Serious question for after the filming in TO

Del_Duio

I don't believe Rush will do anything other than get the vocals to sound the best they can with what was recorded on those nights. Mostly because they haven't done anything with the 5 previous concert releases, as far as I know and can tell. To quote roadwar: "Leave it the way it is for me."

I'm sorry to burst your bubble but I'm afraid that simply isn't true.

Compare 1:25 on this vid

to 4:20 on this vid https://www.youtube....h?v=emoWMrYp_ps

Fixing happens all the time on live releases, particularly with the vocals. The only recent one that didn't have that treatment was Clockwork Angels Tour and as a result it has some (imo) sup-par moments that should have been fixed in post-production. We'd have (for the most part) been none the wiser and it would have made it a more listenable and polished album.

Edited by Drummerrobin

if you're wondering if they've ever touched up things, they have. REALLY obvious autotune on the entire replay box set, and especially obvious on Spirit of Radio's Chorus in ASOH.

Funny, because the vocals for the Grace concert video were almost perfect, but then the DVD re-release seems like they left in the original performance, warts and all. I kinda wanted the pristine version.

Also, from 5.1 to Stereo Sound (The Trees solo?) in Rio, Alex fixed the first couple notes. And didn't they fix/tweak a lot of Ged's vocals on Time Machine?

His voice sounds fine during this tour. I have no complaints. Geddy has fournd the way to tour at his age and keep his voice in check. He is the true professional!

His vocals in that second Toronto show were out of this world (though I also found it appropriate/poignant that his last big note in "Losing It" was a bit of a mess). To be honest, I'm noticing a lot of fans of different bands remarking about the improved vocals of their aged lead singer. I have to think it's new and stronger (doctor prescribed) steroids. If we have the technology (HGH/TRT, etc.) why not use it?

Edited by Liquidmuse
  • Like 1

Wow, I'm a singer myself, and there's barely any difference between those two "high note performances" in Freewill. The DVD version may be a bit more polished, but you can always throw reverb in there. I'm not saying they didn't maybe pitch-correct it a little, but I'm sure there are better examples of "Geddy replacement" (like I mentioned earlier, the pretty big difference in the original GUP concert video and the DVD for Ged). I'd heard Cleveland was a train wreck that nite for Geddy, and I always suspected they replaced those Freewill high notes like you said, but that's the same vocal line reading. Funny enough, I re-watched the whole thing on Blu-Ray, and Geddy's vocals annoyed me a whole lot less than on the regular DVD. Wonder if they just tweaked the Blu-ray.

All that said, yeah, it kinda annoys me actually that fans through the years didn't understand how much touching up their favorite bands went through on concert releases. Like hair transplants and hairpieces, it engenders a false sense of reality for the public and of people's own personal expectation ;-) (in Rush's case, like when I saw a poster of Al from 1984 with the classic doll-cornrow hair transplant peaking out of the Flock of Seagals wave, I was stunned! ;-) (this was 1995 or so) And I think it's a bit weird Alex was sporting the proud bald spot not even 3 years ago or so on many filmed performances, but now is wig man. I guess people just don't notice details (but isn't that what we do as Rush fans? ;-))

Edited by Liquidmuse
  • Like 2

Judging by the boots Xanadu will need some touch ups, the guitar lead on both nights was rough..

It would be easy for them to record another audio track from a different show and replace certain parts of songs if they needed to.

His vocals in that second Toronto show were out of this world (though I also found it appropriate/poignant that his last big note in "Losing It" was a bit of a mess).

I'm one of Rush's harshest critics here and I didn't think Geddy messed up the vocals on Losing It at all. He does the best he can at this point, and I've heard a lot worse last tour than the last note in Losing It Friday night.

• Like 1

I don't believe Rush will do anything other than get the vocals to sound the best they can with what was recorded on those nights. Mostly because they haven't done anything with the 5 previous concert releases, as far as I know and can tell. To quote roadwar: "Leave it the way it is for me."

I'm sorry to burst your bubble but I'm afraid that simply isn't true.

Compare 1:25 on this vid

to 4:20 on this vid https://www.youtube....h?v=emoWMrYp_ps

Fixing happens all the time on live releases, particularly with the vocals. The only recent one that didn't have that treatment was Clockwork Angels Tour and as a result it has some (imo) sup-par moments that should have been fixed in post-production. We'd have (for the most part) been none the wiser and it would have made it a more listenable and polished album.

A better example from Cleveland is Presto. Trainwreck during the solo aside, Geddy was not on vocally either. Compare "What a fool I was for you," starting around 1:45 in both videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tcsb8SClvgI
  • Like 1