Substancewithoutstyle's Slightly Frivolous Flora and Fauna Photo Gallery

HomesickAlien

You know have your own segment. I expect answers my friend...you're the man on this stuff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vgunir2ATqI

1:05 Isn't that a garter snake? It could also be a ribbon snake, but ribbon snakes have a white spot in front of the eye; I couldn't tell from the video. Anyway, I see a lot of garter snakes here, and I've unintentionally sent more than one to an early grave with the lawn mower. :(

4:20 Obolaria virginica (Pennywort)

4:45 :huh:

4:57 Conopholis americana (Squawroot) -parasitic and grows mostly on the roots of oaks.

5:03 Some sort of cup fungus, maybe a species of Peziza.

6:30 Wild violets

6:35 Buttercups (Ranunculus)

6:42 Fleabane (maybe Erigeron annuus)

6:50 Dogwood (Cornus)

Did you see Ginseng at 4:14? How did you like my "swami" music?

The leaf in the lower left corner? What do you do with it, sell it? I see Virginia Creeper (Parthenocissus quinquefolia) around the Pennywort at 4:15.

The music is a suitable accompaniment for that weird cup fungus at 5:03. :LOL:

http://i.imgur.com/jcbiJL4.png?1

Edited by substancewithoutstyle
  • Like 1

You know have your own segment. I expect answers my friend...you're the man on this stuff

1:05 Isn't that a garter snake? It could also be a ribbon snake, but ribbon snakes have a white spot in front of the eye; I couldn't tell from the video. Anyway, I see a lot of garter snakes here, and I've unintentionally sent more than one to an early grave with the lawn mower. :(

4:57 Conopholis americana (Squawroot) -parasitic and grows mostly on the roots of oaks.

The leaf in the lower left corner? What do you do with it, sell it?

I see Virginia Creeper (Parthenocissus quinquefolia) around the Pennywort at 4:15.

Here ginseng sells for about 300 a lb

• Like 1

The leaf in the lower left corner? What do you do with it, sell it?

I see Virginia Creeper (Parthenocissus quinquefolia) around the Pennywort at 4:15.

My brother saw Virginia Creeper and thought it was Poison Ivy...what a dork

• Like 1

20 April 2015

Monday

Palawan Stink Badger

This peculiar-looking mammal has an elongated, mobile snout that looks like that of a pig, but a well-furred body and clawed, stout forelimbs that look more like that of a badger. The soft fur on the back of the Palawan stink badger is brown to black, peppered with a few silver or white hairs, and a clear triangular spot of silvery white on the head and neck, variable in size and white color shading; the fur on the underside is brown. It has a pointed face, small ears and eyes, and well-developed anal scent glands, which, as its name suggests, secrete a foul-smelling fluid.

Active by both day and night, the Palawan stink badger moves with a somewhat cumbersome walk, intermittently lowering its head to the ground as if smelling for the correct direction. The Palawan stink badger has a number of lines of defence. It may turn its hind parts towards the threatening animal, approach to a suitable distance and then squirt a jet of foul-smelling, yellowish fluid from its anal glands. At other times, the Palawan stink badger may ‘play dead’ before ejecting the stinking secretion over the unsuspecting intruder. The putrid stench of the secretion does not dissipate for some time.

Like the other stink badger species, the Palawan stink badger probably rests in burrows, either dug by itself or one excavated by a porcupine. While the diet of stink badgers is not clear, it is thought that they feed mainly on insects that are encountered as they walk along the ground or amongst the undergrowth. Captive stink badgers have fed on worms, insects, and the entrails of chickens.

The Palawan stink badger occurs in the Palawan and Calamian Islands, Philippines. Grassland thickets, cultivated areas, as well as forest, are all suitable habitats for the Palawan stink badger. It is often found close to rivers and creeks, where it is seen among vegetation on the banks.

• Like 3

19 April 2015

Paleontology... Sunday?

Argentavis

Argentavis magnificens (literally "magnificent Argentine bird") is the largest flying bird ever discovered. This bird, sometimes called the Giant Teratorn, is an extinct species known from three sites from the late Miocene (6 million years before present) of central and northwestern Argentina, where a good sample of fossils has been obtained.

