treeduck

Saints' burning questions: Patrick Robinson and Corey White

METAIRIE, La. -- The New Orleans Saints have several major roster decisions to make before the start of the new league year and free-agent signing period on March 10. For starters, they must trim somewhere between $20 and $30 million in salary-cap space (most of which will be accomplished by converting roster bonuses into signing bonuses).

Here’s the latest in a series of 10 of the most burning questions the Saints have to answer:

The question: Should the Saints keep cornerbacks Patrick Robinson and Corey White?

Robinson, 27, is an unrestricted free agent. White, 24, is due $1.574 million in the last year of his contract. Their careers with the Saints have both been roller-coaster rides -- especially last year, when they each took turns as a starter and each took turns being benched.

The Saints have shown faith in both players' potential over the years. And Robinson bounced back last season after struggling early. But Terrence Frederick supplanted both of them as New Orleans’ No. 2 starting cornerback by the end of the year, while Robinson was the nickelback and White was moved back to his college position of safety.

Have the Saints finally run out of patience?

The answer: I expect the Saints to move on from both players. They both have talent, and they’ve both shown glimpses of ability. But the inconsistency has been frustrating, and the Saints badly need to revamp their cornerback situation.

Although the Saints’ defense struggled across the board in 2014, I’d argue that the cornerback play behind No. 1 guy Keenan Lewis was their biggest problem. They had catastrophic breakdowns in the secondary in last-minute early-season losses to Atlanta, Cleveland and Detroit. And by the end of the year, quarterbacks like Joe Flacco, Matt Ryan and Andy Dalton were fearlessly attacking the Saints’ secondary, getting rid of the ball before the pass rush ever had a chance to get there.

That’s why I believe the Saints should invest in free agency in another reliable starting cornerback across from Lewis. I know it doesn’t always work when NFL teams throw money at free agents (especially considering the Saints’ cap constraints), but some real stability at the cornerback spot could have a ripple effect throughout the entire defense.

I wouldn’t be shocked to see the Saints bring back Robinson or White if they could come at a heavy discount, because they have seen potential in both players (particularly Robinson, the first-round pick whom they’ve given ample opportunities despite his battles with injury and inconsistency). Maybe the return of former secondary coach Dennis Allen could help revive them.

More likely, though, a change of scenery might be best for both the Saints and the players.

Saints' burning questions: Potential cap casualties

METAIRIE, La. -- The New Orleans Saints have several major roster decisions to make before the start of the new league year and free-agent signing period on March 10. For starters, they must trim somewhere between $20 and $30 million in salary-cap space (most of which will be accomplished by converting roster bonuses into signing bonuses).

Here’s the latest in a series of 10 of the most burning questions the Saints have to answer:

The question: Who are the potential salary-cap casualties?

The answer: I’ve already broken down a few guys who could be in line for pay cuts or possible releases: receiver Marques Colston (likely pay cut); guards Jahri Evans and Ben Grubbs (likely safe -- especially Evans), and cornerback Corey White (possible release).

Here are some others, with where they fall on that sliding scale:

DT Brodrick Bunkley (likely to be released): Bunkley is due $4.5 million in salary and bonuses. The Saints could save $2.9 million against the cap by cutting him -- or all $4.5 million if they designate him as a post-June 1 release and push some of the cap costs to 2016.

Last season, the Saints worked out a substantial pay cut with Bunkley to keep him in New Orleans, so that remains a possibility again. But I think it’s even more likely that they release the 31-year-old, who has been a solid run-stuffer in a part-time role -- but nowhere near as impactful as the Saints expected when they signed him to a five-year deal in 2012 worth between $22.5 and $25 million.

Bunkley’s season ended early last year with a quadriceps injury suffered in November.

LB David Hawthorne (likely to be released or accept pay cut): Hawthorne is due $4.5 million in salary and bonuses, including a $2.5 million roster bonus. The Saints could save $3 million against the cap by cutting him -- or all $4.5 million if they designate him as a post-June 1 release.

Hawthorne, 29, has been decent while playing about 70 percent of the Saints’ snaps over the past two seasons as a starting inside linebacker -- the highlight coming when he had three sacks against the Chicago Bears in Week 15 last season. But like Bunkley, he hasn’t lived up to the big contract he signed in 2012.

Whether they keep Hawthorne, the Saints need to find a younger athlete who can cover more ground in the open field and drop back in pass coverage.

LB Curtis Lofton (likely to stay at current price): Lofton, 28, is due $7 million in salary and bonuses, including a hefty $4.5 million roster bonus. That’s a lot, but Lofton was one of the few defensive players who actually lived up to his contract last season as both a thumper in the run game and a valued leader/captain/quarterback of the defense. He wasn’t perfect, with some limitations in pass coverage and missed tackles, but his 144 tackles ranked fourth in the NFL. It’s possible the Saints will approach Lofton about a pay cut. If not, they will certainly convert his roster bonus into a signing bonus to save $2.25 million against the cap.

RB Pierre Thomas (likely to stay at current price): Thomas, 30, is due $2.15 million in salary and bonuses, which is borderline for a part-time player. But he’s been one of the most valuable role players in the entire Sean Payton-Drew Brees era as a runner/receiver/pass protector, and he already took a small pay cut last year. Plus, the Saints will need Thomas even more if they don’t re-sign leading running back Mark Ingram, who is an unrestricted free agent.

S Rafael Bush (likely to stay at current price): Bush, 27, is due $1.95 million in the final year of his two-year contract. He’s likely to stay since the Saints valued him enough to sign him to the deal last offseason. But he fractured his lower leg late last season, which could give the Saints a little pause. Bush should at least get to show where he’s at in training camp.

TE Benjamin Watson (likely to stay at current price): Watson, 34, has been about what the Saints expected as a part-time pass catcher, above-average blocker, and locker-room leader since they signed him in 2012. But he’s worth mentioning on this list because he is due $1.5 million in salary and bonuses, all of which could be saved against the cap if he’s released.

