Your favorite movie starring Mel Gibson?

Texas King

I also enjoy Payback...but that's mainly due to the scenes of Lucy Liu as a dominatrix :blush: :whipgirl:

http://66.media.tumblr.com/4a6577363e9ee9b75cc8304c7d0969c3/tumblr_mlk7p1HKGE1snlg72o1_400.gif

Edited by Your_Lion
  • Like 2

I'm not a big Mel Gibson fan. He always seems forced and unnatural. He never seems like the person he's playing he looks like actor acting, overacting mostly.

Yes.. I enjoy his films but what you just said is how I feel. Same goes to Tom Hanks.

Tom Hanks is one of those actors that is like Hollywood's "chosen one" who can do no wrong in the industry's eyes, and it's like the public has been hoodwinked into believing he's this genius who always puts in a tremendous performance instead of a hack comedy actor from the 80's.

I think he's very good if you like seeing the same performance over and over and over.

He's never rubbish. But I always feel like I am watching Tom Hanks: Movie Star and never a character.

His best films are The Burbs, The Money Pit and Bachelor Party.

I love The Burbs. I haven't seen either of the others!

I did sit through Bonfire Of The Vanities once. Not sure why I did that. It would have been less painful charging a car battery in the shower.

Both of you better check out Cloud Atlas, where he (TH), played six different characters and believe me, he's just brilliant there. Easy his best performance(s) and some epic acting!

Mel Gibson - Braveheart

I'm not a big Mel Gibson fan. He always seems forced and unnatural. He never seems like the person he's playing he looks like actor acting, overacting mostly.

Yes.. I enjoy his films but what you just said is how I feel. Same goes to Tom Hanks.

Tom Hanks is one of those actors that is like Hollywood's "chosen one" who can do no wrong in the industry's eyes, and it's like the public has been hoodwinked into believing he's this genius who always puts in a tremendous performance instead of a hack comedy actor from the 80's.

I think he's very good if you like seeing the same performance over and over and over.

He's never rubbish. But I always feel like I am watching Tom Hanks: Movie Star and never a character.

I did sit through Bonfire Of The Vanities once. Not sure why I did that. It would have been less painful charging a car battery in the shower.

Both of you better check out Cloud Atlas, where he (TH), played six different characters and believe me, he's just brilliant there. Easy his best performance(s) and some epic acting!

Mel Gibson - Braveheart

I am a huge fan of the novel...but I love it so much I fear the film may taint how I imagined it in my mind.

• Like 1

Mad Max was his best but I really like the remake of "The Bounty" where he starred alongside Hopkins and a load of great English actors.

Probably never known in the US because it didn't have an American in it, but a great film none the less

• Like 1

Mad Max was his best but I really like the remake of "The Bounty" where he starred alongside Hopkins and a load of great English actors.

Probably never known in the US because it didn't have an American in it, but a great film none the less

The Bounty is known and got a few good reviews ((also, 81% on RottenTomatoes if you're into that)) but for whatever reason it didn't perform well at the box office. Probably because it was being compared too much to the older version?

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 1

Mel Gibson - Braveheart

I am a huge fan of the novel...but I love it so much I fear the film may taint how I imagined it in my mind.

Have you ever seen a screen adaption better than the book? Hm, have to think about this.

My DVD's of Lord of the Rings are still wrapped, just because I wanna read the book one last time before I see the film. :hail:

Mel Gibson - Braveheart

Have you ever seen a screen adaption better than the book? Hm, have to think about this.

My DVD's of Lord of the Rings are still wrapped, just because I wanna read the book one last time before I see the film. :hail:

Better than the book:

Schindler's List

Never Let Me Go

Ben Hur (1959)

Gone With The Wind

Howl's Moving Castle

And I found Atonement as great as the book it was based on. Couldn't have been adapted better, whilst Lord Of The Rings is as entertaining as it could possibly get based on those books. (Note I don't claim they are superior...but in my opinion the extended cuts are pretty much the most perfect movies ever made).

Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Pt. 1 also matches the book near perfectly.

Mel Gibson - Braveheart

Better than the book:

Schindler's List

Never Let Me Go

Ben Hur (1959)

Gone With The Wind

Howl's Moving Castle

And I found Atonement as great as the book it was based on. Couldn't have been adapted better, whilst Lord Of The Rings is as entertaining as it could possibly get based on those books. (Note I don't claim they are superior...but in my opinion the extended cuts are pretty much the most perfect movies ever made).

Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Pt. 1 also matches the book near perfectly.

And Sex in the City Part Douche.

The Bounty is known and got a few good reviews ((also, 81% on RottenTomatoes if you're into that)) but for whatever reason it didn't perform well at the box office. Probably because it was being compared too much to the older version?

Nah Jonhny it didn't do well in the US because it didn't have Bruce Willis as Captain William Bligh and Ben Afleck as Fletcher Christian

Nah Jonhny it didn't do well in the US because it didn't have Bruce Willis as Captain William Bligh and Ben Afleck as Fletcher Christian

Bollocks to that. I don't like either one of those guys. Both are tolerable at their best

• Like 1

Bollocks to that. I don't like either one of those guys. Both are tolerable at their best

The only films that are successful in the US without and American "A lister" as the hero are the Bond Films

The only films that are successful in the US without and American "A lister" as the hero are the Bond Films

I say this with the deepest amount of respect:

BULLSHIT.

:LOL:

• Like 2

BULLSHIT.

Fair enough :P :P Name one. I mean a blockbuster not something arty farty

BULLSHIT.

Steve, what era are we talking about as far as the American films ?

If I start listing things, I want to be accurate

• Like 1

BULLSHIT.

Since this is the Mel Gibson thread, Apocolypto. Every American guy I know liked that movie. And not one of us knows any of the actors. Just all out violence.

And why would "arty farty" not count as long as it's the blockbuster that you're asking for? Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon might be arty farty but it was immensely popular and I certainly didn't see Ben or Bruce in it.

• Like 1

BULLSHIT.

Since this is the Mel Gibson thread, Apocolypto. Every American guy I know liked that movie. And not one of us knows any of the actors. Just all out violence.

And why would "arty farty" not count as long as it's the blockbuster that you're asking for? Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon might be arty farty but it was immensely popular and I certainly didn't see Ben or Bruce in it.

Pan's Labyrinth gets a lot of praise in the states too. I still don't know the actors. I only watched it because Guillermo del Toro was directing. Good movie

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 2

Mel Gibson - Braveheart

Braveheart was a very romantic version of what actually happened in history. Edward the first was a blood thirsty tyrant but so was William Wallace. The Scots get very passionate and roused by that film. Truth is everyone were savages in those days

BULLSHIT.

Pan's Labyrinth gets a lot of praise in the states too

OK fair enough, I don't know enough about films to disagree with you

Not sure I am understanding this, but .. Blockbusters with no A-Listers ?? ... That's a trap right there because once something becomes a blockbuster, those actors are the most sought after

Anyways

- The Blair Witch Project - made for nothing, by nobodies and was enormous

• Like 2

BULLSHIT.

Pan's Labyrinth gets a lot of praise in the states too

OK fair enough, I don't know enough about films to disagree with you

But you don't know enough to incorrectly assume Yanks only like Ben and Bruce blockbusters :poke: :LOL:

So far from the truth. I bet if you did a poll you'd find that Ben is disliked more than he's liked (as an actor anyway). He gets more respect as a director.

• Like 1

Not sure I am understanding this, but .. Blockbusters with no A-Listers ?? ... That's a trap right there because once something becomes a blockbuster, those actors are the most sought after

Anyways

- The Blair Witch Project - made for nothing, by nobodies and was enormous

I watched that and thought "I am bored, what was all the hype about?"