Suspiria - 1977 and 2017

Lucas

Suspiria is quite possibly my favorite horror film .. The colors, the soundtrack and the incoherence only add to the nightmarish experience ..

Dario Argento made a masterpiece of horror, and the Goblin soundtrack is nothing short of incredible ..

The film is being remade, and from what I understand, just wrapped up filming

Obviously, I have interest and mixed emotions .... But in general, I am not one to lambaste a remake until I see it ... The fact that filmmakers are relying more and more on remakes is tiresome, but director Luca Guadagnino isn't your typical Hollywood hack - he made quite a good film in "I Am Love" and when I heard that Tilda Swinton was playing the role of Madame Blanc is peaked my interest even more ..

While I think that Suspiria 2017 has some major shoes to fill, and, at best, might be a decent movie, I'll say that there have been some excellent remakes ( Scarface, The Thing ) and I am looking forward to it ..

The original stands on its own, and even if the 2017 version is awful, there should be no tarnish taken off ..

Any fans of the original Suspiria, or Dario Argento ??

Any thoughts on the remake ??

http://cdn-uploads.gameblog.fr/images/blogs/11610/60722.jpg

• Like 2

I'm of a different opinion - I hate to hear that this is being remade... But ever since Evil Dead and Poltergeist got shitty remakes I've officially declared that no Horror remake can surprise me anymore.

yep, I understand Mr Not ... Rumors about a remake have been circulating for years, and there was actually another attempt with a different cast, writers and director that was scrapped in 2008 ( Natalie Portman was set for the lead ) .. Another attempt was made in 2011 ....

It does bother me that original ideas have taken a backseat to remaking classics ... But after Argento's own disaster The Mother of Tears disgraced the Suspiria legacy , I'm OK with the original being remade

I love Suspiria and old Argento's movies but his works in the last 30 years are embarassing!

Phenomena was his last good work.

• Like 1

I love Suspiria and old Argento's movies but his works in the last 30 years are embarassing!

Geezer, I hear ya

I think Phenomena might be his last great work ... I do like Opera and Trauma a lot too, which came after

Stendhal Syndrome was ok, and had a few great Argento moments

I don't think I've ever been as disappointed with a film as I was with The Mother Of Tears

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 1

Lucas, isn't the real reason you like this film because you actually starred in it as a ten year old prodigy actor? But after delivering a virtuoso performance your part was cut-out and the footage destroyed after your Hollywood nemeses Robert Redford, Steve McQueen and Marlon Brando made up a story about you having a criminal sex record as revenge after you branded them hopeless hacks in a lost TV interview? :smoke:
  • Like 1

Lucas, isn't the real reason you like this film because you actually starred in it as a ten year old prodigy actor? But after delivering a virtuoso performance your part was cut-out and the footage destroyed after your Hollywood nemeses Robert Redford, Steve McQueen and Marlon Brando made up a story about you having a criminal sex record as revenge after you branded them hopeless hacks in a lost TV interview? :smoke:

Your ability to dig up info impresses even me

:LOL:

• Like 1

Your ability to dig up info impresses even me

:LOL:

Aye! :16ton:

• Like 1

Geezer, I hear ya

I think Phenomena might be his last great work ... I do like Opera and Trauma a lot too, which came after

Stendhal Syndrome was ok, and had a few great Argento moments

I don't think I've ever been as disappointed with a film as I was with The Mother Of Tears

Donald Pleasance! OF COURSE!

• Like 1