TRF Remodeling and Repair Requests

afansince74

Tick started a very cool thread earlier today about flooring. And it was so weird, because I was just thinking about this very idea last night and today... about making a thread encompassing any and all home repair, remodeling, new construction, literally anything in residential construction and remodeling. Even tool questions... whatever?

I didn't think I should post that in Ticks thread though. And although I've done several types of flooring before, I respect those who specialize in one discipline, so please refer flooring questions, if any, to the experts here on TRF, Tick and Ladirushfan80, obviously! smile.gif

I'm not sure if anyone else here is, but I'm a general contractor in a small, rural town. Unlike most contractors, however, I (and my business partner, only) pretty much do all the work, from the foundation to the roof and everything in between ourselves. THAT'S why it's so hard for me to spend any time here! sad.gif Seriously!!! I have NO TIME for anything, yet I still read the board in the mornings and again at night, like now. If I had a "real" job (9 to 5, I mean!), I'd have been fired a long time ago for being HOURS late some mornings.... because I'm reading B.S. here that I can't seem to walk away from! Is that irresponsible of me or what!

It really does take all my time though! I do every bit of the designing, estimating, bookeeping, etc., and then have to go build it all too! wacko.gif We subcontract some stuff, but as little as possible! That's our quality control. We touch every single nail, peice of wood, whatever, and we work by ourselves (can't trust anybody we hire, so we don't!). It's slower this way, yes, but at least we know it's done right, AND WE gaurenteed that!

Anyway, I don't want to presume too much here, but I've always liked everyones willingness to help around here, and even though I don't post much (compared to a lot of you, anyway!), I would like to contribute to this forum in more than just a few posts here and there. That being said, I'll try my best to answer anything a quickly as I can.

Also, anybody that does anything in construction, or specializes in a particular trade, please feel free to answer any questions that you can answer. I surely don't know everything, so others can help here too, but I'll certainly do my best to keep up and find the answers you need.

Thanks for listening. cool.gif

Here you go.

We've ripped up the floor and stripped the walls in the toilet.

Yay!

Things are not made the same in the UK no.gif

THe walls are made of some cement board and this weirdlooking red/pink plaster? Anyhow, I think we can use filler in the cracks/holes right?

Also, the back bolts on the toilet are missing ohmy.gif

How do you put them in?

QUOTE (dweezil @ Feb 9 2006, 02:47 AM)
Here you go.

We've ripped up the floor and stripped the walls in the toilet.
Yay!
Things are not made the same in the UK no.gif
THe walls are made of some cement board and this weirdlooking red/pink plaster? Anyhow, I think we can use filler in the cracks/holes right?

Also, the back bolts on the toilet are missing ohmy.gif

How do you put them in?

Sonds like a great project Dweez! (and THE best return for the investment for a homeowner is always the bathroom, then the kitchen). Up front, I must admit I hadn't really considered about "things being different in the UK" unsure.gif but I'm sure I can still help, I might have to ask a lot more questions though. cool.gif Anyway, here we go.

Sounds like some sort of cement backer board on your walls (refered to, amoung others, as WonderBoard or HardiBackerBoard here in the states) which is usually used in wet locations where plaster or tile is used(and some other, 'non-related to you question' areas wink.gif ). Was there tile that you stripped, or, more importantly, what are you putting back over it? Is it just a "plaster finish" that you'll drees up, or does something go on top of this surface to finish it out? That MAY dertirmine what you want to use, and it's application. It sounds like a filler IS what you need, but hate to say that or recomend anything "blindly" Dweez! cool.gif

As far as the toilet goes, when you say back bolts, do you mean the ones on the floor that hold the toilet to the floor? If so, is there a "Closet Flange" (a ring that the toilet sets on on the floor) and does it have slots around it's perimiter? What material is your bathroom sub-floor (what's under whatever covers your floor)made of? Either way, it sholdn't be a big deal. I'll check in this evening Dweez for your answers, and thanks for asking. smile.gif

unsure.gif

Ok. The walls we stripped had wallpaper 062802puke_prv.gif on them. So we just bought this plaster sealer for the pink plaster and then we are going to paint over it and the cement board.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/palominodweezil/home/bathroom003copy.jpg

The floor is also ripped up. It had ancient cork tiles on it. Underneath is like hardwood floorboards and then you have a space under there to the ceiling of downstairs. The floor boards have huge gaps (well, not HUGE, like at the most 1/2 inch), so we are going to lay some chipboard or whatever they have here and then put adhesive and stick on lino tiles.

The toilet ---- http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/palominodweezil/scared.gif

I don't know what the hell a flange is, so here's a photo. THe arrow points to where the bolt is missing (both sides) and the circled part is where the front bolts are. (sorry for the quality--i didn't want to stick my head in there laugh.gif )

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/palominodweezil/home/bathroom001.jpg

PS. The kitchen is next biggrin.gif

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif First off... you're awesome! Thanks sooo much taking time to take pics! That REALLY helps! yes.gif

Let me start by saying that wherever you go to get your supplies, make sure to ask questions and get their recommendations too, as they know local building codes and are familiar with the actual products they sell, and their specific characteristics. That being said...

The walls look as I imagined they might. I think you're on the right track. I'm sure you'll have no trouble finding products to apply as fillers/crack repairs. I do not see any evidence of seems or large cracks (but if so, let me know), so a filler product will suffice. Some of these are pre-mixed and some are mixed with water. Some of the 'mix' type may be "helped" by adding a Latex Fortifier to the mix, usually instead of part of the water, to give it a little extra "stickyness," and it's also can be used in a brush on application to "pre-treat" the walls prior to the filler application. You might want to check on that to help with achieving really good adhesion. But you might find a pre-mixed with all that already there, and if it's not a really large area, that might be what I looked for initially.

