Three LP Rush album to follow ATWAS

Rutlefan

I like old cars that typically have only cassette players so I will still occasionally make cassette mixes. To complement the ATWAS cassette (which perfectly captures their early material, except that I moved What You're Doing and added the London Cygnus X-1 to fill out the sides) I set out to make another 2-LP Rush mix of the rest of their career, but it ballooned into 3 LPs. Surprised myself by how many later songs I included. So here's mine (each pair of sides gets repeated so that there's no rewinding). I have to admit that this lineup rocks. Best three LP album ever for my tastes.

For the very geeky among you, what would yours be? The boundaries are that each pair of sides has to stay within about 46 minutes, and ideally gets to about 45 minutes to minimize the dead space.

Side 1

The Spirit of Radio

Red Barchetta

Jacob’s Ladder

Limelight

(22:58)

Side 2

A Passage to Bangkok

The Pass

The Analog Kid

New World Man

Losing It

(21:46)

(Cassette side length 44:44)

Side 3

Closer to the Heart

Xanadu

Natural Science

(23:16)

Side 4

Circumstances

Different Strings

The Trees

La Villa Strangiato

(21:51)

(Cassette side length 45:07)

Side 5

Kid Gloves

How It Is

Secret Touch

Leave That Thing Alone

Vital Signs

(23:51)

Side 6

Nobody’s Hero

The Larger Bowl

The Anarchist

Between the Wheels

(21:42)

(Cassette side length 45:33)

• Like 1

I see you mostly like to group tunes together from the same era (roughly) with a couple of exceptions. I guess it would be kind of weird to have early screechin' raw Rush mixed with later stuff.

I see you mostly like to group tunes together from the same era (roughly) with a couple of exceptions. I guess it would be kind of weird to have early screechin' raw Rush mixed with later stuff.

Yeah, it mostly turns out that way, though the idea was to have songs that I thought sound right together, or flow well together. Sticking to the 21-23 minute LP side length to a lesser extent affected the order; for example I had Closer to the Heart and Circumstances swapped originally, but the side lengths worked better the way I have them now as Closer to the Heart is shorter by nearly a minute. Wouldn't have made a difference to the cassette length, but in the spirit of geekiness I tried to stick with the LP pretense.

Edited by Rutlefan

I like old cars that typically have only cassette players so I will still occasionally make cassette mixes. To complement the ATWAS cassette (which perfectly captures their early material, except that I moved What You're Doing and added the London Cygnus X-1 to fill out the sides) I set out to make another 2-LP Rush mix of the rest of their career, but it ballooned into 3 LPs. Surprised myself by how many later songs I included. So here's mine (each pair of sides gets repeated so that there's no rewinding). I have to admit that this lineup rocks. Best three LP album ever for my tastes.

For the very geeky among you, what would yours be? The boundaries are that each pair of sides has to stay within about 46 minutes, and ideally gets to about 45 minutes to minimize the dead space.

Side 1

The Spirit of Radio

Red Barchetta

Jacob’s Ladder

Limelight

Side 2

A Passage to Bangkok

The Pass

The Analog Kid

New World Man

Losing It

Side 3

Closer to the Heart

Xanadu

Natural Science

Side 4

Circumstances

Different Strings

The Trees

La Villa Strangiato

Side 5

Kid Gloves

How It Is

Secret Touch

Leave That Thing Alone

Vital Signs

Side 6

Nobody’s Hero

The Larger Bowl

The Anarchist

Between the Wheels

:o

You can't fu** with ATWAS!! :madra:

A plague is upon us! :outtahere:

:P

• Like 2

Side 1

The Spirit of Radio

Red Barchetta

Jacob’s Ladder

Limelight

Side 2

A Passage to Bangkok

The Pass

The Analog Kid

New World Man

Losing It

Side 3

Closer to the Heart

Xanadu

Natural Science

Side 4

Circumstances

Different Strings

The Trees

La Villa Strangiato

Side 5

Kid Gloves

How It Is

Secret Touch

Leave That Thing Alone

Vital Signs

Side 6

Nobody’s Hero

The Larger Bowl

The Anarchist

Between the Wheels

:sigh: :outtahere:

Side 1

The Spirit of Radio

Red Barchetta

Jacob’s Ladder

Limelight

Side 2

A Passage to Bangkok

The Pass

The Analog Kid

New World Man

Losing It

Side 3

Closer to the Heart

Xanadu

Natural Science

Side 4

Circumstances

Different Strings

The Trees

La Villa Strangiato

Side 5

Kid Gloves

How It Is

Secret Touch

Leave That Thing Alone

Vital Signs

Side 6

Nobody’s Hero

The Larger Bowl

The Anarchist

Between the Wheels

:sigh: :outtahere:

Well, in my defense, What You're Doing had been dropped by the first CD release, but I admit that's a weak excuse. I just have to admit I like Cygnus X-1 more.

It was bound to happen. Too many songs I couldn't ignore so the 6 LP sides (10 including ATWAS) ballooned to 8 sides of 100 minute cassettes. So, for those stuck in a car with only a cassette player, here's my version of Rush's career over about 400 minutes (ATWAS order changed for the 50-minute sides). The running lengths vary from about 49 to 52 minutes a side, and except for ATWAS (which I'll listen to straight through), I repeat each track order on both sides of a cassette so that I don't have to rewind. The only song that hurts to leave behind is "No One at the Bridge," though it would have been nice to squeeze in "The Necromancer" as well.

Cassette 1 (ATWAS plus Cygnus X-1 from Hammersmith Odeon ’78)

Side 1:

Bastille Day

Anthem

Fly by Night/In the Mood

Something for Nothing

Lakeside Park

What You’re Doing

Side 2:

By-Tor & the Snow Dog

In the End

Working Man/Finding My Way

Cygnus X-1 (Hammersmith Odeon)

Cassette 2

A Farewell to Kings

Xanadu

Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres (less The Sphere)

Circumstances

The Trees

La Villa Strangiato

(repeat)

Cassette 3

The Spirit of Radio

Red Barchetta

Jacob’s Ladder

Limelight

A Passage to Bangkok

Twilight Zone

Lessons