Not one, but *TWO*, NFL players lose digits to fireworks last weekend

First.... I can't help it. My response is " 'Meriuch!" I know, I know. Crass, but really. You are an NFL athlete making significant coin and you are buying cheap, import, roadside fireworks? Why are you not sitting on the balcony of some lovely resort hotel with a first class seat to a first class fireworks show?

Second.... how will the NFL respond? Most professional contracts already have a variety of riders related to dangerous behavior, so it will be interesting to see how this plays out in the context of their specific contracts.

But does anyone know if the current contracts specifically spell out anything regarding fireworks? If not, will the teams push for new language in them? How will the NFLPA respond?

Surely lawyers will get involved, yes?

Edited by WorkingAllTheTime
  • Like 1

Just a general comment here. There is a huge difference between accidents and stupidity. These seem to fall in the category of the latter. Unreal how stupid folks can be... :facepalm:
  • Like 2

What does meriuch mean OP?

'mericuh or sometimes seen on the internet as 'merica is a reference to some of the idiotic behavior often seen as a symbol of our "freeedom", but really tends to suggest a lack of intellectual ability, let alone common sense.

Example: A drunk man jumping into a Texas bayou despite warnings (both written and verbal) of an alligator in the water. His last words being "f*** the alligator" before jumping in and nearly immediately being barrel rolled and killed by said alligator. But, you know, damn it.... this is 'mericuh and he is allowed to swim whenever he damn well pleases! I guess I am supposed to feel sorry for that guy, but really, it's hard to. I do, though, feel for the people who had to hear his screams and the sound of his being barrel rolled, as well as seeing his body, without the left arm below the elbow, floating in the bayou.

Another Example: The sadly somewhat common practice of, usually after a day of extensive drinking, detonating cheaply made, imported fireworks in the dark, often with children present, all in the name of 'mericuh's birthday.

I know there are probably plenty here who will be offended by my notion and will suggest I am being elitist, but really, in my mind, it's about common sense. There's a reason so many communities have outlawed the sale and use of roadside stand fireworks. They just are not fundamentally safe and are even less safe when mixed with alcohol consumption, yet people continue to do it.... and fingers and eyes and lives are lost year after year. Along with the two NFLers who lost fingers, Texas has reports of two different men who were killed using street fireworks over the weekend. One launched one from his head. The other launched one from his chest. Again, I guess I should feel sorry for those men, but it's hard to. I do feel sorry for their families and those who had to witness death by stupidity.

Just a general comment here. There is a huge difference between accidents and stupidity. These seem to fall in the category of the latter. Unreal how stupid folks can be... :facepalm:

I sometimes wonder if it is the norm and common sense, despite the use of the term "common", is abnormal.

• Like 1

What does meriuch mean OP?

'mericuh or sometimes seen on the internet as 'merica is a reference to some of the idiotic behavior often seen as a symbol of our "freeedom", but really tends to suggest a lack of intellectual ability, let alone common sense.

Example: A drunk man jumping into a Texas bayou despite warnings (both written and verbal) of an alligator in the water. His last words being "f*** the alligator" before jumping in and nearly immediately being barrel rolled and killed by said alligator. But, you know, damn it.... this is 'mericuh and he is allowed to swim whenever he damn well pleases! I guess I am supposed to feel sorry for that guy, but really, it's hard to. I do, though, feel for the people who had to hear his screams and the sound of his being barrel rolled, as well as seeing his body, without the left arm below the elbow, floating in the bayou.

Another Example: The sadly somewhat common practice of, usually after a day of extensive drinking, detonating cheaply made, imported fireworks in the dark, often with children present, all in the name of 'mericuh's birthday.

I know there are probably plenty here who will be offended by my notion and will suggest I am being elitist, but really, in my mind, it's about common sense. There's a reason so many communities have outlawed the sale and use of roadside stand fireworks. They just are not fundamentally safe and are even less safe when mixed with alcohol consumption, yet people continue to do it.... and fingers and eyes and lives are lost year after year. Along with the two NFLers who lost fingers, Texas has reports of two different men who were killed using street fireworks over the weekend. One launched one from his head. The other launched one from his chest. Again, I guess I should feel sorry for those men, but it's hard to. I do feel sorry for their families and those who had to witness death by stupidity.