Footnote (that is probably not needed!): The amount of 'texture' on the finished wall (whatever that may be, like a troweld plaster or sprayed-on, if any at all!) will determine how good you'll have to finish (smooth out) your patches. Of course, a heavy texture hides A LOT, and a smooth wall is VERY hard to get perfect. But, as I said, this is really just logical and probably not necessary to mention, but oh well, too late! smile.gif

On to the bathroom floor...

user posted image

What you're gonna want looks just like this. They're called Closet Bolts and you need these special "threaded" ones. By threaded, I'm refering to the screw threads on the one end. Most closet bolts have a flanged head for attachment to the Closet Flange (as seen in the pic. below, labeled ("floor bolt") and are the more common type, but that's NOT what you want!. But more on that below.

Your subfloor looks like a lap-joint type (verses a tounge-in-groove, which usually has a much smaller visible 'gap' at the seams). Either way, because the Subfloor is wood, and your underlayment (the "chipboard or whatever" you eluded to wink.gif ) will be at least some type of wood product, then screwing these type bolts into the wood will provide the anchor points of your toilet. More than likely, that's something similar to what was there originally. Which brings me to ne next question, why did they "pull out" in the first place. Is there weak or rotted wood there? confused13.gif You'll know as soon as you pull the toilet! So you might need to repair a bit so that the screws have something to hold onto, but that's for negative thinkers! You won't have that! smile.gif (If you do, let me know!)

Anyway, I always recommend replacing all the Closet Bolts any time you pull a toilet (at less than $1US per set, why not?) and in your case you'll have to remove all of the anyway when you install the underlayment, so get enough to replace them all.

And, BTW, a Closet Flange (marked "toilet flange" in the pic below) is the transition piece between the horn of the toilet (a raised ceramic ring under the toilet, partially visible here), and the 3" or 4" pipe it all drains into, and looks something like what is pictured. Note the bolts in the picture are attached to the flange itself. As I mentioned previously, this is not your configuration. Your floor should look a lot like this when you're finished, but with your closet bolts screwed into the floor at 4 points around the flange itself.

http://www.blackanddecker.com/SiteImages/53/865737290001007003001001002A.jpg

Well, hope this helps. Please keep me updated here ('cause I really am interested in stuff like this, and helping people) and I'll follow up on any questions about this, or anything else you want to know, including the kitchen! smile.gif

Hope I wasn't too detailed! schla03.gif laugh.gif

Holy f**k! ohmy.gif

Now I have to pull up the toilet? ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

laugh.gif

Thank you very much. And do not apologize for being too detailed. It's not like I do this everyday, so all the help I can get is vastly appreciated. trink39.gif

I'll let you know what's happening as we progress.

Thanks again man trink39.gif

QUOTE (dweezil @ Feb 10 2006, 05:34 PM)
Holy f**k! ohmy.gif
Now I have to pull up the toilet? ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

laugh.gif
Thank you very much. And do not apologize for being too detailed. It's not like I do this everyday, so all the help I can get is vastly appreciated. trink39.gif

I'll let you know what's happening as we progress.
Thanks again man trink39.gif

Afraid so! sad.gif To do it right, anyway. wink.gif laugh.gif

I've been accused of too much detail in the past, but that's just me. I figure, if you want to know something, you'd want to know as much about it as you can, at least I do anyway.

You let me know if you come across any problems I might be able to help with along the way. yes.gif

And Good Luck with all! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (Drumnut @ Feb 10 2006, 06:25 PM)
applaudit.gif  The TRF terlit talk thread! Git-er-dunn!!! tongue.gif

You know the old saying...

"Nobody likes a 'redneck' til their car breaks down!"

(or they have a water leak in the tub, or an electrical outlet doesn't work, or the roof leaks, or... ) wink.gif

Sooner or later, you'll call me! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

See ya then!

QUOTE (afansince74 @ Feb 11 2006, 06:47 AM)

(or they have a water leak in the tub, or an electrical outlet doesn't work, or the roof leaks, or... ) wink.gif

See ya then!

Don't get me wrong here, I'm with ya on this. I have a roll around tool chest full of Snap-On tools covered by an old sheet so my neighbors can't see when I have the garage door open! laugh.gif I quit working on cars professionally years ago and only do so to fix my own stuff and when I want to make a few quick bucks. I would rather spend the time working on my house! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (Drumnut @ Feb 11 2006, 08:49 PM)

See ya then!

Don't get me wrong here, I'm with ya on this. I have a roll around tool chest full of Snap-On tools covered by an old sheet so my neighbors can't see when I have the garage door open! laugh.gif I quit working on cars professionally years ago and only do so to fix my own stuff and when I want to make a few quick bucks. I would rather spend the time working on my house! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Oh, I know that's sooo true! My biggest problem is I chime in and say how easy that is to fix and next thing I know I'm rewiring something in the middle of a diner party or something! wacko.gif I'm my biggest headache! laugh.gif

QUOTE (afansince74 @ Feb 11 2006, 09:03 PM)
QUOTE (Drumnut @ Feb 11 2006, 08:49 PM)

See ya then!

Oh, I know that's sooo true! My biggest problem is I chime in and say how easy that is to fix and next thing I know I'm rewiring something in the middle of a diner party or something! wacko.gif I'm my biggest headache! laugh.gif

Story of my life! laugh.gif I've learned to play dumb when it comes to knowing HOW to do stuff like this but knowing who and or where they can take it to pay someone else to do it always comes in handy! tongue.gif I always make sure when I send somebody to someone I know to drop my name so If I need something, I can go in and remind them that I referred someone to them. wink.gif

Archived