A question about one of Neil's beats.

Entre_Perpetuo

So there's this one backbeat that Neil plays which always blows my mind. I'm not sure when he first started doing it, but it shows up very prominently in the verses of The Spirit Of Radio and also I think in Tom Sawyer, as well as a number of other songs I'm sure. Obviously there are variations between different songs, but it's when he switches over to the ride cymbal and starts playing this syncopated ride cymbal pattern that interlocks with the normal snare on 2 and 4 (at least it does on TSOR). Most drummers I've listened to don't really do much in the way of experimenting with different ride cymbal patterns, at least not in rock. But Neil has this one where...I mean it's almost like he's playing the intro pattern to YYZ as part of the back beat. It's not even 8th notes or 16th notes at all. I guess my question is does anyone know of other drummers Neil might have picked up this idea or the pattern specifically from? Did he more or less come up with it on his own? It's not the same thing as a jazz drummer might play on a swing beat, it's a bit more complex than that.

If you check this playlist titled Neil Peart Drum Lesson series

, it might provide the answer you need.

There! The one title Most Used Neil Peart Drum Beat is the beat I'm referring to. Glad to see I'm not the only one who's really in love with this beat.

I seem to recall an interview with Peart where said he got that pattern from some big band drummer.

Don't happen to recall which one do you?

I seem to recall an interview with Peart where said he got that pattern from some big band drummer.

I think he said the pattern is from “Mercy, Mercy, Mercy”, but it’s entirely possible my memory is completely off.

Edited by JARG
  • Like 1

I think he said the pattern is from “Mercy, Mercy, Mercy”, but it’s entirely possible my memory is completely off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkMdp6E5YsI

Says video is unavailable...what is it of?

Says video is unavailable...what is it of?

It's the “Mercy, Mercy, Mercy” song from the Burning For Buddy - A Tribute To The Music Of Buddy Rich album that Neil did in 1994.

I can hear the song, but I have a feeling that there's these stupid geographical restrictions in place.

What I discovered is that there's two YouTube channels with the Burning For Buddy - A Tribute To The Music Of Buddy Rich albums on them.

One is the Neil Peart - Topic YouTube channel and the other one is the Burning For Buddy - A Tribute To The Music Of Buddy Rich - Topic YouTube Channel.

When I go to the Burning For Buddy - A Tribute To The Music Of Buddy Rich - Topic YouTube channel and hear “Mercy, Mercy, Mercy”, it says unavailable for me. I found the song that's unlisted in my region on another user's playlist

However you can probably hear it in your region.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1N41hcYQG8

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 1