Lerxt's place in "rock guitar" history...

alieninvasion76

I used to think Alex was overlooked / underrated but not anymore... It's just that there's a lot of undeserving guitarists who get the spotlight instead.

Also, Neil and Geddy have great placings in "top so and so" lists which they're deserving of. Naturally, Alex will gain recognition through this. Geddy and Neil are top-tier musicians, and Alex is... Almost there. But not quite.

But, returning to the “Multifaceted” thing, if there's anyone whose a better balancing act of shredding, melody, soul, phrasing, and just sheer "balls out" guitar playing than Alex "Lerxt" Lifeson, they must live on another planet!!

Disagree

I also think Alex gets knocked a little because his live work can sometimes be sloppy.... but I also think that is foolish. Watch Page play live.... he's so sloppy you'd swear he is drunk half the time.

I worked for a partner whose father was Led Zeppelin's lawyer. He told me a story of traveling with the band to a show in the Starship, and Page was just completely wonked out on heroin. The partner said that he didn't believe that Page would be able to play that night, but as showtime came someone directed him to the stage and led him up there, and Page came alive and played. He wasn't drunk, he was high as a kite.

I think that actually impresses me a bit when I listen to the boots of his performances.

• Like 1

I used to think Alex was overlooked / underrated but not anymore... It's just that there's a lot of undeserving guitarists who get the spotlight instead.

Also, Neil and Geddy have great placings in "top so and so" lists which they're deserving of. Naturally, Alex will gain recognition through this. Geddy and Neil are top-tier musicians, and Alex is... Almost there. But not quite.

But, returning to the “Multifaceted” thing, if there's anyone whose a better balancing act of shredding, melody, soul, phrasing, and just sheer "balls out" guitar playing than Alex "Lerxt" Lifeson, they must live on another planet!!

Disagree

I also think Alex gets knocked a little because his live work can sometimes be sloppy.... but I also think that is foolish. Watch Page play live.... he's so sloppy you'd swear he is drunk half the time.

I worked for a partner whose father was Led Zeppelin's lawyer. He told me a story of traveling with the band to a show in the Starship, and Page was just completely wonked out on heroin. The partner said that he didn't believe that Page would be able to play that night, but as showtime came someone directed him to the stage and led him up there, and Page came alive and played. He wasn't drunk, he was high as a kite.

I think that actually impresses me a bit when I listen to the boots of his performances.

Well, that would explain that!

Wow, it's been a while since I started this topic, and it'll be a while longer before I get to read all the replies (thanks so much for those by the way). One recurring theme through many of the replies to this thread was Steve Howe in response to my assertion: "if there's anyone whose a better balancing act of shredding, melody, soul, phrasing, and just sheer "balls out" guitar playing than Alex "Lerxt" Lifeson, they must live on another planet!! And in this regard, I didn't say Lerxt was "the best", just that I'd be hard pressed to find someone better with respect to this combination of qualities, ie. this also implies that there are others who are his equal, and Monsieur Howe would certainly be among them, going right back to "The Yes Album".

Anyway, I'll come back and revisit this when I've had a chance to read all these replies but, before I go, I leave you with this little slice of Alex. Namaste!

Edited by alieninvasion76
  • Like 1