Combining Album

losingit2k

For GuP through Presto, the album openers are very good, but not nearly as much so...and they are completely overshadowed by much better songs on the album.

Gotta disagree on this. For me, Distant Early Warning, The Big Money, Force Ten, and Show Don't Tell are all really good songs and rank among the top two or three tunes on their respective albums. Love Big Money as an opener.

I agree too, The Big Money and Force Ten are two of my favorite album openers

So you must like Power Grab more than Power of the Countersnake :)

Pop Rocks

1. Neurotica

2. Heresy

3. The Big Wheel

4. You Bet Your Life

5. Face Up

6. Spectacular Mediocrity (drum solo)

7. Virtuality

8. The Color of Right

9. Carve Away the Stone

10. Half the World

11. Dog Years

Wow, I thought Cyclonus X-1 had a rough go, but you've combined two albums to make one album that is actually weaker than both of your originals. But from the title of the drum solo, this may have been your intent.

• Like 1

For GuP through Presto, the album openers are very good, but not nearly as much so...and they are completely overshadowed by much better songs on the album.

Gotta disagree on this. For me, Distant Early Warning, The Big Money, Force Ten, and Show Don't Tell are all really good songs and rank among the top two or three tunes on their respective albums. Love Big Money as an opener.

Note that Force Ten is a hidden bonus track on Power of the Countersnake.

POWER OF THE COUNTERSNAKE

The Big Money

Workin' Them Angels

Leave That Thing Alone

Animate

Armor and Sword

Manhattan Project

Alien Shore

The Larger Bowl

Cold Fire

Emotion Detector

Congrats on combining 3 albums and making one that would probably be worse than all but one Rush album.

I do have a knack for ruining good things, but come on now. Countersnake easily obliterates Power Grab. :P

I don't like Snakes and Arrows very much, but I think it has 4 amazing songs, and not one made your record. For CP, you got 2 of the best 3 songs, but put on 2 of Rush's weakest songs to boot. On Power Windows you left off Marathon, one of the album's amazing songs, and put on Emotion Detector, again one of Rush's weakest on any album.

Of course, as all these games teach us, there are many different ways and reasons to love Rush.

Way More, certain Rush Albums have hidden Synergies to them that pair them well together. There are obvious ones like power windows with hold your fire and counterparts with test for echo, but there are hidden connections as well. I remember when CA came out I was drawing quite a few comparisons between it and A Farewell to Kings, Power Windows, and Test For Echo. Another hidden combo is Fly By Night and Signals, I find songs off those work well together too.

Note that Force Ten is a hidden bonus track on Power of the Countersnake.

Cheater!!! :)

You could have put it on the album and left off Workin' Them Angels, Armor and Sword, Alien Shore, The Larger Bowl, Cold Fire and/or Emotion Detector. If one of those were a hidden bonus track, I might appreciate them more.

Just to set the record straight. I like power windows. It came out just before my first child did. The timing was good. I was busy during the dark times. Kids grow up and here comes Vapor Trails, Clockwork Angels etc. Just in the nick of time.

Way More, certain Rush Albums have hidden Synergies to them that pair them well together. There are obvious ones like power windows with hold your fire and counterparts with test for echo, but there are hidden connections as well. I remember when CA came out I was drawing quite a few comparisons between it and A Farewell to Kings, Power Windows, and Test For Echo. Another hidden combo is Fly By Night and Signals, I find songs off those work well together too.

I'd like to see some of those combos. I was thinking of a CA and Vapor Trails Remix combo, myself.

Edited by LedRush

I was thinking of a CA and Vapor Trails Remix combo, myself.

Those two would go really well together. Rush albums have always seemed to come along in stylistic pairings. Snakes & Arrows was a bit of an aberration between VT and CA.