The answer: I’ve already broken down a few guys who could be in line for pay cuts or possible releases: receiver Marques Colston (likely pay cut); guards Jahri Evans and Ben Grubbs (likely safe -- especially Evans), and cornerback Corey White (possible release).

DT Brodrick Bunkley (likely to be released): Bunkley is due $4.5 million in salary and bonuses. The Saints could save $2.9 million against the cap by cutting him -- or all $4.5 million if they designate him as a post-June 1 release and push some of the cap costs to 2016.

Last season, the Saints worked out a substantial pay cut with Bunkley to keep him in New Orleans, so that remains a possibility again. But I think it’s even more likely that they release the 31-year-old, who has been a solid run-stuffer in a part-time role -- but nowhere near as impactful as the Saints expected when they signed him to a five-year deal in 2012 worth between $22.5 and $25 million.

Bunkley’s season ended early last year with a quadriceps injury suffered in November.

LB David Hawthorne (likely to be released or accept pay cut): Hawthorne is due $4.5 million in salary and bonuses, including a $2.5 million roster bonus. The Saints could save $3 million against the cap by cutting him -- or all $4.5 million if they designate him as a post-June 1 release.

Hawthorne, 29, has been decent while playing about 70 percent of the Saints’ snaps over the past two seasons as a starting inside linebacker -- the highlight coming when he had three sacks against the Chicago Bears in Week 15 last season. But like Bunkley, he hasn’t lived up to the big contract he signed in 2012.

Whether they keep Hawthorne, the Saints need to find a younger athlete who can cover more ground in the open field and drop back in pass coverage.

LB Curtis Lofton (likely to stay at current price): Lofton, 28, is due $7 million in salary and bonuses, including a hefty $4.5 million roster bonus. That’s a lot, but Lofton was one of the few defensive players who actually lived up to his contract last season as both a thumper in the run game and a valued leader/captain/quarterback of the defense. He wasn’t perfect, with some limitations in pass coverage and missed tackles, but his 144 tackles ranked fourth in the NFL. It’s possible the Saints will approach Lofton about a pay cut. If not, they will certainly convert his roster bonus into a signing bonus to save $2.25 million against the cap.

RB Pierre Thomas (likely to stay at current price): Thomas, 30, is due $2.15 million in salary and bonuses, which is borderline for a part-time player. But he’s been one of the most valuable role players in the entire Sean Payton-Drew Brees era as a runner/receiver/pass protector, and he already took a small pay cut last year. Plus, the Saints will need Thomas even more if they don’t re-sign leading running back Mark Ingram, who is an unrestricted free agent.

S Rafael Bush (likely to stay at current price): Bush, 27, is due $1.95 million in the final year of his two-year contract. He’s likely to stay since the Saints valued him enough to sign him to the deal last offseason. But he fractured his lower leg late last season, which could give the Saints a little pause. Bush should at least get to show where he’s at in training camp.

TE Benjamin Watson (likely to stay at current price): Watson, 34, has been about what the Saints expected as a part-time pass catcher, above-average blocker, and locker-room leader since they signed him in 2012. But he’s worth mentioning on this list because he is due $1.5 million in salary and bonuses, all of which could be saved against the cap if he’s released.

I'd rather have Pierre Thomas than Mark Ingram.

I'd rather have Pierre Thomas than Mark Ingram.

We'll probably keep both as long as Ingram doesn't ask for too much money. If he does well we may draft a guy in the 5th round to replace him, or even a UDFA.

As 7 NFL teams change head coaches, Saints' Sean Payton remains 5th-longest tenured

http://imgick.nola.com/home/nola-media/width620/img/tpphotos/photo/2014/11/30/16466027-mmmain.jpg

Fourteen NFL teams have changed head coaches in the last two offseasons.

New Orleans Saints head coach Sean Payton has a longer tenure with his team than all 14 combined.

The numbers give perspective to the rapid pace of turnover in the NFL. This offseason wasn't any busier than others, but some of the changes were notable.

John Fox parted ways with the Denver Broncos after going 46-18 in four seasons. He landed with the Chicago Bears.

Jim Harbaugh went 44-19 in four seasons with the San Francisco 49ers before leaving for the Michigan Wolverines.

Both Denver and San Francisco promoted assistant coaches to the top jobs.

The New York Jets fired Rex Ryan, who quickly landed a new job with the Buffalo Bills. The Bills' job had been abruptly vacated by Doug Marrone.

Measured by hiring date, Payton has the fifth-longest tenure in the NFL, behind New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick, Marvin Lewis (Cincinnati Bengals), Tom Coughlin (New York Giants) and Mike McCarthy (Green Bay Packers). Payton has coached in fewer games than that group because he was suspended by the NFL in 2012 for the bounty scandal.

Payton has worked under the same general manager (Mickey Loomis) and ownership group since being hired in 2006, and he's praised the organization's stability.

"It's about winning games and being consistent," he said in December. "I think the stability we've had in ownership, general and head coach -- those things give you a chance. They don't guarantee it, but they give you a chance. When you look around the league there are places that are dysfunctional and every two or three years they find themselves back to square one."

The Saints' stability, Payton said, "you just can't take for granted."

https://infogr.am/days_on_the_job_for_nfl_coaches

New Orleans Saints receiver Brandin Cooks says new house made his mom smile

http://imgick.nola.com/home/nola-media/width620/img/tpphotos/photo/2014/09/07/15791478-mmmain.jpg

New Orleans Saints receiver Brandin Cooks said he wanted to buy his mother Andrea "new everything" in a shopping spree back home in California this offseason.

His mother already had a new car after Cooks was drafted in the first round of the 2014 NFL draft by the Saints. He bought her a new house after his rookie season.

Cooks posted the spree on his social media accounts earlier this month.

"It's just one of those things that's indescribable for me to be able to keep that promise," Cooks said Friday in a radio interview on the Jim Rome Show. "It's special just to see the smile on her face, the happiness in her eyes -- how stress-free and more confident she is.

"She feels more comfortable. That's all I wanted to do. That makes me happy, and honestly that makes me want to work even harder because I'm just scratching the surface right now."

