Question for guitarists in re Alex

TheWinslowOfWillowdale

The shredders all sound the same as I believe Satriani taught Vai and Van Halen, and it has become a soulless trick. I personally find Alex Lifesons solos harder to play in terms of those little subtleties similar to Jimmy Page; bends, slides etc. Think of that mega bend in Whole Lotta Love, 2 octaves. I've heard many technical guitarists make a meal of it. There's a bit at the beginning of The Trees solo where it starts high up the fret board then down to top of the fret board then back up the fret board ending in a nice vibrato note, Alex lands it so beautifully. On The Analog Kid his solo sounds like a virtuoso violinist. The lead playing in The Necromancer is pretty impressive as well.

My favourite Lifeson solo that sings to me and beats any of that twiddly, scale shite, is in the third part of Natural Science.He doesn't do it live, wonder if he ever did.

Edited by tas7
  • Like 1

The shredders all sound the same as I believe Satriani taught Vai and Van Halen, and it has become a soulless trick. I personally find Alex Lifesons solos harder to play in terms of those little subtleties similar to Jimmy Page; bends, slides etc. Think of that mega bend in Whole Lotta Love, 2 octaves. I've heard many technical guitarists make a meal of it. There's a bit at the beginning of The Trees solo where it starts high up the fret board then down to top of the fret board then back up the fret board ending in a nice vibrato note, Alex lands it so beautifully. On The Analog Kid his solo sounds like a virtuoso violinist. The lead playing in The Necromancer is pretty impressive as well.

My favourite Lifeson solo that sings to me and beats any of that twiddly, scale shite, is in the third part of Natural Science.He doesn't do it live, wonder if he ever did.

Satriani didnt teach Van Halen..hahaha....and Eddie Van Halen is far from a soulless shredder...you need to do a little more research on the history of the instrument. Annoys the hell out of me when Eddie is lumped in with guitar instrumental guys like Satriani and Vai

Edited by Xanadoood
  • Like 2

I stand corrected, I was thinking of Alex Skolnick. There was a competition here of local kids shredding and after the fifth one I was begging them to shut up. Over driven guitar to the point of sounding like one of those toy guitars where you press a button and it automatically shreds.

I like some bits of shredding and I bought the first Van Halen album when it first came out but it gets wearing and a bit predictable. Sometimes it works like in Flying in a Blue Dream title track - Satriani but I end up skipping a lot of the other tracks, too clinical for me.

Edited by tas7

Satriani didnt teach Van Halen..hahaha....and Eddie Van Halen is far from a soulless shredder...you need to do a little more research on the history of the instrument. Annoys the hell out of me when Eddie is lumped in with guitar instrumental guys like Satriani and Vai

In full agreement with you. Satch and Vai are hollow, sterile offshoots from Eddie.

I stand corrected, I was thinking of Alex Skolnick. There was a competition here of local kids shredding and after the fifth one I was begging them to shut up. Over driven guitar to the point of sounding like one of those toy guitars where you press a button and it automatically shreds.

I like some bits of shredding and I bought the first Van Halen album when it first came out but it gets wearing and a bit predictable. Sometimes it works like in Flying in a Blue Dream title track - Satriani but I end up skipping a lot of the other tracks, too clinical for me.

Have you checked out any other Van Halen albums?...If not, go listen to Fair Warning and 1984...great playing...sure, some " flash", but Eddie wrote great riffs, and had a ton of soul..the guy could write songs, not just extended solos over a drum track, witch is what guys like Satriani sound like..

Yeah, I bought Van Halen II and after the initial wow of Eruption off the first album really appreciate Spanish Fly which I personally think is harder to play. There are bits of later Van Halen that I like, funny there was this kids programme called Starfleet where the theme music was written by Brian May and Eddie Van Halen. It was pretty obvious who the better guitarist was.