• Like 1

Angels and Ghosts

Caravan

Ceiling Unlimited

Ghost Rider

The Anarchist

Freeze

Clockwork Angels

Sweet Miracle

Nocturne

Out of the Cradle

Headlong Flight

It kills me to leave some of the better Clockwork Angels stuff off, but I was trying to stay with a concept and a sound, and I think this works better as an album than if I put on some better songs from CA and took off some from Vapor Trails which are merely quite good. Certain Clockwork Angels songs seem to work best (or perhaps only) in the context of that concept (like Carnies or the Wreckers). For some great songs, I felt the subject matter had already been covered well enough already.

Edited by LedRush
  • Like 1

I was thinking of a CA and Vapor Trails Remix combo, myself.

Those two would go really well together. Rush albums have always seemed to come along in stylistic pairings. Snakes & Arrows was a bit of an aberration between VT and CA.

Well, tell me how I did...and if I messed it up show me the right way!

I'd like to see some of those combos. I was thinking of a CA and Vapor Trails Remix combo, myself.

Let's see what I can come up with...

Clockwork Power: A Test of the Kings (Note there is no story, I am just pairing the tracks that flow)

Side One:

1. Xanadu

2. The Big Money

3. The Anarchist

4. Virtuality

5. The Wreckers

Side Two:

1. Territories

2. Seven Cities of Gold

3. Manhattan Project

4. Test For Echo

5. Headlong Flight

Side Three:

1. Clockwork Angels

2. Middletown Dreams

3. The Colour of Right

4. Madrigal

5. Cygnus X-1

Side Four:

1. Marathon

2. Resist

3. Wish Them Well

4. Grand Designs

5. Closer To The Heart

6. The Garden

Signaling Flight

Side One:

1. Anthem

2. The Analog Kid

3. New World Man

4. Making Memories

5. The Weapon

6. By-Tor and the Snow Dog

Side Two:

1. Subdivisions

2. Fly By Night

3. Losing it

4. In the End

Clockwork Power: A Test of the Kings (Note there is no story, I am just pairing the tracks that flow)

Side One:

1. Xanadu

2. The Big Money

3. The Anarchist

4. Virtuality

5. The Wreckers

Side Two:

1. Territories

2. Seven Cities of Gold

3. Manhattan Project

4. Test For Echo

5. Headlong Flight

Side Three:

1. Clockwork Angels

2. Middletown Dreams

3. The Colour of Right

4. Madrigal

5. Cygnus X-1

Side Four:

1. Marathon

2. Resist

3. Wish Them Well

4. Grand Designs

5. Closer To The Heart

6. The Garden

Signaling Flight

Side One:

1. Anthem

2. The Analog Kid

3. New World Man

4. Making Memories

5. The Weapon

Side Two:

1. Subdivisions

2. Fly By Night

3. Losing it

4. In the End

Very interesting...some of the songs seem to flow surprisingly well (most of your second album, T4E songs and CA songs), and some seem quite jarring (7COG between Territories and Manhattan). But thought provoking, anyway.

Angels and Ghosts

Caravan

Ceiling Unlimited

Ghost Rider

The Anarchist

Freeze

Clockwork Angels

Sweet Miracle

Nocturne

Out of the Cradle

Headlong Flight

It kills me to leave some of the better Clockwork Angels stuff off, but I was trying to stay with a concept and a sound, and I think this works better as an album than if I put on some better songs from CA and took off some from Vapor Trails which are merely quite good. Certain Clockwork Angels songs seem to work best (or perhaps only) in the context of that concept (like Carnies or the Wreckers). For some great songs, I felt the subject matter had already been covered well enough already.

I like this, especially Side 1. I'd include Earthshine, Secret Touch, and Carnies (but I understand what you're saying about Carnies and the concept).