I was about to ask the same thing. Thanks for posting. :)

I heard Jay Cutler set off an M80 from his head. No worries Bear fan I hear he did no damage to his head.

But does anyone know if the current contracts specifically spell out anything regarding fireworks? If not, will the teams push for new language in them? How will the NFLPA respond?

Do you really expect a pro sports league to write up provisions for every stupid thing that players might do? There is zero reason for the league or the players' union to even comment on the matter.

The Brewers' Jonathan Lucroy broke his hand when a suitcase fell on it in his hotel room. Should MLB do something about that? I think not.

• Like 1

Do you really expect a pro sports league to write up provisions for every stupid thing that players might do? There is zero reason for the league or the players' union to even comment on the matter.

The Brewers' Jonathan Lucroy broke his hand when a suitcase fell on it in his hotel room. Should MLB do something about that? I think not.

Actually, yes, I do think the lawyers will eventually include language for every potentially stupid thing a player has *done*.

I used to run a large high school, our district code of conduct included provisions regarding bringing, among other things, a battle axe, a crossbow, a mace (the weapon, not the chemical), and a few other things. The reason those things were included in the code? Students actually brought those things in the past and their parents argued there should be no punishment as those items were not explicitly spelled out in the code. Common sense be damned, the lawyers got involved. And schools aren't even big money businesses. Pro sports teams are. So, yeah, I do think the context of fireworks will be spelled out in contracts. There's way too much money at stake for it not to happen.

An old friend is a former professional baseball player. His contract specifically forbade riding motorcycles, riding carnival rides (including amusement park rides - meaning he could not go on Magic Mountain at Disney with his kids without risking his guaranteed money), surfing, and a variety of other things. I don't remember it including local fireworks were part of the contract, but I imagine they might be standard very soon.

By the way, the Lucroy example is pathetic. First of all, it does not relate (unless you are suggesting the common handling of luggage is somehow on par with the handling of cheap, foreign made fireworks). Second, Lucroy is a whiny little b**** and it is not at all surprising that he is such a spoiled priss he can't manage to carry his own luggage. Third, the Milwaukee Brewers hardly qualify as a professional sports team.

(Okay. Okay. I might be getting a little touchy there with Lucroy. I might be letting a little regional rivalry get in the way of a discussion..... ) :facepalm:

A few of us were talking about this at work last night,

Its amazing how some of these guys are really that stupid. :facepalm:

There was a kid over here last year who lit a firework in house and then panicked but instead of throwing it out the window or in the shower or something he just kept hold of it and let it blow up in his hand... :facepalm:

• Like 1

There was a kid over here last year who lit a firework in house and then panicked but instead of throwing it out the window or in the shower or something he just kept hold of it and let it blow up in his hand... :facepalm:

Sh** for brains!

Sh** for brains!

Aye!

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/527225/Fireworks-fingertips-blown-off-bedroom

• Like 1

Sh** for brains!

Aye!

http://www.express.c...own-off-bedroom

I remember it now,

Back in the 70's my sister found an M80 next to our driveway. The fuse was really short. I told her no way I was going to light it off. She did but put it on the ground and lit it. It rocked the whole block. :LOL: Of course we ran inside the house and no one ever found out. :P

Sh** for brains!

Aye!

http://www.express.c...own-off-bedroom

I remember it now,

Back in the 70's my sister found an M80 next to our driveway. The fuse was really short. I told her no way I was going to light it off. She did but put it on the ground and lit it. It rocked the whole block. :LOL: Of course we ran inside the house and no one ever found out. :P

Yeah I did a thread about it, with a title like Stupid Idiot blows his fingers off with a firework! :LOL:

I never did any stupid stuff with fireworks, I've just never been that fascinated with them. :huh: I mean I would watch a display maybe but I can take it or leave it. :smoke: