Austin vs Dallas Shows

Howdy Everyone -

I have been off the forum a while. Took some time off for a personal recharge and then made both the Austin and Dallas shows.

I was in the 200 section for Austin and on the floor (very close to the stage, nearly dead center - I splurged for this one) in Dallas.

A few thoughts:

* SET ROTATION - Austin had the "The Wreckers", "How It Is", "Between the Wheels", "The Camera Eye", and "Jacob's Ladder" only (no "Natural Science"). Dallas had the "Clockwork Angels", "One Little Victory", "Distant Early Warning", "YYZ", and "Natural Science" with "Jacob's Ladder" rotation. I give Austin the nod here. I much preferred "The Wreckers" over "Clockwork Angels" and definitely loved hearing "How It Is" (some hate the song, I think it's very poignant to anyone who has worked to overcome depression after a tragedy - Neil bowed his head at the end of that song in a way that made me wonder if it was more than just about the physical energy he exerted for that song). I also loved "The Camera Eye" over "YYZ" (I have just heard "YYZ" live more than enough to be happy). "Distant Early Warning" was better than "Between the Wheels" and "Natural Science" was epic, but I was very giddy to hear "Jacob's Ladder".. twice.

* PERFORMANCE - Austin had a number of technical glitches (they seemed to be a problem with the venue) and I thought the sound was generally better in Dallas (but I was on the floor and in an indoor venue there, whereas there were some wind issues in Austin). Geddy's voice was slightly stronger, I think in Austin, but I have to admit that I was impressed with some of the notes he hit in both shows. He wailed on Anthem both nights... so well that I had to wonder if there was some electronic aid. I don't think there was, but he hit it well enough to make me wonder. Also, "Closer to the Heart" in Austin had some major issues in the first 30 seconds. The nod goes to Dallas here.

* VENUE - How can I put this politely? I can't. The Austin venue (Austin 360) sucks. Even with parking and Austin traffic, Frank Erwin is the better place. The A360 stage seemed cramped for the band's rigging and the sight lines are only average for a newer facility. I am fortunate that I paid for premium parking because the regular parking lot is at least a half mile away. The gates are a good quarter mile from the actual facility and a good portion of it was covered in astroturf because the space was as muddy as Woodstock. The concessions are woefully lacking (a pop up Pizza Hut, about 5 food trucks - how *Austin*..., and a few beverage stands) for a venue with ~10,000 concert goers. The restroom situation is ridiculous. The lower bowl has 2 restroom areas, each with about 5 stalls per gender. That's about 20 stalls total. Are you kidding me?! They had a good number of portables, but this venue is very new and that's what they built?! The outdoor location was nice only because the week of rainy weather thankfully gave way to one gloriously clear and cool (albeit windy) evening. But the outdoor location did not allow for the full use of the lasers in the show. Also, calling it "Austin" 360 is a joke. The venue is in Del Valle, which might as well be in College Station it is so hard to get to. Obviously, the nod here goes to Dallas.

* CROWD - Hands down Austin. It was much more lively than Dallas. The Dallas crowd was pretty good, but Austin was just that much better.

* HONORABLE MENTIONS - The laser and lighting effects in the indoor venue in Dallas were noticeably better. Geddy's faux pas of saying they were in Houston was hilariously joyful for those of us who aren't from Dallas or Houston.

The overall nod goes to Dallas.

Edited by WorkingAllTheTime
  • Like 2

THanks for the review! I checked the amphitheater on Google Earth earlier tonight... I was wondering where it was... (Saw a video of the sound check there last night) I had no idea it was in the middle of the F1 track!!! :o
  • Like 1

THanks for the review! I checked the amphitheater on Google Earth earlier tonight... I was wondering where it was... (Saw a video of the sound check there last night) I had no idea it was in the middle of the F1 track!!! :o

Exactly. It's as if the concert venue was an afterthought..... "How can we get this place to make some money when we aren't racing cars?..."

I wish I could get you to tge Houston show foe more comparison. Ill be there and an very interested in how it stands up. Either way its a Rush show and will kick ass.

I thought about doing Houston, as well.... but then I decided gainful employment was a good thing.

Good topic, as I live in Austin and just got back from seeing both shows myself. Overall, I enjoyed the show in Dallas WAY more. Better venue, better seat location and better setlist (IMO).

First, I could not agree more about the Austin venue. My first time there and I'll be in no hurry to go back. Awful in practically every respect. AAC, on the other hand, was a great concert venue with plenty of food options and hotels close enough nearby to allow walking (which I did). I also thought the band sounded slightly better at AAC, despite it being such a monstrous arena.