In the interview, Cooks said he planned to work out with quarterback Drew Brees again this summer. He was limited in what he could do last summer because of NFL requirements that he finish his semester at Oregon State.

Some more quotes from the interview:

(On how much life has changed in past year)

It's kind of hard to put in words, but it's been a tremendous change, coming from where I came from to living my dream that I always thought about my whole life. It's been a wonderful journey so far. It's still early, but I'm having a great time and I'm blessed.

(On his first season)

I feel it was an alright rookie year. I've got some things to work on. But it was also good because I got my feet in the water and did some good things for the team. I just didn't go out the way I wanted it to go out. So I'm just going to build on it in the offseason.

(On the jump from college to NFL)

The jump was definitely what I expected for the most part. The speed didn't really change for me. I feel like fast is fast, slow is slow. But the thing that did change was how smart and experienced everyone was. Just from taking angles -- usually I'm able to beat the angles easily -- now at the NFL level, you've got to be more particular on how you set your angles and everything like that with your routes.

(On how his background prepared him to be a pro)

The stress level right now is probably 20 times less than what it was last year during this time. You know where you're going, what you've got to do.

Well, I honestly I think I got that first from Oregon State, learning under Coach (Mike) Riley and being coached in that system. I was taught to do the little things right. When I got into the NFL, I knew to follow the path and just do what I needed to do.

(On Riley leaving Oregon State)

I was a little surprised when he left Nebraska. I thought he was going to retire at Oregon State sooner or later. I think he'll do really well at Nebraska, bringing some of his tastes from the Pac-12 and putting it out there. I wish him the best. We talked the other week. He's excited, so I'm excited for him.

(On why the Saints didn't meet expectations)

I really don't know why. ... We do have to fix some little things to get back to the basics, in my opinion, and just play as a team more, and I feel like that won't happen again.

(On getting ready for a second NFL season)

The stress level right now is probably 20 times less than what it was last year during this time. You know where you're going, you know what you've got to do. It's definitely a whole lot easier getting ready for the NFL season right now because you actually can focus on your position and not really think about the Combine and all the stress.

(On the NFL Combine)

It probably felt like two weeks. You really didn't get any sleep. You have to be on your game. You didn't want to be late. And you're also staying at a hotel that has a train station next to it. So it was definitely stressful with all the paperwork and all the questionnaires and the tests. It was a long process that felt longer than three days; it felt like it was two weeks.

Once I hopped on the field, that's what I was born to do. There was no stress there. I've been running my whole life. Once I hopped on that line, I had the confidence and knew I was getting ready to put down something special. I wasn't stressed out on the field at all.

(on Steve Smith)

I definitely like his physicality, how he plays the game with a chip on his shoulder. When I see him, that's what jumps off the screen right away: How he doesn't take anything from anyone. He's a scrappy player but at the same time he's a great route-runner and a great receiver. So that's what I love about Steve Smith. When I watch him, I try to mold my game after that.

ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. joins list of experts predicting the Saints will draft Florida defensive end Dante Fowler

http://i.imgur.com/GVJC8q2.jpg

I appears a consensus has been reached. And that consensus says the New Orleans Saints will select Florida linebacker/defensive end Dante Fowler Jr. with the 13th pick of the NFL draft.

ESPN’s Mel Kiper joined the fray by giving the Saints Fowler in his latest mock draft.

Everyone seems to be mocking the 6-foot-2, 271-pounder to the Saints. It makes sense. New Orleans needs more pass rushers and could be without Junior Galette at the start of the season for disciplinary reasons.

Fowler recorded 50 tackles, 10.5 for a loss, and 3.5 sacks last season.

Here is Kiper’s reasoning for the pick:

“Adding a pass-rusher of Fowler’s pedigree outside the top 10 is a really good get, as I think he’s a guy who comes in and competes for a ton of reps right away. Fowler isn’t dominant in any one area; he’s a good pass-rusher, not a great one, and an effective run defender, but not a destroyer in that area, either. But he also doesn’t come in with a clear weakness.”

Here was my quick take the last time Fowler’s name came up:

“In a quick look at Fowler’s film, the first thing you notice is that he is not tethered to any one position on the field. He can move across the line and play linebacker on both the strong and weak sides. If he’s to play end in a 4-3 defensive front, he might need to add some bulk. One thing that might turn the Saints off is that he does not appear to be an instinctive run stopper — which is an issue the team currently battles with Junior Galette.”

The Raiders are interested as well.

ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. joins list of experts predicting the Saints will draft Florida defensive end Dante Fowler

I appears a consensus has been reached. And that consensus says the New Orleans Saints will select Florida linebacker/defensive end Dante Fowler Jr. with the 13th pick of the NFL draft.

ESPN’s Mel Kiper joined the fray by giving the Saints Fowler in his latest mock draft.

Everyone seems to be mocking the 6-foot-2, 271-pounder to the Saints. It makes sense. New Orleans needs more pass rushers and could be without Junior Galette at the start of the season for disciplinary reasons.

“Adding a pass-rusher of Fowler’s pedigree outside the top 10 is a really good get, as I think he’s a guy who comes in and competes for a ton of reps right away. Fowler isn’t dominant in any one area; he’s a good pass-rusher, not a great one, and an effective run defender, but not a destroyer in that area, either. But he also doesn’t come in with a clear weakness.”

“In a quick look at Fowler’s film, the first thing you notice is that he is not tethered to any one position on the field. He can move across the line and play linebacker on both the strong and weak sides. If he’s to play end in a 4-3 defensive front, he might need to add some bulk. One thing that might turn the Saints off is that he does not appear to be an instinctive run stopper — which is an issue the team currently battles with Junior Galette.”

If Amari Cooper goes to the Jags?

I was reading an article yesterday on the options the Raiders have in the draft. They need more than just receivers.

The draft and the free agents that will be available is what it was about. Its not automatic that they will draft Cooper.

I was reading an article yesterday on the options the Raiders have in the draft. They need more than just receivers.

The draft and the free agents that will be available is what it was about. Its not automatic that they will draft Cooper.

