treeduck

Payton “very upset” with Graham’s pair of post-touchdown dunks

Posted by Mike Florio on August 16, 2014, 7:46 AM EDT

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2014/08/graham1.jpg?w=207

When the NFL outlawed the goalpost dunk, Saints tight end Jimmy Graham vowed to lead the league in penalties. While he’ll have competition from defensive backs throughout the league, Graham got off to a good start on Friday night.

Two touchdowns, two dunks, two flags for Graham. And one pissed off coach.

Payton said nothing to Graham after the first one. Payton apparently said something to Graham after the second. Payton definitely said something to the media afterward.

“Yes, I was [upset],” Payton told reporters, via Nick Underhill of the Baton Rouge Advocate. “I’m very upset. Would you be upset? I was, particularly.”

In all, the Saints had 22 penalties. But the most avoidable came from Graham, who simply needs to not continue to do that which became illegal after he knocked a goalpost askew in Atlanta during a regular-season game in 2013.

Even if Graham’s defiance of the rules and his coach ends now, it’ll likely be costly. Under the 2014 fine schedule, a first offense unsportsmanlike conduct foul costs $11,025. A second offense costs $22,050. If the league decides to send a message to Graham, he could be donating $33,075 to the various charities that receive the fine money collected throughout the season.

Ongoing defiance would get more costly. But it’s likely that Graham won’t have to worry about testing the NFL’s limits; Graham already has exceeded his coach’s.

a) I see your game was as unwatchable as the Eagle-Cheatriot game on the NFLN. 22 penalties? How many were hands to the face or illegal contact?

b ) Graham won't do it in the regular season, I'm sure. But the exhibition games are such jokes no one should care.

Quite a few, there were holding penalties, playing the man and not the ball penalties, pass interference, neutral zone infractions, pretty much everything they could think of.

In the Patriot-Eagle game, the announcers were openly and almost continuously talking exclusively about the Cheatriots.

Edited for accuracy :LOL:

Well, that too.

Didn't Belichick look cute trying to operate a tablet?

• Like 2

Cox Sports Television has told the Cajun food products company Slap Ya Mama that its in-game red zone promotion seen recently during broadcasts of Saints preseason contests at St. Louis on Aug. 8 and against Tennessee on Aug. 15 will be canceled due to concerns over the group’s name, according to a news release from Slap Ya Mama on Saturday.

Furthermore, the NFL is prohibiting all virtual signage from remaining preseason games.

Slap Ya Mama’s communique said the company’s advertising representative — Walker & Sons Inc. — received an email from Cox Media Louisiana Director of Sales Marc Leunissen informing them that “in light of the domestic violence issues facing the NFL, (the league) instructed CST (to) pull the Slap Ya Mama logo from our enhancements in the last (preseason) game,” which is Thursday in New Orleans against Baltimore. Walker & Sons says it believes the NFL told Cox Media to do this Monday.

Prior to Saturday’s news, Baltimore running back Ray Rice received a two-game suspension in the wake of a Feb. 15 arrest on accusations that he attacked and knocked out then-fiancee Janay Palmer during an argument at an Atlantic City hotel. Video footage that appeared online showed Rice dragging Palmer out of an elevator as she was apparently unconscious. Palmer — who was also arrested as a result of the row in Atlantic City — is now married to Rice.

Regardless, on Thursday, the NFL’s office sent a memo to all league teams announcing that effective immediately and for the rest of the preseason Commissioner Roger Goodell had banned all virtual signage such as the Slap Ya Mama promotion, which had been coming on screen whenever the ball first got within 20 yards of the end zone in the Saints’ exhibitions on Cox Sports Television.

A copy of the memo provided by Slap Ya Mama made no mention of any concerns over domestic violence issues. It mentioned that “certain advertisers and brands were not consistent with NFL standards and messaging.” It said some “virtual signage can detract from the game telecast and create a less desirable viewing experience for fans watching.”

And it talked about how “the league does not permit virtual signage in national game telecasts, and its presence local preseason telecasts, combined with those games’ increased national exposure, creates both a widening standards gap between the league’s national broadcast partners and preseason telecast stations and a resulting variance in quality.”

NFL Media Chief Operating Officer Brian Rolapp and NFL Films Chief Operating Officer Howard Katz signed the memo.

In a statement, Walker & Sons Inc.’s vice president of marketing said “we are really shaking our heads over this one!”

“We’ve been doing this for three years with no complaints,” Jack D. Walker said. “People who know our brand ‘get it’ but all of a sudden, after three years, the NFL doesn’t.”

Walker’s statement explained that “Slap Ya Mama” referred to “a loving slap on the back and a kiss on the cheek to your mama as a thank you for preparing another great tasting dish.”

It went on to explain that Slap Ya Mama Cajun Products is owned by Jennifer Walker of Ville Platte and is managed by her sons, Jack and Joe. Their father, Anthony “T.W.” Walker, created the seasoning; and the name was chosen because it represented the family’s food and culture.

Walker said the NFL’s decision ruined what is Slap Ya Mama’s biggest advertising commitment of the year. Feedback from customers suggested it was popular, he said in his statement.

The Saints face Indianapolis on the road Saturday. Kickoff is at 7 p.m. Central time on CBS.

These Colts commentators including Dan Fouts aren't bad.

I'm taping it. I'll let you know what I think tomorrow.

They actually came out with some interesting info about Drew Brees that I didn't know. And they're pretty fair not just talking about the home team all the time.

They actually came out with some interesting info about Drew Brees that I didn't know. And they're pretty fair not just talking about the home team all the time.

Are they Colts announcers? This is the CBS National game here in the US

Are they Colts announcers? This is the CBS National game here in the US

Well it's CBS, but they said it was some kind of special broadcast, might be local CBS, not sure. They'll probably say again no doubt.