_really_happy_guy.gif

OMG - laugh.gif laugh.gif

icon_really_happy_guy.gif icon_really_happy_guy.gif icon_really_happy_guy.gif

QUOTE (RUSHRAUEN @ Jan 25 2005, 09:36 PM)
FIRST OF ALL I LOVE RUSH THEY ARE GREAT AND NEIL WALKS THE PLANET AS FAR AS DRUMMERS ARE CONSIDERED. THAT IS WHY I FIND HIS DRUM SOUND ON FEEDBACK HORRIBLE. I KNOW DRUMS AND HE MOST DEFINATELY HAS THE TOP OF THE LINE DRUMS THAT MONEY CAN BUY AND THEY SHOULD SOUND LIKE DRUMS AND EVERY DRUM DISTINGUISHABLE FROM THE NEXT. NOT ALL THE SAME TUPPER WARE SOUNDING GARBAGE. I DONT THINK HE WAS DELIBERATELY TRYING TO DO THIS .....WHY? THINK ABOUT NEIL AND HOW PICKY HE IS, HE HAS BEEN QUOTED AS SAYING HOW CRAPPY DRUMS SOUNDED BACK THEN SO WHY WOULD HE TRY TO RECREATE THAT SOUND NOW REGARDLESS IF THIS IS A COVER ALBUM OF SONGS FROM THAT TIME. AS FOR BASHING RUSH, HARDLY THEY ARE GREAT BUT THEY ARE LOSING THERE TOUCH, BETWEEN THE HORRIBLE SOUND OF VAPORTRAILS AND THE CHEESY WAY OVER DONE LAYERING OF VOCALS FROM PRESTO ON I THINK GEDDY HAS TOO MUCH CONTROL. QUOTE OUT OF FEEDBACK......NEIL COMMENTING ON NOT TOO MANY BACKING VOCALS FOR THE FEEDBACK ALBUM. SO OBVIOUSLY HE DOESNT CARE FOR THEM EITHER. I SYMPHATHIZE WITH NEIL WITH WHAT HE HAS BEEN THROUGH BUT TO ME VAPOR TRAILS WAS NOTHING MORE THAN A SOUNDTRACK FOR HIS BOOK GHOST RIDER. GREAT BOOK. FEEDBACK WAS GREAT IN THE SENSE THAT IT SOUNDED LIKE OLD RUSH. VERY LITTLE IF ANY BACKING VOCALES AND NO KEYBOARDS JUST THREE GUYS JAMMING. AS FOR NEILS STYLE NOW, I LIKED HIM BETTER WHEN HE WAS TRYING TO OUT DO EVERYONE, WHICH HE DID MANY TIMES OVER. BUT NOW THAT HE HAS PROVEN HIMSELF MANY TIMES OVER IT SEEMS AS IF HE DOESNT FEEL LIKE DOING ANY MORE THAN HE HAS TO. I THINK HIS PLAYING IS VERY BORING TO LISTEN TO NOW ( HIS PLAYING ON ANY NEW MATERIAL) LISTENING AND WATCHING HIM CRANK OUT THE OLD STUFF IS STILL GREAT BUT THE NEW STUFF HE COMES UP WITH FOR ANY NEW MATERIAL...VAPORTRAILS ETC. IS PLAIN BORING. HE DOESNT SOUND ANY DIFFERENT THEN ANY OF THE OTHER WANNABE DRUMMERS DISGRACING OUR RADIO AIRWAVES IN CHEESY NO TALENT HERE TODAY GONE LATER TODAY BANDS LIKE CREED ETC. AGAIN , LOVE RUSH BUT THE AGE IS STARTING TO SHOW AND THE MUSIC IS GETTING LAME AND BORING AND VERY PREACHY. AS FOR CAPITAL LETTERS......I THINK I READ TWO PEOPLE CRYING ABOUT THIS......PEOPLE WHO WHINE ABOUT CAPITAL LETTERS BEING TYPED ON THE INTERNET ARE BASICALLY SAYING THEY SPEND WAAAAAAAAAAAAY TOO MUCH TIME ON THE COMPUTER AND SHOULD GET A LIFE OR A HOBBY.

THIS IS WHAT I THINK.....

I think since the older song sounds, well old...consider The Seeker....when Keith Moon does the drum fills in that song....it sounds just like what Neil is playing...I actually like that as you call it "tubaware" sound....to me it sounds like its an old song...if you get what i'm hearing. wink.gif I think Feedback is a great album with great sound! cool.gif

QUOTE (RUSHRAUEN @ Jan 25 2005, 10:01 PM)
to me an eyesore would be straining to see small letters.....hmmmmmmmmmm.

i did not say rush sucked but they are definately losing it. becoming to sophisticated with there sound. the over layering the massive over production and the HORRIBLE BACKING VOCALS. why doesnt geddy just have a choir sing the songs with him....example the chorus for one little victory ....
one little victory. ahhhhhhhhhahhhhhhhhhhhh one little victory .ahhhhhh ......ahhhhhhhhhhhh......STUPID. think about that on something like tom sawyer.......mean mean pride....ahhhhhhhhaahhhhhhhhhhhahaaa..though his mind is not for rent.ahhhhhhhhahhhhhhhhhhhhhh etc etc.

i rest my case.

Who is this guy? confused13.gif cool10.gif

QUOTE (D-13 @ Jan 26 2005, 06:27 PM)

i did not say rush sucked but they are definately losing it.  becoming to sophisticated with there sound.  the over layering the massive over production and the HORRIBLE BACKING VOCALS.  why doesnt geddy just have a choir sing the songs with him....example the chorus for one little victory ....
one little victory. ahhhhhhhhhahhhhhhhhhhhh  one little victory .ahhhhhh ......ahhhhhhhhhhhh......STUPID.    think about that on something like tom sawyer.......mean mean pride....ahhhhhhhhaahhhhhhhhhhhahaaa..though his mind is not for rent.ahhhhhhhhahhhhhhhhhhhhhh etc etc. 

i rest my case.

Someone who thinks he can get his point out just by typing in all caps...

tongue.gif

QUOTE (sfuentes @ Jan 26 2005, 09:37 PM)
QUOTE (D-13 @ Jan 26 2005, 06:27 PM)

i did not say rush sucked but they are definately losing it.  becoming to sophisticated with there sound.  the over layering the massive over production and the HORRIBLE BACKING VOCALS.  why doesnt geddy just have a choir sing the songs with him....example the chorus for one little victory ....
one little victory. ahhhhhhhhhahhhhhhhhhhhh  one little victory .ahhhhhh ......ahhhhhhhhhhhh......STUPID.    think about that on something like tom sawyer.......mean mean pride....ahhhhhhhhaahhhhhhhhhhhahaaa..though his mind is not for rent.ahhhhhhhhahhhhhhhhhhhhhh etc etc. 

i rest my case.

Someone who thinks he can get his point out just by typing in all caps...

tongue.gif

icon_really_happy_guy.gif icon_really_happy_guy.gif icon_really_happy_guy.gif

Archived