anyone into shoegaze at all?

ucsteve667

This isn't a shoegaze band per se but they stick their foot in the water now and then, like this, "I was Right" from Leaves Me Blind by the Underground Lovers. Love it, great band.

I present Catherine Wheel:

They came a bit late for the shoegaze label, ended up getting lumped into alt rock/radio/grunge. But were they 2 years earlier they'd fit and be synonymous with the other bands mentioned. They were fairly well known at the time, though for only a brief couple albums (Ferment and Chrome).

This is the only band in the sub-genre I really enjoy. They have a brash, full melodic sound that appeals to me. Chrome has made a bigger impact on me as a musician than all of Rush's material combined. Those familiar with my personal musical output should clearly hear it. I've probably listened to Chrome more times over the years than Moving Pictures.

Edited by stoopid
  • Like 1

Yeah, I like shoegaze. My Bloody Valentine, Lush, Kitchens of Distinction, Ride, Curve, Cranes, Chapterhouse, Slowdive, Pale Saints

I can't help but wonder if it's making a slight comeback. My Bloody Valentine recently released a new one simply titled "MBV". Kitchens of Distinctions released a new one this year called "Folly".

Sampler from Kitchens from their new album:

http://youtu.be/FiSgv8Ivdcg

The best song from Kitchens of Distinction is Drive That Fast.

I present Catherine Wheel:

They came a bit late for the shoegaze label, ended up getting lumped into alt rock/radio/grunge. But were they 2 years earlier they'd fit and be synonymous with the other bands mentioned. They were fairly well known at the time, though for only a brief couple albums (Ferment and Chrome).

This is the only band in the sub-genre I really enjoy. They have a brash, full melodic sound that appeals to me. Chrome has made a bigger impact on me as a musician than all of Rush's material combined. Those familiar with my personal musical output should clearly hear it. I've probably listened to Chrome more times over the years than Moving Pictures.

:goodone:

Catherine Wheel may be the most underrated band of all time! :haz:

Here are my faverites from them.

• Like 1

I always felt that way. They wrote strong pop hooks awashed in droning distortion. It's modern pop art. It seems those of us who remember are still fans all these years later.

• Like 1

Smashing Pumpkins, IMO, tried the same formula with more commercial success but I don't find their music nearly as compelling, and certainly not as raw. Dickinson's also a more pleasant vocalist. Corgan is a whiny bitch. Still, Siamese Dream will always have its place as one of those singular albums of the 1990s that elevated noise rock and made it digestible for the masses. [yes, I call this genre noise rock because that's really what it is] Edited by stoopid
  • Like 1

Smashing Pumpkins, IMO, tried the same formula with more commercial success but I don't find their music nearly as compelling, and certainly not as raw. Dickinson's also a more pleasant vocalist. Corgan is a whiny bitch. Still, Siamese Dream will always have its place as one of those singular albums of the 1990s that elevated noise rock and made it digestible for the masses. [yes, I call this genre noise rock because that's really what it is]

If you like Siamese Dream, check out their debut, Gish. It's not as polished, but I like it even better.

• Like 1

I always felt that way. They wrote strong pop hooks awashed in droning distortion. It's modern pop art. It seems those of us who remember are still fans all these years later.

They are one of my top 5 favorite bands of all time. Ferment and Chrome are two of the finest albums created ever. Not a bad song on either album.

Smashing Pumpkins, IMO, tried the same formula with more commercial success but I don't find their music nearly as compelling, and certainly not as raw. Dickinson's also a more pleasant vocalist. Corgan is a whiny bitch. Still, Siamese Dream will always have its place as one of those singular albums of the 1990s that elevated noise rock and made it digestible for the masses. [yes, I call this genre noise rock because that's really what it is]

If you like Siamese Dream, check out their debut, Gish. It's not as polished, but I like it even better.

I don't mind the Pumpkins, just can't stand Corgan. Melloncollie and the machine album have some decent tracks. Siamese Dream is/was really the only one that survived in my collection though, everything else is shelved or got sold off in the great CD dumping of 2008. I never really liked Gish, as I recall. I'm sure it's on youtube though if I was really curious.

Edited by stoopid