With a wingspan estimated at seven meters across,‭ ‬Argentavis was roughly twice the size of the largest flying bird today‭ (‬Wandering Albatross‭)‬,‭ ‬and only the long extinct pterosaurs could have rivalled and exceeded it for size.‭

Argentavis seems to have relied more upon air currents for taking off as the immense size of its wings means that it could not flap them when outstretched without the tips hitting the ground.‭ ‬Instead, Argentavis would have had an easier time just stretching out its wings and facing into the oncoming wind.‭ ‬From this position, Argentavis could run into the prevailing wind to get air moving across its wing surfaces and then use its legs to jump up into the air.‭ ‬

Feeding behaviour for Argentavis has been hard to ascertain,‭ ‬but it is thought to have been a carnivore.‭ ‬Argentavis is not thought to have been an active predator due to its body shape and comparatively weak breast muscles.‭ ‬A much more believable behaviour for Argentavis would be that of a scavenger,‭ ‬perhaps similar to an Andean Condor‭,‭ ‬a bird thought to possibly be the most similar living bird to Argentavis but less than half its size.‭ ‬Scavenging would also require little in the way of active movement,‭ ‬reducing the required number of calories to keep its body going.

While no one can say for certain how long Argentavis lived,‭ ‬its large size and possibly sedate lifestyle when compared to active predators suggest that it may have been quite long lived.‭ ‬The large size of Argentavis meant that it also had no known predators in the air, while most of the ground predators were too small to be a threat.

Wowsers! Those wings! :o

:ebert:

• Like 1

18 April 2015 Saturday

Dung Beetles

Dung beetles are coprophagous insects, meaning they eat excrement of other organisms. Although not all dung beetles eat poop exclusively, they all eat feces at some point in their life. Most prefer to feed on herbivore droppings, which are largely undigested plant matter, rather than carnivore waste, which holds very little nutritional value for insects. When you think of a dung beetle, you probably picture a beetle pushing a ball of poop along the ground. But some dung beetles don’t bother rolling neat little dung balls at all. Instead, these coprophages stay close to their fecal finds. Aphodian dung beetles (subfamily Aphodiinae) simply live within the dung they find, often cow patties, rather than investing energy in moving it. The earth-boring dung beetles (family Geotrupidae) typically tunnel below the dung pile, making a burrow which can then be easily provisioned with poop. When dung beetles do carry or roll the dung away, they do so primarily to feed their young. Dung beetle nests are provisioned with poop, and the female usually deposits each individual egg in its own tiny dung sausage. When the larvae emerge, they are well-supplied with food, enabling them to complete their development within the safe environment of the nest. When it comes to poop, the fresher the better (at least from the dung beetle perspective). Once a dung patty has dried out, it’s less palatable to even the most dedicated poop eater. So dung beetles move quickly when an herbivore drops a gift in the pasture. One scientist observed 4,000 dung beetles on a fresh pile of elephant scat within 15 minutes after it hit the ground, and shortly thereafter, they were joined by an additional 12,000 dung beetles. Even a small ball of fresh dung can be hefty to push, weighing 50 times the weight of the determined dung beetle. Male dung beetles need exceptional strength, not just for pushing dung balls but also for fending off male competitors. The individual strength record goes to a male Onthphagus taurus dung beetle, which pulled a load equivalent to 1,141 times its own body weight. In human terms, that would be like a 150 lb. person pulling 80 tons. There are 7000 dung beetle species that can be found on each continent except Antarctica. Dung beetles inhabit many different types of ecosystems; they can be found in rainforests, deserts, and grasslands.

Oh, crap! :o

Exactly! :LOL:

Unintentional! :P

• Like 1

20 April 2015

Monday

Palawan Stink Badger

This peculiar-looking mammal has an elongated, mobile snout that looks like that of a pig, but a well-furred body and clawed, stout forelimbs that look more like that of a badger. The soft fur on the back of the Palawan stink badger is brown to black, peppered with a few silver or white hairs, and a clear triangular spot of silvery white on the head and neck, variable in size and white color shading; the fur on the underside is brown. It has a pointed face, small ears and eyes, and well-developed anal scent glands, which, as its name suggests, secrete a foul-smelling fluid.

Active by both day and night, the Palawan stink badger moves with a somewhat cumbersome walk, intermittently lowering its head to the ground as if smelling for the correct direction. The Palawan stink badger has a number of lines of defence. It may turn its hind parts towards the threatening animal, approach to a suitable distance and then squirt a jet of foul-smelling, yellowish fluid from its anal glands. At other times, the Palawan stink badger may ‘play dead’ before ejecting the stinking secretion over the unsuspecting intruder. The putrid stench of the secretion does not dissipate for some time.