Yeah everything depends on what happens in free agency.

• Like 1

Mickey Loomis: New Orleans Saints have salary cap 'plan,' 20-item checklist for offseason

http://imgick.nola.com/home/nola-media/width620/img/tpphotos/photo/2015/01/06/16710396-mmmain.jpg

INDIANAPOLIS -- The New Orleans Saints have a plan to get under the NFL salary cap by March 10 and an offseason checklist to improve on last year's 7-9 season, general manager Mickey Loomis told NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune in an interview at the NFL Combine.

"I wouldn't call it easy, yet we know what our plan is," Loomis said. "And we've known what it's going to be for some quite time -- in terms of just getting under the cap."

The Saints are well above the projected 2015 salary cap, although the team has as handful of bonus conversions that can quickly slice millions off their cap number.

In some ways, the Saints task is more straightforward than it was a year ago, when Jimmy Graham's status dominated the offseason, or 2012, when Drew Brees was negotiating a new deal.

The only significant decision left on the 2014 roster is Mark Ingram, who the Saints have only three weeks to sign before he becomes an unrestricted free agent.

"We're going to have a list of 20 things, give or take a few, that we want to get accomplished in this offseason," Loomis said. "Fifteen or 16 of them are before the draft and then there's four or five things we'd like to get accomplished in the course of the draft. I don't think that's different."

Loomis said he would view the team critically without overreacting to last year's finish.

"Every year we've got to look at our team with a critical eye and try not to be swayed by the emotional investment we have in any given team," he said. "That's true whether you're 11-5 or 7-9. Obviously we've got a different feeling after 7-9 and not living up to expectations that I think we all had coming into last season.

"But we have to be careful about not letting those those highs and lows -- and obviously last season was a bit of a low -- interfere with what our mind tells us we need to do."

Edited by treeduck

NEW ORLEANS -- The NFL combine opened in Indianapolis on Tuesday, with its 323 invitees arriving to begin the nearly week-long intensive physical and psychological examinations that teams have come to heavily rely on as they attempt quantify the participants' potential on-field prowess as well as their overall mental acuity.

Does an invitation to combine guarantee future NFL success? Absolutely not.

Plenty of players not invited have gone on to have wildly successful careers.

Remember New England's Super Bowl hero this year, cornerback Malcolm Butler? Well, he wasn't invited to last year's combine, and lo and behold not even a year later he was on his way to Disney World.

Denver wide receiver Wes Welker, Pittsburgh linebacker James Harrison, San Diego tight end Antonio Gates all were combine snubs; all went on to have tremendous careers.

Of course there are far too many prospects each year to include them all. Consequently, there are inevitably combine snubs each year, many of whom ultimately make their way on to NFL rosters.

Several members of the 2014 New Orleans Saints were at one time combine snubs, including tight end Josh Hill, linebacker Ramon Humber, safety Pierre Warren, center Tim Lelito and tackle Bryce Harris, just to name a few.

Since the combine began in 1982, only three players not invited became first-round selections (defensive end Aaron Jones in 1988, defensive tackle Eric Swann in 1991 and CB Darrien Gordon in 1993). Typically, most players who aren't invited to participate become either late round picks or sign as undrafted free agents.

There has been no shortage of coverage involving this year's invitees, especially the marquee players.

Thus, here are five players who weren't invited that could help address some of the Saints more glaring needs.

1. Imoan Claiborne, CB, Northwestern State, 5-11, 187 pounds

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/92420cc0f8052186a470cd7dc37dd77a3326f1e7/c=0-68-798-1132&r=383&c=0-0-380-510/local/-/media/2015/02/18/WWL/WWL/635598515690497587-USATSI-8355761-168380669-lowres.jpg

A physical, press-man corner who's not afraid to mix it up with bigger receivers, Claiborne has decent speed, but very good instincts. The knock on him is his size, but he has knack for the ball and has consistently demonstrated he is a good tackler. He performed quite well at the Senior Bowl and should be a late-round pick.

2. David Andrews, C, Georgia, 6-2, 294 pounds

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/84073d2372fdce7a84ab6921ae6900266d742d7a/c=15-0-579-424&r=x513&c=680x510/local/-/media/2015/02/18/WWL/WWL/635598528577758627-combine-andrews.jpg

He was a three-year starter who did not allow a sack over his last two seasons. He's considered a smart, tenacious player who plays with fantastic body control. He's led the way for a tremendous running attack at Georgia and excels at getting to the second level. He's another player who scouts have overlooked because of his smaller frame, but someone I believe will have a successful career in the NFL.

3. Jeff Luc, ILB, Cincinnati, 5-11, 263 pounds

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/94898ff76e4b70367c0515f6fdd0da4a1d0434cd/c=0-33-396-561&r=383&c=0-0-380-510/local/-/media/2015/02/18/WWL/WWL/635598528467151082-combine-jeffluc.jpg

The biggest knock on Luc is, and has always been his size. He was ESPN's No. 1 linebacker in the nation coming out of high school and originally played at Florida State before transferring to Cincinnati, where he finished his collegiate career. Still, he's one of the most powerful linebackers in this year's draft and a tackling machine. He had 18 against eventual national champion Ohio State last year, finishing with 134 and 6.5 sacks. He also led the FBS in forced fumbles (six) and fumble recoveries (four).

4. Malcolm Agnew, RB, Southern Illinois, 5-9, 207 pounds

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/thesouthern.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/4/78/47805a7c-2070-57a1-9fd8-239e39f34991/53fff56115044.preview-620.jpg

He's the son of former defensive tackle Ray Agnew, the New England Patriots first-round pick in 1990. Malcolm was easily the best running back at the NFLPA Collegiate Game this year, carrying eight times for 53 yards. He also is a very good pass catcher out of the backfield and possesses tremendous burst when he plants and cuts upfield.

5. Shaq Mason, OG, Georgia Tech, 6-1, 310 pounds

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2014/0629/ncf_i_mason01jr_400x600.jpg

Mason was a three-year starter at Tech and a first-team All-American last year. However, because of his size, many analysts believe he will ultimately move to center. He's considered one of the most powerful drive blockers in this year's draft, yet his short arms and the option system he played in at Tech are some of the more talked about knocks on him.

