Presto "Remaster"

King Rygar

Hello dear friends,

Well, I just ordered the new Presto Remaster CD, does it really sound any better? I own the original CD, and while I do not consider myself an audiophile in any way, nor do I own a stereo system that is even worth mentioning, the origianl sounded damn great to me. At least to my ears. Why did they decide to remaster all these newer CD's?

And when are the DVD-Audio/SACD versions coming? I had heard they were gonna do those as well.

P.S. I finally got my first ever copy of Power Windows, damn good CD, I Say! I especially like the few songs I had never heard, i.e. Grand Designs, Emotion Detector, etc... It was almost like getting a new Rush album! (Well, you know what I mean...) fing.gif

Hey Rygar - yeah I'm dying to know what the newer remaster sound like, but don't have any. Let us know when it arrives. So cool you picked up Power Windows - it's such an amazing CD. You've got some 'new' Rush material to go crazy for a while - you can't beat that!!

Yeah, that's how I felt about HYF. 1022.gif

oh, am i old...

i can remember going to the mall when i was 14 and buying power windows on cassette. it was monday and the release wasn't till tuesday. i asked the guy if he had the release yet. he did and i got it a day early. i felt like i got one up on everyone.

QUOTE (lrob2112 @ Dec 14 2004, 12:30 AM)
oh, am i old...

i can remember going to the mall when i was 14 and buying power windows on cassette. it was monday and the release wasn't till tuesday. i asked the guy if he had the release yet. he did and i got it a day early. i felt like i got one up on everyone.

Oldie alert, oldie alert!!!!!!

14 when PW came out????

Huh, I was only 21!!

Test, if Presto "needs" to be remastered, it should to make it more full sounding but that's about it. Usually remastering is to get rid of blurriness, muddiness or too much bass of the original mixes. Those Rupert Hine produced recordings are as clear as a bell.

If anything needs clearing up, even after the Rush Remaster series, I'd say Hold Your Fire needs it big time. That stuff sounds like an FM broadcast. Love the album, but the sound is very restricted.

2.gif Personally, I think the remasters of the newer Rush albums are just a money grabbing exercise by the record companies. I don't really believe the sound could be that much improved. I've already bought multiple copies of several Rush albums (five Farewell to Kings: 2 lps, 1 cassette, 1cd and 1 remastered cd) so think I'll hold out for the SACD versions.

QUOTE (neilpeart_gal @ Dec 15 2004, 08:51 AM)
Sort of off subject, but my Counterparts remaster CD (that I bought in Toronto, thank you!) nearly got stuck in my car CD player this morning! Eeeeeeeeek!!!!!!!!

I guess there could be worse CDs to get stuck tho. wink.gif

one of my co-worker's got his Different Stages CD stuck in his jeep's CD player...he doesn't mind! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Dec 14 2004, 12:59 PM)
QUOTE (lrob2112 @ Dec 14 2004, 12:30 AM)
oh, am i old...

Oldie alert, oldie alert!!!!!!

14 when PW came out????

Huh, I was only 21!!

Well hold on here! I suddenly feel like that old writer in "Losing it". When I was 14 I went out and got the new RUSH album Fly by night! I had never heard them (I thought) but my cousin had said that Kiss and Rush were the best bands around. I already liked Kiss, so when I saw that RUSH album in the shop window I bought it unheard.

As I got home and played it, I couldn't figure out where I had heard that voice before? It was so familiar, but what the hell was it? Then as By-tor came on, it struck me that a friend of mine had recorded a great song on the radio, about the struggle between good and evil. That was it! I quickly called him up and shouted "Hey, I know the name of that band, it's RUSH!"

And the rest is rushtory...

The Companion

Back to the Presto subject: In my opinion, it's clear enough OK, but to me it's one of their absolutely thinnest albums, both when it comes to the sound and song material - except a few gems, which is compulsory. But I mean, just compare e.g. "Earthshine" with "Scars" - which one rocks?

The Companion

QUOTE (A Companion Unobtrusive @ Dec 15 2004, 09:05 AM)
But I mean, just compare e.g. "Earthshine" with "Scars" - which one rocks?

The Companion

Yeah, okay..."Earthshine" absolutely rocks, but...I still love "Scars" too. biggrin.gif

I'm just weird that way.

QUOTE (BSG @ Dec 15 2004, 09:37 AM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Dec 15 2004, 10:15 AM)

The Companion

Yeah, okay..."Earthshine" absolutely rocks, but...I still love "Scars" too. biggrin.gif

I'm just weird that way.

fing.gif pokey.gif bsg.gif icon_really_happy_guy.gif

Gonna knock you off that *^%*& soapbox once and for all...

waffen093.gif bsg.gif

rofl3.gif

The Companion

I'm just weird that way.

I'm with you GG - Scars is amazing. And we need not have to worry about the live version, because Neil delivers the drum part during the electronic section of his drum solo. Presto to me, is a perfect sounding album. I don't use the word thin... spatial comes more to mind. I'm hoping the remaster just makes it a bit louder and allows for more presence and punch.

QUOTE (paganoman @ Dec 15 2004, 09:45 AM)

The Companion

I'm just weird that way.

I'm with you GG - Scars is amazing. And we need not have to worry about the live version, because Neil delivers the drum part during the electronic section of his drum solo. Presto to me, is a perfect sounding album. I don't use the word thin... spatial comes more to mind. I'm hoping the remaster just makes it a bit louder and allows for more presence and punch.

Thanks, pag man!

I LOVE listening to Scars in the car...nothing like making a big fool out of one's self in RUSH hour traffic.

wink.gif

Scars is a good tune, for sure. I don't have the Presto remaster, just the CD that came out when the album was released.

I've always like the tune "Anagram". 653.gif

Archived