Like the other stink badger species, the Palawan stink badger probably rests in burrows, either dug by itself or one excavated by a porcupine. While the diet of stink badgers is not clear, it is thought that they feed mainly on insects that are encountered as they walk along the ground or amongst the undergrowth. Captive stink badgers have fed on worms, insects, and the entrails of chickens.

The Palawan stink badger occurs in the Palawan and Calamian Islands, Philippines. Grassland thickets, cultivated areas, as well as forest, are all suitable habitats for the Palawan stink badger. It is often found close to rivers and creeks, where it is seen among vegetation on the banks.

Looks like skunks aren't the only species to spray stuff everywhere.

• Like 1

20 April 2015

Monday

Palawan Stink Badger

Cute...but very stinky, I imagine

• Like 2

Thanks for knowledge brotha man!

• Like 1

25 April 2015

Saturday

Common Snipe

The common snipe is a superbly camouflaged bird, most often seen fleeing erratically after being flushed from its concealed location. This skulking bird has cryptically patterned, mottled brown upper parts, with pale stripes on the back, and dark streaks on the chest, and paler underparts.

Using its greatly elongated bill, the common snipe probes under the moist substrate for its insect, earthworm, crustacean or spider prey. Food on the surface may be located by sight and picked up, but prey under the ground is located using the touch-sensitive sensory pits at the tip of the flexible bill. Smaller food items are swallowed whole, while larger items are broken into smaller pieces before being consumed. The common snipe typically feeds at dawn and dusk, often in small groups, on land or in shallow water, but usually does not stray far from cover.

The common snipe breeds between April and August, with the males arriving at the breeding site up to two weeks before the females. Initially, the female bird is courted by several males, but once the female selects a nest site, a permanent bond is formed with a single male. The pair bond is reinforced with a variety of courtship displays, including a ‘winnowing’ flight, which involves a slow ascent in a wide circle, before a rapid descent back to the ground. A simple nest, which is no more than a scrape in the ground lined with grass, is subsequently constructed by the female in a dry, elevated position concealed by long grasses. A small territory is defended around this nest by both birds, and intruders are repelled by ‘winnowing’ flights, and on occasions when fights ensue, bill jousting. Two to five eggs are laid at intervals of one day and incubated by the female for some 17 to 20 days. The chicks soon leave the nest after hatching, with the male taking half the chicks, and the female taking the other half.

The common snipe is a widespread wetland bird that breeds at northern latitudes and migrates southwards before the onset of winter. During the breeding season, this elusive bird may be found throughout Alaska and Canada and northern parts of the United States, and from Iceland, the Faeroe Islands and the United Kingdom, east towards northern Russia and south to northern Spain, Austria, Ukraine, southern Siberia and northern China. At other times of the year, it may also be found in Central America, northern South America, sub-Saharan Africa, central and southern Europe, and South and Southeast Asia.

• Like 4

25 April 2015

Saturday

Common Snipe

The common snipe is a superbly camouflaged bird, most often seen fleeing erratically after being flushed from its concealed location. This skulking bird has cryptically patterned, mottled brown upper parts, with pale stripes on the back, and dark streaks on the chest, and paler underparts.

Using its greatly elongated bill, the common snipe probes under the moist substrate for its insect, earthworm, crustacean or spider prey. Food on the surface may be located by sight and picked up, but prey under the ground is located using the touch-sensitive sensory pits at the tip of the flexible bill. Smaller food items are swallowed whole, while larger items are broken into smaller pieces before being consumed. The common snipe typically feeds at dawn and dusk, often in small groups, on land or in shallow water, but usually does not stray far from cover.

The common snipe breeds between April and August, with the males arriving at the breeding site up to two weeks before the females. Initially, the female bird is courted by several males, but once the female selects a nest site, a permanent bond is formed with a single male. The pair bond is reinforced with a variety of courtship displays, including a ‘winnowing’ flight, which involves a slow ascent in a wide circle, before a rapid descent back to the ground. A simple nest, which is no more than a scrape in the ground lined with grass, is subsequently constructed by the female in a dry, elevated position concealed by long grasses. A small territory is defended around this nest by both birds, and intruders are repelled by ‘winnowing’ flights, and on occasions when fights ensue, bill jousting. Two to five eggs are laid at intervals of one day and incubated by the female for some 17 to 20 days. The chicks soon leave the nest after hatching, with the male taking half the chicks, and the female taking the other half.