Domestic violence charge against Junior Galette dismissed by prosecutor

http://imgick.nola.com/home/nola-media/width620/img/tpphotos/photo/2015/01/05/16704455-mmmain.jpg

A domestic violence charge against New Orleans Saints outside linebacker Junior Galette was dismissed on Thursday, according to the Kenner city attorney.

Mike Power confirmed to NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune on Thursday night that the charge had been dropped.

Power said assistant city attorney Howat Peters interviewed three witnesses to the incident before making the decision.

"This confirms what we have said from the beginning about Junior Galette's actions and character," Galette's attorney, Ralph Whalen, said in a statement on Thursday.

Galette was arrested for simple battery involving domestic violence on Jan. 5 at his home in Kenner after a 22-year-old woman called police and alleged that Galette beat her. The same woman filed a civil lawsuit against Galette on Thursday.

Police also arrested Terrance Banks, 27, of Newark, N.J., who described himself as Galette's cousin. Power said a simple battery charge against Banks was also dropped.

Power said interviews with witnesses cast doubt on whether the alleged victim was a member of the household. Domestic violence charges can only involve persons in the same household, he said.

The woman said in the lawsuit that she lived with Galette for two years, most recently at his home on Rue de la Harbor in Kenner.

Joseph Raspanti, who is representing the woman in the civil suit, said the lawsuit won't be affected by the dropped criminal charge.

Galette, 26, signed with the Saints as an undrafted free agent in 2010 and agreed to a lucrative four-year contract extension last September.

Galette's initial court appearance had been set for next week.

Galette could also face investigation by the NFL for possible violations of its personal conduct policy. Although the NFL has said that Galette's case is under review, Raspanti said that neither he nor his client had been contacted by the league.

Edited by treeduck

Saints Coach Sean Payton talks about coaching changes, combine and Mark Ingram

New Orleans Saints Coach Sean Payton

Thursday, February 19, 2015

Can you talk about what went into the coaching staff changes?

“I think from the minute the season ended we talked with our team and coaching staff. Mickey (Loomis) and I spent a lot of time, really trying to look closely at what we have to correct. We knew there would be some change with regards to hiring some coaches, obviously the notable one being Dennis Allen returning. He is someone that we’ve had a long history with. He was on our original staff in 2006. He coached our secondary during the Super Bowl run and then had a chance to be a coordinator and go on to be a head coach. I think a lot of people are (have questions about it), (but) it is not a normal situation where you are able to bring in a coach like that and say you (Allen) and Rob (Ryan) are going to work together but it works because both Rob and Dennis are guys that are passionate about it and really understand that this is something that benefits both of them and the team. But I have been asked that question a lot. We probably spent a week just going through the dynamics of the room. Here is Dennis who has experience at this and certainly Rob’s role is as the defensive coordinator and he will be the guy calling our defense on gameday, but I think Dennis gives him another veteran set of eyes that can help him (Ryan), our defensive staff and our team.

"It is about winning and it is about us finding opportunities to improve on our team, our roster, and our coaching staff anywhere we can in the building.

"We have some other additions on offense. We have a new running backs coach (Joel Thomas), (and) Dan Roushar moved to tight ends. He (Roushar) has coached pretty much all those inside positions. He has been an offensive line coach, a tight ends coach, a running backs coach and an offensive coordinator, so he gave us some flexibility and that is a position he was anxious to work with. Then we hired Joel from Arkansas and he had come in last Monday.

"We had four or five new coaches come in last week and he is one of them. (Wide receivers coach) John Morton was in the week before. Some of these guys grabbed their Indy (NFL Scouting Combine) bags and were flying here right away. We also were able to hire James Willis to be an assistant linebacker coach. He is someone that I am familiar with when he was a player with the Philadelphia Eagles. Joe Vitt coached him when he was a player with the Eagles. He is a young, talented football coach. And then we lost some coaching assistants and guys that maybe the fans or the people who aren’t as familiar with, a guy like Carter Sheridan who has done a tremendous job for us for 10 years and he was working here before I got here. He is someone that was outstanding. He received an opportunity to go with Curtis (Johnson) at Tulane so he will be the receivers coach there. Then Frank Smith who had been with us the last five years accepted a position with the Chicago Bears coaching the tight ends. So Brendan Nugent comes in and Kyle DeVan comes in, these are some younger coaches, guys with some experience. Kyle DeVan played right here at Indianapolis during their Super Bowl run (in 2009). There’s a lot of stuff going on and a lot of moving pieces and yet clearly identifying the chain of command is important and making sure these guys get on the same page very quickly. They are all here and we really have not had our first staff meeting. A lot them just got in Monday.”

When you change up the staff does it give you fresh ideas or a fresh set of eyes?

“I think it can and it is no different than the roster. (With the) The roster, there is a change that takes place every year. I think we have to look closely at how we as coaches can improve because obviously it is important when you come off a season that we just had to first look in the mirror and say alright, this wasn’t good enough. I know Mickey (Loomis) and I have talked a lot about it. We’ve talked with the staff and you will see some changes the same way with our roster that takes place every year. To just turn the page and go back to what you were doing would be silly.”

How critical is the combine/draft to free agency? Do you address needs in free agency and then go to the draft and address other needs?

“We have always been fairly judicious with regards to (the) signing of a free agent player. There has to be a fit and yet we are not afraid to do that. I do think you pay attention to the depth as it pertains to the draft class and you would say hey, this is a draft class that is deeper at this position. We think we can find this player in the draft as opposed to free agency. We will look closely at the free agent market and a lot of times it will be that second wave of free agents that we pay attention to, and then also our own roster. That is one of the big challenges this time of the year because there is that constant change and there are some tough discussions that have to be dealt with and taken place. That kind of comes up every year.”

How far along are you guys in the 20-part offseason plan Mickey Loomis has mentioned?

