For collecting wise on vinyl I have

Acquiring the Taste

Three Friends

Free Hand

The Power and the Glory

Interview

Giant for a Day

Hoping to find the others

I have 'em all except for Interview (which I think was borrowed and never returned).

The hardest one to find was In a Glass House (w/cool translucent cover insert), although the debut was also pretty rare.

Paid 2.99 for Civilian at the local department store in the mid-80s. They had a whole batch of 'em - they even had a few GG 8 tracks in their "sale bin"!

Paid 15$ for a lame-looking Italian pressing of the debut. Damn good record though.

300px-Gg-debut-italian.jpg

Also found this somewhere along the way. Cool compilation, bizarro cover:

e0a16f30cee5e20d2dd4a7240530b526.jpg

They were strangely popular in Eastern Canada, so it was pretty easy to find their records in record stores or 2nd-hand places. I think I paid 25 cents for Acquiring the Taste, and 1$ for Three Friends! :o

I remember buying Three Friends at hermandads records in Hamilton, ontario, anyone remember that place? The store had all the cool imports.
  • Like 1

I would put them on a list of bands that those who like Rush would like although not as high up on that list as BOC, Kansas and Yes. GG are nonetheless an important band and I recommend them for anyone who is interested in discovering prog or those already into the genre who maybe either haven't come across them yet or haven't actually heard them yet. My favorites are free hand and Octopus and Three Friends but I think any of their albums up to the mid seventis are very good. They sort of dropped the ball at some point but even those albums had some good material on them even if it wasn't all prog. On a rather unrelated note I also recommend checking Van der Graaf Generator and Camel who are two other great(but overlooked unless you are a prog fan)prog bands from the seventies.
  • Like 1

I would put them on a list of bands that those who like Rush would like although not as high up on that list as BOC, Kansas and Yes. GG are nonetheless an important band and I recommend them for anyone who is interested in discovering prog or those already into the genre who maybe either haven't come across them yet or haven't actually heard them yet. My favorites are free hand and Octopus and Three Friends but I think any of their albums up to the mid seventis are very good. They sort of dropped the ball at some point but even those albums had some good material on them even if it wasn't all prog. On a rather unrelated note I also recommend checking Van der Graaf Generator and Camel who are two other great(but overlooked unless you are a prog fan)prog bands from the seventies.

Got Pawn Hearts a while back now.

Enthralling... but absolutely beyond strange.

I made a thread on VDGG a while ago one of my all time favorite bands (in my top 5). Peter Hammill is a genius.

http://www.therushfo...nerator-thread/

Being that you have a picture of him on your profile I'm not surprised. I actually met him once briefly and he seemed like a very down to earth guy(he even shook my hand and introduced himself even though I already knew who he was).

• Like 1

I made a thread on VDGG a while ago one of my all time favorite bands (in my top 5). Peter Hammill is a genius.

Being that you have a picture of him on your profile I'm not surprised. I actually met him once briefly and he seemed like a very down to earth guy(he even shook my hand and introduced himself even though I already knew who he was).

Thats awesome! what year did you meet him?

That's a very good question. I believe it was 2008.

Acquiring the Taste

Three Friends

Free Hand

The Power and the Glory

Interview

Giant for a Day

I have 'em all except for Interview (which I think was borrowed and never returned).

The hardest one to find was In a Glass House (w/cool translucent cover insert), although the debut was also pretty rare.

Paid 2.99 for Civilian at the local department store in the mid-80s. They had a whole batch of 'em - they even had a few GG 8 tracks in their "sale bin"!

Paid 15$ for a lame-looking Italian pressing of the debut. Damn good record though.

They were strangely popular in Eastern Canada, so it was pretty easy to find their records in record stores or 2nd-hand places. I think I paid 25 cents for Acquiring the Taste, and 1$ for Three Friends! :o

I remember buying Three Friends at hermandads records in Hamilton, ontario, anyone remember that place? The store had all the cool imports.

I got most of mine in Halifax or at local yard sales. :D

Dunno about Hamilton (The Hammer), but Toronto had tonnes of decent-to-great record stores back in the day (mid-late 80s). The block around Sam's/A&A on Yonge had at least 5 good ones, with plenty more down Queen West. Toronto was a great place to pick up albums - Montreal too!

Acquiring the Taste

Three Friends

Free Hand

The Power and the Glory

Interview

Giant for a Day

I got most of mine in Halifax or at local yard sales. :D

Dunno about Hamilton (The Hammer), but Toronto had tonnes of decent-to-great record stores back in the day (mid-late 80s). The block around Sam's/A&A on Yonge had at least 5 good ones, with plenty more down Queen West. Toronto was a great place to pick up albums - Montreal too!

For sure, i used to love cruising down the QEW in my 1971 Mustang, blasting the 8 track, and heading to Sam,s.
  • Like 1

That's a very good question. I believe it was 2008.

Really? Lucky. :)

He does seem pretty down to earth huh. His lyrics are some of the most harrowing in music history.

Heh, I know that guy. We used to live in the same area(didn't know him then)and would run into each other at prog festivals. We also wrote reviews on the same site at one point. He's very big into prog in general as well as hard rock, fusion and metal. He's a pretty big Rush fan too. Anyway, Peter does a very good job with his vlog and seems to have a lot of fun with it. If there's anyone I would call an expert on this stuff it would be him.

Anyway, you can't go wrong with any GG from the first album to interview but there's even some good tracks scattered on the rest of them.

• Like 1

Great band. Steven Wilson remasters. Yes.

Pun intended. LOL!!!!

Just listened to this remaster for the first time. Great job with the drums.

Made me want to check this one out:

:o :notworthy:

GG once went on tour with Black Sabbath. Things did not go well.

Derek Shulman: Touring with Black Sabbath was a nightmare. Actually, looking back it was one of the funniest periods of my life. They were on their second or third tour and we couldn't have gone down worse, no band could've gone down worse of they'd tried. This was our first time in America. It was in Los Angeles and we had somewhat of a cult underground following there. But it was clearly a Sabbath crowd. And during on e of the quieter songs, you know when the violin and cello are playing, a cherry bomb was thrown on stage. And my brother Phil - who was losing it on this tour anyway, he's had enough - he made us stop the song and he pointed to the audience and said, "You're a bunch of c**ts!" And the boo that went up was unbelievable, it was the funniest boo I've ever heard in my life. We couldn't carry on. It was so bad, it was funny.

• Like 2

Great band. Steven Wilson remasters. Yes.

Pun intended. LOL!!!!

Just listened to this remaster for the first time. Great job with the drums.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M052a5otl6k

Made me want to check this one out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBWPlsVcd18

:o :notworthy:

GG once went on tour with Black Sabbath. Things did not go well.

Derek Shulman: Touring with Black Sabbath was a nightmare. Actually, looking back it was one of the funniest periods of my life. They were on their second or third tour and we couldn't have gone down worse, no band could've gone down worse of they'd tried. This was our first time in America. It was in Los Angeles and we had somewhat of a cult underground following there. But it was clearly a Sabbath crowd. And during on e of the quieter songs, you know when the violin and cello are playing, a cherry bomb was thrown on stage. And my brother Phil - who was losing it on this tour anyway, he's had enough - he made us stop the song and he pointed to the audience and said, "You're a bunch of c**ts!" And the boo that went up was unbelievable, it was the funniest boo I've ever heard in my life. We couldn't carry on. It was so bad, it was funny.

Metal heads have always been a tough crowd to please.

• Like 2