Steven Wilson Band - Guthrie Govan vs Dave Kilminster? Who is your boy? Who outperforms the other?

treeduck

With Steven Wilson, Guthrie or Kilminster? Who is your choice, who owns who?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. With Steven Wilson, Guthrie or Kilminster? Who is your choice, who owns who? Who DOMINATES the other?

• Guthrie is just that bit better than Dave K, there's no doubt.
    • Kilminster shocks the rock world and Guthrie, he's even better! Just!

I did this thread because I just read a quote from the Guthmeister and it made me laugh. What made me laugh more was starting just the kind of thread that would make Guthrie go :facepalm:

This is the quote:

Filling in for Guthrie Govan would be daunting for many guitarists. Is there any situation that would intimidate you?

No, because music isn’t a contest. I know there was a grandstanding, showboating aspect to ’80s rock. The guitar player was very much the gunslinger, and you had to have a bigger weapon than the other players, and all that kind of nonsense. That’s never really been a prime motivation for me. If somebody trusts me enough to invite me to play guitar on their project, I’d go in and do my best, and not worry about counterproductive stuff.

• Like 3

Here's another quote just for additional information:

You’re doing the European leg of the Steven Wilson tour, and then taking off to do an Aristocrats tour this summer. Who will fill in for the Wilson gig?

We’ve got David Kilminster coming in. He’s done the Roger Waters show for the last eight years. This was partly my suggestion. He’s been a friend of mine for more than 20 years, and we’ve played together in all sorts of situations. I’m completely relaxed about handing the gig over to someone that both Steven and I can trust.

• Like 1

Kiliminster is a world class guitarist as is Guthrie.

Having seen him live on this tour, all I can say is that fans won't detect any drop in quality when it comes to guitar.

The fact that Waters has stuck with him for so long, speaks volumes for his ability.

• Like 2

I like this quote too:

How did Steven present the music to you?

Steven gives us demos of such quality that normal people would just release them as a finished album.

lol awesome quote

• Like 1

Kiliminster is a world class guitarist as is Guthrie.

Having seen him live on this tour, all I can say is that fans won't detect any drop in quality when it comes to guitar.

There's a few things that Guthrie does better, but that's a discussion quickly sinking deep into the minutiae of guitar playing.

Edited by stoopid

I have seen both of them on the HCE tour and , to be honest, Dave Kilminster impressed me more than Guthrie. Guthrie's showy solos might have the edge (just) but overall I feel that Dave was more versatile and a better fit with the band.
  • Like 1

I have seen both of them on the HCE tour and , to be honest, Dave Kilminster impressed me more than Guthrie. Guthrie's showy solos might have the edge (just) but overall I feel that Dave was more versatile and a better fit with the band.

Pip you've posted in my thread, that's good! :notworthy:

Pip you've posted in my thread, that's good! :notworthy:

You're welcome Ducky.
  • Like 1

I refuse to vote; I love Guthrie - and some of his solos are just fantastic (the first one in Ancestral or the end of Drive Home for example!) I think technically, he is untouchable.

However, Dave is excellent and plays with great feel and as Pip stated, he may be a better fit for Steven's band (though I miss some of Guthrie's solos!)

It will be interesting where Steven takes the band next - possibly a very different direction where guitar is not so much a focus?

Either way, I will still have The Aristocrats to get my Marco/Guthrie insanity on! :D

• Like 3