“It is listed. It is clear. He and I (Loomis), as recent as last night were going through a few of these moves and yet we are still sitting here before the gates have opened (for free agency and the draft). Free agency hasn’t started yet we are (also) preparing for the draft. I think all of that hopefully can be accomplished in the next three or four months.”

Is it difficult to gauge what you guys can do or want to do with Mark Ingram?

“He had a fantastic season. He is a player that we look at and have a value for and he is our draft pick. He stayed healthy this year. I couldn’t be more excited to see him have this success because you see the work behind the scenes. You see the preparation by him. You see the professionalism by him and he is a football guy. He was at Alabama and he was in high school. It is good to see him have that type of success especially a guy that you brought into the program. Now it is just asserting or figuring out where is that number going to be for him. I am sure if you are Mark and you are Mark’s agent you are looking closely at it and hopefully he is someone that is back in the Black and Gold because he has been a big part of our success offensively.”

How much can you find out from interviews at the combine?

“I think it is the one thing, it is 15 minutes long and we really kind of changed how we handle that 15 minutes. We spend two or three minutes on getting to know the player and then very quickly with about 11 minutes left we are into football and the hardest thing for us to gauge is throw away the test scores and the grade point averages. How smart is this guy football-wise? There have been some really really smart players that we’ve coached that maybe had a low test score and didn’t test well or didn’t spend the time on it. Conversely we’ve had some real great (academic) students, fantastic, straight-A students that really struggled with football. We are trying to spend as much time on finding out who are the players that really jump out at you with football intelligence and then who are the players that really struggle.”

Edited by treeduck

Florida outside linebacker Dante Fowler Jr. likes Rob Ryan's scheme, says he's 'that type of guy'

http://imgick.nola.com/home/nola-media/width620/img/saints_impact/photo/16795305-mmmain.jpg

INDIANAPOLIS -- Florida outside linebacker Dante Fowler Jr. might be one of the happiest players at the 2015 NFL Scouting Combine.

When Fowler took the podium in front of assembled media on Friday afternoon, he was smiling and cracking jokes. His plan for the numerous interviews he will conduct with teams is to win them over with his personality.

"My film speaks for itself," he said. "Many coaches know my football, it's just getting to know me."

Fowler has not gone through Combine drills yet, but measured in at 6 foot, 2.5 inches and 261 pounds.

"But my doctor told me I was 6'3, so I'm sticking with 6'3," he corrected with a smile.

Fowler said if he could leave one impression with a team, it would be that he's a "coachable guy" and a team player.

"I want to be that type of guy that can come in and play," he said. "That I can turn a team and a defense around at the same time, just try to be that guy who can help out in the community and try to be the face of that team one day.''

In an interview with Pro Football Talk on Thursday, Saints coach Sean Payton named pass rusher as one of the team's top needs. With the Saints holding the 13th overall pick in the 2015 NFL draft, there's no guarantee Fowler would still be available.

He has been linked to the Saints in some mock drafts and projected as high as second overall to the Titans in others. He has links to the Falcons, having worked with coach Dan Quinn when he was at Florida.

But if personality were the overriding factor, there's little doubt Fowler would connect instantly with boisterous Saints defensive coordinator Rob Ryan.

"I don't like to be rude. You don't want to be all kinds of grumpy and rude. You don't want to be that," Fowler joked. "You get wrinkles from all that stuff. I'm not trying to get that.''

With Fowler, much like Ryan, it seems what you see is what you get. That's why he couldn't help himself when asked if he grew up a Buccaneers fan as a St. Petersburg, Fla. native.

"Um...," he said, hesitating. "I mean, they're my home team. So, I like the Bucs. But you know, the Bucs, are the Bucs...

"You know what I mean?," he said, much to the amusement of the crowd.

Personality aside, Fowler has kept an eye on Ryan's stops dating back to his days with the Cleveland Browns. And he's learned a lot about the Saints through his former teammate Ronald Powell, who was a rookie in 2014.

"He gives a lot of looks," Fowler said. "I was watching him ever since he was with the Cleveland Browns. He was doing pretty good over there and I like his scheme, he plays 3-4, 4-3, and he just lets his guys go all over the place. And I'm that type of guy."

Playing all over is exactly what Fowler has done for the last three years in Will Muschamp's system at Florida.

Fowler was asked to play right defensive end, left defensive end, defensive tackle and outside linebacker, sometimes rushing from a two or three point stance or dropping back into coverage. Fowler had 60 tackles and 8.5 sacks as a junior in 2014.

"Really in Coach Muschamp's defense, it was multiple," Fowler said. "I played in a 3-4, 4-3, so my freshman year I played a lot of defensive end, sophomore year I did a lot of both, and my junior year we played a lot of 3-4 so I was the Buck linebacker."

He added: "I can do it all, some linebacker, some defensive end, I can do both. I can rush really good and I can drop back in coverage. If I want to think I'm a big guy, I like to go out there and mess with the receivers, I can play in the flats and in the curls. I can play everywhere."

New Orleans Saints don't need to rush on Drew Brees' contract extension

http://imgick.nola.com/home/nola-media/width620/img/tpphotos/photo/2015/02/06/16956996-mmmain.jpg

The New Orleans Saints are wise to wait on Drew Brees' contract extension.

Normally I'm the guy pushing Mickey Loomis to be proactive on deals. But not this time. Not on this deal. Not with two years remaining on the contract. It's too important to the club's long-term plans. The next two years will tell us all we need to know about Brees and whether he really can play until he's 40 or not.

Besides, the Saints have more important priorities to address.

That's why Saints coach Sean Payton said Thursday the club has not discussed a Brees extension and has no plans to do so this offseason.

"It's nothing that we've discussed as something immediate," Payton told Pro Football Talk Live. "I don't think that's something that's going to be happening anytime soon or something that he or his agent have talked with (Saints general manager Mickey Loomis) about, either."

Yes, they Saints could use the cap space. And Brees' $26.4 million chunk is the largest slice in their salary cap pie. But they can find room elsewhere.