In Austin, I was 8th row on the floor on Alex's side. Close yes, but still had heads blocking my view (which is why I have never cared for floor seating). In Dallas, I was in the first row UP from the floor on Geddy's side (VIP silver ticket). Wow! Could not have been a more perfect spot. Practically eye level with the band and with an unobstructed line of sight. I did not regret the bucks shelled out for VIP in the least.

I tried to avoid setlist spoilers, but had still seen a few in the main forum. I knew little enough that most of the show was still a surprise. I thought the opening of the show was way more effective in Dallas, with the curtain being the screen for the video and initially hiding the stage. I assume there was no curtain in Austin due to wind. Too bad, because the kick of "The Anarchist" as the opener was lost when you saw them just walk on stage. So much cooler to see a curtain reveal after they start playing. Point for Dallas.

I'm not a big fan of "The Wreckers" in general, and as the second track, it really didn't work. Too mellow for so early in the show. "Clockwork Angels", though long, is just a way better song IMO and also better engages the audience. Point for Dallas.

I can appreciate Neil's sentiment behind "How It Is", but it's a total dud live. "One Little Victory" kills it and keeps the set energy going. Point for Dallas.

"Between The Wheels" > "Distant Early Warning", but it was still good to hear DEW for the first time in a while. Point for Austin.

"The Camera Eye" was the biggest shocker for me in the Austin setlist. I never thought they'd bring that one back after Time Machine and it was great to hear it. But TCE is a bit long and seemed to lose some of the crowd's energy after opening set 2 with TS. "YYZ" got a huge response as always and seeing it with lasers is always awesome. I call that one a draw and am glad I got to see both.

When they played "Jacob's Ladder" in Dallas, I was confused because they'd just played "Natural Science". I had assumed those two were alternating and would've given Austin the edge if that were the case, but getting both in Dallas (which I now know is the "C" show) made it a no-brainer as to which show was better. It made that already awesome second set just over-the-top incredible.

And I thought Alex had a better night in Dallas. He made a few goofs in Austin, looked generally unhappy and rarely acknowledged the audience (unusual for him). I'm guessing some of the frustration though was due to problems that sometimes come with an outdoor show (and also maybe because he was sweating his balls off).

Anyway, just my observations. Wish I could make Houston too, but feel incredibly lucky to have seen this tour once, let alone twice! If this is it, they are really going out in style.

• Like 2

From what I heard, it sounded like Alex was doing a much better job in Dallas than he did in Austin.

* VENUE - How can I put this politely? I can't. The Austin venue (Austin 360) sucks. Even with parking and Austin traffic, Frank Erwin is the better place. The A360 stage seemed cramped for the band's rigging and the sight lines are only average for a newer facility. I am fortunate that I paid for premium parking because the regular parking lot is at least a half mile away. The gates are a good quarter mile from the actual facility and a good portion of it was covered in astroturf because the space was as muddy as Woodstock. The concessions are woefully lacking (a pop up Pizza Hut, about 5 food trucks - how *Austin*..., and a few beverage stands) for a venue with ~10,000 concert goers. The restroom situation is ridiculous. The lower bowl has 2 restroom areas, each with about 5 stalls per gender. That's about 20 stalls total. Are you kidding me?! They had a good number of portables, but this venue is very new and that's what they built?! The outdoor location was nice only because the week of rainy weather thankfully gave way to one gloriously clear and cool (albeit windy) evening. But the outdoor location did not allow for the full use of the lasers in the show. Also, calling it "Austin" 360 is a joke. The venue is in Del Valle, which might as well be in College Station it is so hard to get to. Obviously, the nod here goes to Dallas.

Could NOT agree with you more! I didn't see Dallas, but your complaints about the venue in Austin were spot on. My biggest gripe was that my seats were very far stage right (section 107), and the annoying left side panel that said "Austin 360" actually blocked a lot of my view. I could see the guys fine, but couldn't see the video screen behind the band. Even though I was in the 100's, it seemed pretty far away. I feel sorry for you if you were in the 200's, not too mention the poor folks on the lawn. I even (politely) complained to the staff before the show started to see if I could get a more "centered" seat. They were polite enough, but told me it wouldn't be possible since the show was a (near?)sell out.

To be fair, though, I've had similar complaints about other outdoor venues. I've been to the (what was then called) the Starplex in Dallas and had many of the same complaints. At least THAT venue was "covered" for the folks in the seats.

I won't be returning to the Austin 360 place again.

Clem.

Edited by clem