The common snipe is a widespread wetland bird that breeds at northern latitudes and migrates southwards before the onset of winter. During the breeding season, this elusive bird may be found throughout Alaska and Canada and northern parts of the United States, and from Iceland, the Faeroe Islands and the United Kingdom, east towards northern Russia and south to northern Spain, Austria, Ukraine, southern Siberia and northern China. At other times of the year, it may also be found in Central America, northern South America, sub-Saharan Africa, central and southern Europe, and South and Southeast Asia.

Pretty bird and cute chick! :)

• Like 1

25 April 2015

Saturday

Common Snipe

Pretty.

I hear they dream about Morels, and respond well to code.

• Like 3

25 April 2015

Saturday

Common Snipe

Pretty.

I hear they dream about Morels, and respond well to code.

:LOL:

26 April 2015

Sunday

Aardwolf

Dog-like in appearance, the aardwolf (Proteles cristata) is a hyaena characterised by a distinctive sloping back, large, pointed ears and a long mane running from the back of the head to the tail.

The aardwolf is a primarily nocturnal and solitary species. With a home range of one to four square kilometres, it is highly territorial and defines its territory by extensive scent marking. Upon encountering other aardwolves, it will raise its mane as a warning sign until recognition has been established. Fights for territory do sometimes occur between aardwolves, and with other species, particularly jackals.

The aardwolf has a highly specialised diet consisting almost exclusively of harvester termites (Trinervitermes species), and is able to tolerate the toxic secretions of the termite soldiers. In the summer, as many as 3,000 termites may be consumed each night, while in the winter, termites are much scarcer and only around a fifth of this number will be consumed, resulting in a dramatic loss of body mass. The aardwolf’s cheek teeth are little more than flattened pegs and are of little use; instead, it has a long, sticky tongue that is effective at licking termites from the soil surface.

Females come into season in late June and often mate within the first two weeks of July. Following a gestation of around 90 days, typically two to four cubs are born within a den, where they remain for the next month. During this time, the male plays a role in caring for the cubs by guarding the den, often from territorial attacks by jackals. Between three and four months of age, the cubs begin to forage throughout the territory with the adults and are weaned at the end of this period.

The aardwolf occurs in two distinct populations; the southern population covers most of southern Africa, and the northern population extends from eastern Kenya, Somalia and Ethiopia.

• Like 4

26 April 2015

Sunday

Aardwolf

Dog-like in appearance, the aardwolf (Proteles cristata) is a hyaena characterised by a distinctive sloping back, large, pointed ears and a long mane running from the back of the head to the tail.

The aardwolf is a primarily nocturnal and solitary species. With a home range of one to four square kilometres, it is highly territorial and defines its territory by extensive scent marking. Upon encountering other aardwolves, it will raise its mane as a warning sign until recognition has been established. Fights for territory do sometimes occur between aardwolves, and with other species, particularly jackals.

The aardwolf has a highly specialised diet consisting almost exclusively of harvester termites (Trinervitermes species), and is able to tolerate the toxic secretions of the termite soldiers. In the summer, as many as 3,000 termites may be consumed each night, while in the winter, termites are much scarcer and only around a fifth of this number will be consumed, resulting in a dramatic loss of body mass. The aardwolf’s cheek teeth are little more than flattened pegs and are of little use; instead, it has a long, sticky tongue that is effective at licking termites from the soil surface.

Females come into season in late June and often mate within the first two weeks of July. Following a gestation of around 90 days, typically two to four cubs are born within a den, where they remain for the next month. During this time, the male plays a role in caring for the cubs by guarding the den, often from territorial attacks by jackals. Between three and four months of age, the cubs begin to forage throughout the territory with the adults and are weaned at the end of this period.

The aardwolf occurs in two distinct populations; the southern population covers most of southern Africa, and the northern population extends from eastern Kenya, Somalia and Ethiopia.

I've never seen photos of the pups before. They're adorable.