By re-structuring the contracts of Junior Galette, Jairus Byrd, Jimmy Graham and Curtis Lofton and seeking pay cuts from Marques Colston and possibly Ben Grubbs, David Hawtorne and Brodrick Bunkley the Saints can create more than enough space to become cap compliant.

Moreover, anything the Saints do with Brees' deal will only increase his 2015 salary cap figure, which is already $27.4 million. Next year is the year to re-work Brees' deal, assuming the Saints believe he's still their starting quarterback.

Brees turned 36 last month. He is the third oldest starting quarterback in the NFL. He'll be 38 by the time his current contract expires.

His statistics declined across the board last season. Team officials need to determine how much of the drop-off was due to Brees and how much was due to his decling in production from his supporting personnel and/or extenuating circumstances.

Conventional wisdom suggests it's a little of both. How much will go a long way toward determining the Saints' future plans for Brees. For now, the Saints are wise to wait, try to bolstor the roster around him and then take another season to evaluate his performance.

"Because of the structure of the contract, anything you take out this year you're putting into next year's cap," said Joel Corry a former agent who analyses NFL salary cap issues for CBSSports.com and NationalFootballPost.com. "If you do that, you're gonna have a $30 million cap hit or more next year. If you don't care and know you're going to extend him (in the future), it doesn't really matter as much when you do it. If you saw something in 2014, that maybe the end of the road is sooner than you may have thought, then it makes sense to work around the cap and wait a year to see how he plays."

Payton steadfastly defended Brees' performance last season. "He is the least of our worries," Payton said defiantly at mid-season.

And I tend to agree. While Brees was far from perfect, he's not the main reason the Saints plummeted to 7-9 last season. Far from it.

http://media.nola.com/tpphotos/photo/2014/12/29/16666409-large.jpg

The Saints were worse in nearly every aspect of the game than they were in 2013. The defense dropped off the map and the execution of the offensive line and receiver corps was not up to previous standards.

Consequently, Brees found himself in the familiar position of trying to do too much too often. The predictable bad results followed.

If anything Brees is a victim of his own brilliance. He's spoiled us with his unprecedented efficiency and prolificacy over the years. His 2009 and 2011 seasons rank among the best ever by an NFL quarterback. He's one of four quarterbacks ever to produce two seasons with passer efficiency ratings of 109 or better. The others: Tom Brady; Peyton Manning; and Aaron Rodgers. His 71.2 and 70.6 completion percentages in 2011 and 2009 remain the two highest in a single season in NFL history.

"His numbers are great and so are his advanced metrics," Corry said. "But he had 17 interceptions and turnovers at inopportune times. So it's smart to work around the cap number this season and evaluate him for another year."

And I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Brees' to take a Tom Brady hometown discount. A second-round draft pick who signed his second contract after a career-threatening injury, he's played for below-market value for most of his career.

Moreover, his history as a member of the NFL Players Association executive board and the grievances he filed during his 2012 contract negotiations are revealing.

"His track record doesn't suggest someone who is going to be willing to take a hometown discount," Corry said.

I don't see Brees taking a penny less than what he's worth on the open market. Nor do I think he should.

Besides, with mega-deals looming for Ben Roethlisberger, Russell Wilson, Eli Manning, Andrew Luck and Cam Newton, Brees' five-year, $100-million deal will be far from an outlier. It might even seem like a bargain.

Whether Brees is worth elite quarterback money in 2017 or not, remains to be seen. But I do know the Saints are smart to wait before pulling the trigger.

New Orleans Saints coach Sean Payton talks about improving team’s leadership

http://i.imgur.com/F0KcwCa.jpg

INDIANAPOLIS — Like many of his players, Sean Payton believes one of the reasons his team struggled last season was due to a lack of leadership.

The Saints coach was not shy about sharing his feelings during an interview with Pro Football Talk on Thursday at the scouting combine when asked if he’s figured out why his team finished 7-9.

“I think we struggled with some leadership positions. I think, overall, there was a big change when guys like Will Smith, John Vilma, Jabari Greer, Malcolm Jenkins, Roman Harper, those are a number of players — Darren Sproles — in one offseason leave. I think losing that experience and leadership hurt us some.”

Payton said he met with general manager Mickey Loomis on Wednesday evening and talked about finding smart and tough football players. He did note, however, that he thinks the majority of the players on his roster fit into that category.

But even though Payton believes he has the right kind of players, the leadership never materialized last season, and he said he is looking into figuring it out and that it starts with himself. To fix that issue, Payton said he will look both inside and outside the organization.

“I think both,” Payton said. “I think there’s going to have to be a few guys we look at in free agency. I also think we have a good, young nucleus of players — a good locker room, by and large, but you can never take that for granted.

“We just keep paying attention to what’s winning. Again, you at New England, the success they’ve had, the consistency that they’ve done it with. There’s been a formula for them, and it’s something we tried to emulate when we got here in ’06.”

In a possibly related question, Payton was asked what his team’s biggest needs are. He listed cornerback, interior offensive line and “potentially” a pass rusher as three areas of concern.

Payton also noted he would like to see running back Mark Ingram return next season.

“Now it’s just asserting or figuring out where’s that number going to be for him,” Payton said. “I’m sure if you’re Mark and you’re Mark’s agent, you’re looking closely at it. Hopefully, he’s someone that’s back in the Black and Gold.”

Payton on staff changes

Payton does not believe there will be an issue with Rob Ryan and Dennis Allen both overseeing the defense.

Allen, who previously served as the coach of the Oakland Raiders, was brought in last month to work as an assistant coach focusing on defense. But Payton said measures have been taken to ensure both men know their roles.

“We probably spent a week just going through the dynamics of the room,” Payton said on a video released on the team’s official website. “Here’s Dennis, whose got experience at this, and certainly that’s Rob’s role. He’s the defensive coordinator, and he’ll be the guy calling our defense on game day. But Dennis gives him another veteran set of eyes and can help him and the defensive staff.”

Payton said he understands people questioning how the situation will work and is aware it is a unique situation, but he believes both men are willing to make it work and that having both will only make the Saints stronger.

