What tuning does Nightwish use?

Freedom_Fighter

hey guys. i wanna learn some Nightwish songs, but i decided instead of looking them up i'm gonna challenge myself to tab out the songs myself by ear. but i need to kno what tuning they use.

i've been playing long enough that i can usually tell what tuning a song is in, but i guess just with the power metal tone is a little harder to tell. i'm pretty sure i know it though. i really thought about it and figured out that i think the lowest chord i heard was E5 so i think they just use standard. but i'm asking you guys cuz i wanna be SURE i have the right tuning before i start trying to tab out a song.

well it depends on the song, Slaying the dreamer goes from standard tunign to drop D tuning twords the middle where Marco starts singing, about 1/3 of the songs on Once are in Drop D, with other guitar overdubs with a standard tuning, just pm me if you need to know what tuning they are in.

well it is in Drop D, but Emppu is really his own player, and mixes Drop D with standard tunign in his music like the solo i Romanticide, its all in the remaning 5 strings of standard tune, for example the song Wish I Had An Angel is in Drop D also, but...but there are a few sections of the song that are bar chords again on the remaning 5 stings in standard tune, but Romanticide is in Drop D, i dont think he pulls any tricks on this song except for the solo.

defrushfan: ok you're saying he puts it in drop d but then sometimes does chords on the remaining five strings that's in standard? ok well then it really doesn't make a different, it'd be in drop d, cuz drop d is just the first string tuned down one step so yea the other five strings would still be in standard, so i mean it can all be played on one guitar in drop d can't it? it's not like he'd hafta use a completely standard tuned guitar to play those other parts, right?

QUOTE (Freedom_Fighter @ Aug 30 2005, 07:03 PM)
defrushfan: ok you're saying he puts it in drop d but then sometimes does chords on the remaining five strings that's in standard? ok well then it really doesn't make a different, it'd be in drop d, cuz drop d is just the first string tuned down one step so yea the other five strings would still be in standard, so i mean it can all be played on one guitar in drop d can't it? it's not like he'd hafta use a completely standard tuned guitar to play those other parts, right?

heres and example for you, this is what i mean, its all played on one guitar with the low E string tuned down a step,

e:-----------------------------------------------------------------------------|

B:-----------------------------------------------------------------------------|

G:--5---5---5--7-7-7------5----------------------------------------------------|

D:--5---5---5--7-7-7---3--5----------------------------------------------------|

A:--3-333-333--5-5-5---3--3----------------------------------------------------|

D:---------------------3-------------------------------------------------------|

.. ..

1.10 Chorus

e:-----------------------------------------------------------------------------|

B:-----------------------------------------------------------------------------|

G:---3-------2--------------7-----5/7\5-------------7-----5/7-----5------------|

D:---3---5---2--------------7---3-5/7\5-------------7---3-5/7\3---5------------|

A:---1---5---0----3p0--3p0--5---3-3/5\3---3p0--3p0--5---3-3/5\3---3333...------|

D:-------5--------3p0--3p0------3---------3p0--3p0------3-----3----------------|

QUOTE (Freedom_Fighter @ Aug 30 2005, 09:43 PM)
ok yea i see what you mean. so he uses drop D but he sometimes ignores the low E string and plays on the higher ones as if it were just in Standard, but it's all on one Drop D guitar. gotcha.

I had some trouble with looking at the tabs for their music when i first started playing their albums, Empuu is a very different player, very creative in his own sense, and one of the best im my book from that catagory of Metal music

d--------------------0-0-0-0-6-0-

a------3-2----------0-0-0-0-6-0-

d-0-2------0-5-6---0-0-0-0-6-0-

does that look right for the intro? of course the first part where he plays 6 on the low d-string is a pinch harmonic.

and i think it may be 4-6 instead of 5 six but i'm not sure, i'm still experimenting with it.

QUOTE (Freedom_Fighter @ Sep 18 2005, 06:42 PM)
d--------------------0-0-0-0-6-0-
a------3-2----------0-0-0-0-6-0-
d-0-2------0-5-6---0-0-0-0-6-0-

does that look right for the intro? of course the first part where he plays 6 on the low d-string is a pinch harmonic.

and i think it may be 4-6 instead of 5 six but i'm not sure, i'm still experimenting with it.

what song is that?

well i mean i was hoping someone who already knew how to play it, or could like get their guitar out, could try it out and tell me. cuz yea i came up with that based on SOUND, i didn't just write up that tab i played it on my guitar but i couldn't tell for sure if some parts where right or not.

i mean i'm 100% sure on the power chord part but it's hard to tell for the rest of it which is why i wanted someone else to try it and see if they thought it sounded right.