• Like 1

26 April 2015

Sunday

Aardwolf

Looks cute...but also a bit untrustworthy...there's something going on there behind those eyes

• Like 1

27 April 2015

Monday

Saiga Antelope

(Saiga tatarica)

Native to central Asia, Saiga antelope have an extremely distinctive appearance, with an enlarged nose that hangs down over the mouth. Despite their common name, these ungulates are thought to be intermediates between antelope and sheep.

Saiga are nomadic animals and undertake seasonal migrations from summer pastures in steppe grassland to winter pastures in desert areas. Large groups of saiga migrate southwards to the winter grounds, covering up to 72 miles in a day. The rut begins in late November and males gather groups of around 30 females in ‘harems’, which they defend aggressively. During the rut, males’ noses swell up and the hair tufts below the eyes are covered in a sticky secretion. Males do not feed much during the rutting season, when they take part in violent fights that often end in death. The male mortality rate can reach 90 percent during this time, due to exhaustion. Surviving males begin to migrate north at the end of April. Females give birth at this time, usually to two young, which are initially concealed in vegetation; all the females within the herd will give birth within a week of each other. Once the calves are a few days old, the whole herd breaks into smaller herds which head northwards to the summer feeding grounds. Once there, smaller groups break off, reforming again for the journey south the following autumn.

Saiga graze on a number of different grasses, herbs and shrubs. The unusual swollen nose is thought to filter out airborne dust during the dry summer migrations and to enable cold winter air to be warmed before it reaches the lungs.

Currently, there are three populations of the subspecies S. t. tatarica in Kazakhstan - the Ural, Ust’-Urt and Betpakdala, and one population in the Pre-Caspian region. Some herds from one of the populations within Kazakhstan migrate to Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan during the winter. Each of these populations is distinct and there is little intermingling of the populations. Until the early 1960s there was also a population of Saiga tatarica in China. Two populations of the Mongolian saiga (S. t. mongolica) inhabit the northwest of Mongolia.

• Like 4

27 April 2015

Monday

Saiga Antelope

(Saiga tatarica)

Native to central Asia, Saiga antelope have an extremely distinctive appearance, with an enlarged nose that hangs down over the mouth. Despite their common name, these ungulates are thought to be intermediates between antelope and sheep.

Saiga are nomadic animals and undertake seasonal migrations from summer pastures in steppe grassland to winter pastures in desert areas. Large groups of saiga migrate southwards to the winter grounds, covering up to 72 miles in a day. The rut begins in late November and males gather groups of around 30 females in ‘harems’, which they defend aggressively. During the rut, males’ noses swell up and the hair tufts below the eyes are covered in a sticky secretion. Males do not feed much during the rutting season, when they take part in violent fights that often end in death. The male mortality rate can reach 90 percent during this time, due to exhaustion. Surviving males begin to migrate north at the end of April. Females give birth at this time, usually to two young, which are initially concealed in vegetation; all the females within the herd will give birth within a week of each other. Once the calves are a few days old, the whole herd breaks into smaller herds which head northwards to the summer feeding grounds. Once there, smaller groups break off, reforming again for the journey south the following autumn.

Saiga graze on a number of different grasses, herbs and shrubs. The unusual swollen nose is thought to filter out airborne dust during the dry summer migrations and to enable cold winter air to be warmed before it reaches the lungs.

Currently, there are three populations of the subspecies S. t. tatarica in Kazakhstan - the Ural, Ust’-Urt and Betpakdala, and one population in the Pre-Caspian region. Some herds from one of the populations within Kazakhstan migrate to Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan during the winter. Each of these populations is distinct and there is little intermingling of the populations. Until the early 1960s there was also a population of Saiga tatarica in China. Two populations of the Mongolian saiga (S. t. mongolica) inhabit the northwest of Mongolia.

Interesting faces, and some impressive horns

• Like 1

26 April 2015

Sunday

Aardwolf

I've heard of aardvarks before, but never an Aardwolf. Still, they look nice, and what a cute baby! :heart:

• Like 1

27 April 2015

Monday

Saiga Antelope

(Saiga tatarica)

Such beautiful creatures. :)

• Like 1

28 April 2015

Tuesday

Hydnora africana

Hydnora africana is one of the most bizarre looking plants on the African continent, and certainly not the most common of plants to be encountered. It is a parasitic plant on species of the genus Euphorbia. It has such an unusual physical appearance that one would never say it is a plant; it looks astonishingly similar to fungi and is only distinguishable from fungi when the flower has opened.