“It’s not a normal situation where you’re able to bring in a coach like that and say, ‘Hey, you and Rob are going to work together,’ ” Payton said. “It works because both Rob and Dennis are guys that are passionate about and understand this is something that benefits both of them and the team.”

Possible target

With Payton viewing offensive line help as one of his team’s three primary needs this offseason, it seems likely the team will address that position either through free agency or the draft.

If the team goes the draft route, it could lead the Saints to former Iowa tackle Brandon Scherff, who is one of the top-rated offensive linemen in this draft class.

And if the Saints were to take Scheff with the 13th pick, it sounds like he would relish the opportunity to protect Drew Brees.

“Drew’s a great quarterback; it would mean the world,” Scherff said. “Whether it’s tackle or guard, I’ll play wherever they give me the chance to play.”

If Scherff were to come to New Orleans, he likely would be asked to play on the inside — where Payton said the team has one of its biggest needs.

This creates an interesting scenario because New Orleans currently has guards Jahri Evans and Ben Grubbs under contract. Both players have salaries that could put them in the cross hairs this offseason, but right now there is not an immediate opening.

Scherff was scheduled to have a formal meeting with New Orleans on Thursday evening. Each team can meet with 60 prospects at the scouting combine.

Saints GM Mickey Loomis talks about the value of trading up versus trading down in the NFL Draft

http://rookie.com/p/2014/02/mickey-loomis.jpg

INDIANAPOLIS — After the Super Bowl, I was asked to write a column comparing the Saints and the Patriots, the team I previously covered for four years.

In doing that comparison, I noted the Patriots have had nearly 30 more draft picks than New Orleans since 2006. Like many other teams, fans and media often complain about how many players New England misses on in the draft, but the sheer volume of picks helps disguise the impact of some of those misses.

New Orleans, on the other hand, often trades up, which often means sacrificing picks in later rounds. When the Saints do this, it means there are no safety nets.

So, with this in mind, I asked general manager Mickey Loomis about this thoughts on the value of trading up vs. trading down in the draft.

“I love doing both,” Loomis said. “If you look at the history of our league and the history of trades, there are successful moves up and unsuccessful moves up and there are successful moves down and unsuccessful moves down.

“Part of the theory of moving back is that you get more opportunities, right? Nobody is hitting 100 percent certainly. In fact, it’s probably closer to 60 percent. The more opportunities you have, probably the hit rate — I get that theory. Sometimes it’s, “Man, this guy we just love, he fits us exactly. Let’s go get this guy.’

“Some of the things that cause players to have success in our league are not predictable, injuries chief among those things. I think there’s good reason to move back and good reasons to move forward. It just depends where you’re at and what your target is.”

Former Ohio State receiver Devin Smith says the Saints would "be a great fit" for him

http://i.imgur.com/b1tikgC.jpg

FEBRUARY 19, 2015 NICK UNDERHILL

INDIANAPOLIS — If you’re a young wide receiver with dreams of making spectacular catches in an offense that loves to air it out, it would make sense to envision Drew Brees as the guy throwing you passes.

So, when Ohio State product Devin Smith was asked how he would feel about playing in the New Orleans Saints offense, there was a moment of detectable joy on his face as he let the thought sink in.

“Oh, we’re gonna go get it,” Smith said. “That’d be a great fit. There’d be older guys there that would help me get through what I need to get through and sure I’m headed in the right direction.”

It’s not clear if the Smith and the Saints “are gonna go get it” in the draft. New Orleans has several pressing needs, including cornerback, on the offensive line, and in its pass rush, with wide receiver checking in somewhere well down the list.

And considering Smith is one of the higher-rated receivers in this class, he might not be within reach if New Orleans goes for another position with the 13th pick.

But for now, Smith can dream. And it would probably be OK for Saints fans to envision life with another deep threat at Brees’ disposal.

Report: Saints reach out to Jahri Evans about reworking contract

Posted by Josh Alper on February 23, 2015, 11:08 AM EST

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptrkoda3mzmxntfknde5yjfmogm3mzi0mdliotc5mtay-e1424707726777.jpeg?w=220

Saints right guard Jahri Evans was selected to the Pro Bowl for the sixth-straight season in 2014, but his efforts on the field often fell short of the high level of performance implied by his inclusion on the roster.

Evans wound up missing the game because he had surgery on his wrist to repair torn ligaments after the end of the regular season and that injury may have affected him on the field. Whatever the cause, the Saints appear to feel that they’re on track to pay Evans more than they’d like to pay him for the 2015 season.

Katherine Terrell of the New Orleans Times-Picayune reports that the cap-strapped Saints have reached out to Evans’s representatives about the possibility of restructuring Evans’s deal. Evans is set to make $7.5 million in salary and bonuses in 2015 with a cap hit of $11 million with a similar setup for 2016, so it would seem that a straight pay cut would be in play since anything else will add to the cap burden down the road.

Terrell reports that Evans’s release is a possibility if things can’t be worked out and it will likely move up to a likelihood if Evans is unwilling to agree to a cut. The same could be true of left guard Ben Grubbs, who carries a $9.6 million cap hit, as the Saints try to put things back together after a 7-9 season.

Source says Patrick Robinson, Saints have mutual interest in new deal

http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/15/files/2012/02/5611062.jpg

The Saints have held preliminary contract discussions with cornerback Patrick Robinson and there is “mutual interest” in reaching an agreement, according to a source.

Robinson, a former first-round pick, is set to reach free agency. If a deal is not reached, the cornerback will be free to sign with another team when the league year begins on March 10.

Robinson served in various capacities last season before settling into the slot, where he held opposing quarterbacks to a 57.5 quarterback rating, according to Pro Football Focus. If he is brought back, the Saints would likely eye him for a similar role next season.

Robinson finished last season with 39 tackles and two interceptions.

During an interview at the scouting combine, coach Sean Payton listed cornerback as one of the team’s biggest offseason needs. The Saints recently signed Delvin Breaux out of the CFL and will likely look for additional help either through the draft or free agency.