The plant body is completely leafless, void of chlorophyll, and found underground around the host plant. As it ages, the plant turns dark grey to black. A network of thick rhizophores or subterranean stems and roots traverse the soil around the host. These fleshy, angular, warty stems bear a series of vermiform (shaped like a worm) outgrowths that connect to the roots of the host. Plants only become visible when the flowers protrude through the soil after good rains have fallen. Under favourable conditions it takes at least one year for a bud to develop into a mature flower.

The flowers bear no resemblance to normal flowers except for the bright salmon to orange red colour on the inside, which fulfills the same purpose as normal flowers, which is to advertise the plant. White bait bodies are found on the inner base of the flowers. The bait bodies play a very important role in the life cycle of the plant. They omit a putrid odour to attract various carrion beetles and other insects which become trapped in the flowers. Numerous stiff bristles are found on the inner surface of the perianth lobes which restrain the trapped insect from escaping. After feeding on the bait bodies, the trapped insect drops down the flower tube onto the anthers, collecting pollen all over its body. It then drops even further down onto the soft cushion-shaped stigma, thus pollinating the flower.

Not much is known about the germination of the seeds except that the seeds are more likely to germinate in close proximity to the host plant. The germinated seed develops a primary root (primary haustorium) which establishes the first attachment point to the host. Once established, the plant is able to live off the nourishment from the host and quickly develops a matrix of underground stems from which the flower buds develop and eventually emerge above the ground.

Hydnora africana is found from the western coastal areas of Namibia, southwards to the Cape and then northwards throughout Swaziland, Botswana, KwaZulu-Natal and as far as Ethiopia. It is not endangered and although not often encountered, is thought to be fairly common in semi-arid vegetation.

• Like 3

28 April 2015

Tuesday

Hydnora africana

Hydnora africana is one of the most bizarre looking plants on the African continent, and certainly not the most common of plants to be encountered. It is a parasitic plant on species of the genus Euphorbia. It has such an unusual physical appearance that one would never say it is a plant; it looks astonishingly similar to fungi and is only distinguishable from fungi when the flower has opened.

The plant body is completely leafless, void of chlorophyll, and found underground around the host plant. As it ages, the plant turns dark grey to black. A network of thick rhizophores or subterranean stems and roots traverse the soil around the host. These fleshy, angular, warty stems bear a series of vermiform (shaped like a worm) outgrowths that connect to the roots of the host. Plants only become visible when the flowers protrude through the soil after good rains have fallen. Under favourable conditions it takes at least one year for a bud to develop into a mature flower.

The flowers bear no resemblance to normal flowers except for the bright salmon to orange red colour on the inside, which fulfills the same purpose as normal flowers, which is to advertise the plant. White bait bodies are found on the inner base of the flowers. The bait bodies play a very important role in the life cycle of the plant. They omit a putrid odour to attract various carrion beetles and other insects which become trapped in the flowers. Numerous stiff bristles are found on the inner surface of the perianth lobes which restrain the trapped insect from escaping. After feeding on the bait bodies, the trapped insect drops down the flower tube onto the anthers, collecting pollen all over its body. It then drops even further down onto the soft cushion-shaped stigma, thus pollinating the flower.

Not much is known about the germination of the seeds except that the seeds are more likely to germinate in close proximity to the host plant. The germinated seed develops a primary root (primary haustorium) which establishes the first attachment point to the host. Once established, the plant is able to live off the nourishment from the host and quickly develops a matrix of underground stems from which the flower buds develop and eventually emerge above the ground.

Hydnora africana is found from the western coastal areas of Namibia, southwards to the Cape and then northwards throughout Swaziland, Botswana, KwaZulu-Natal and as far as Ethiopia. It is not endangered and although not often encountered, is thought to be fairly common in semi-arid vegetation.

Awesome looking plant! :cool: Looks like a B-Movie monster

• Like 1

That's fantastic! And yeah, it does look like something from a monster movie.

So it seems Hydnora africana has given up photosynthesis and instead gets its nutrients by predating on insects? How cool.

• Like 2

Awesome looking plant! :cool: Looks like a B-Movie movie monster

That's fantastic! And yeah, it does look like something from a monster movie.

It reminded me of Little Shop of Horrors.

http://i.imgur.com/DCgZFxM.png

• Like 3