Side One:

1. Xanadu

2. The Big Money

3. The Anarchist

4. Virtuality

5. The Wreckers

Side Two:

1. Territories

2. Seven Cities of Gold

3. Manhattan Project

4. Test For Echo

5. Headlong Flight

Side Three:

1. Clockwork Angels

2. Middletown Dreams

3. The Colour of Right

4. Madrigal

5. Cygnus X-1

Side Four:

1. Marathon

2. Resist

3. Wish Them Well

4. Grand Designs

5. Closer To The Heart

6. The Garden

Signaling Flight

Side One:

1. Anthem

2. The Analog Kid

3. New World Man

4. Making Memories

5. The Weapon

Side Two:

1. Subdivisions

2. Fly By Night

3. Losing it

4. In the End

Very interesting...some of the songs seem to flow surprisingly well (most of your second album, T4E songs and CA songs), and some seem quite jarring (7COG between Territories and Manhattan). But thought provoking, anyway.

Yeah, the biggest combo I think I have in there is between Resist and Wish Them Well, they sound similar and have a question and response style to them. As for The Territories-7 Cities-Manhattan combo, I am thinking about the endings and beginnings of the songs, territories ends with a cool bass line, 7 cities starts with one, 7 cities ends with a dissolve out sound, manhattan fades back in in kind of a snap back to reality from the previous song. I thought they were arranged nicely, but then again you don't like territories if I do recall, so that might explain it.

I actually did this quite some time ago with the albums post 1984. I won't bore you with my song listings, but the album titles I created were:

Windows on Fire

Magic Bones

Counter Echoes

I couldn't combine the two after that (VT and SnA) because they sounded too different. Plus, I always hated VT (although like most, my opinion has changed due to the new version).

Clockwork Angels can't be combined with any other album because the entire album is awesome (except for BU2B2, of course).

Clem

Angels and Ghosts

Caravan

Ceiling Unlimited

Ghost Rider

The Anarchist

Freeze

Clockwork Angels

Sweet Miracle

Nocturne

Out of the Cradle

Headlong Flight

I like this, especially Side 1. I'd include Earthshine, Secret Touch, and Carnies (but I understand what you're saying about Carnies and the concept).

I really wanted Secret Touch in there, but the message was already covered by other songs. I thought about replacing Nocturne with Secret Touch, but from a concept point I thought Secret Touch needed to be earlier in the album, and I like my side one as it was (even though I like Secret Touch as a song slightly more than Freeze).

Side One:

1. Xanadu

2. The Big Money

3. The Anarchist

4. Virtuality

5. The Wreckers

Side Two:

1. Territories

2. Seven Cities of Gold

3. Manhattan Project

4. Test For Echo

5. Headlong Flight

Side Three:

1. Clockwork Angels

2. Middletown Dreams

3. The Colour of Right

4. Madrigal

5. Cygnus X-1

Side Four:

1. Marathon

2. Resist

3. Wish Them Well

4. Grand Designs

5. Closer To The Heart

6. The Garden

Signaling Flight

Side One:

1. Anthem

2. The Analog Kid

3. New World Man

4. Making Memories

5. The Weapon

Side Two:

1. Subdivisions

2. Fly By Night

3. Losing it

4. In the End

Yeah, the biggest combo I think I have in there is between Resist and Wish Them Well, they sound similar and have a question and response style to them. As for The Territories-7 Cities-Manhattan combo, I am thinking about the endings and beginnings of the songs, territories ends with a cool bass line, 7 cities starts with one, 7 cities ends with a dissolve out sound, manhattan fades back in in kind of a snap back to reality from the previous song. I thought they were arranged nicely, but then again you don't like territories if I do recall, so that might explain it.

It's true that I don't like Territories, and actually think it's probably among their bottom 5-10 songs, but I was talking about the nasty, messy loud power of 7COG contrasted with the much more melodic and subtle Manhattan Project and the more open and space filled Territories. I get the ends/beginnings and it actually makes a lot more sense to me.

Side One:

1. Xanadu

2. The Big Money

3. The Anarchist

4. Virtuality

5. The Wreckers

Side Two:

1. Territories

2. Seven Cities of Gold

3. Manhattan Project

4. Test For Echo

5. Headlong Flight

Side Three:

1. Clockwork Angels

2. Middletown Dreams

3. The Colour of Right

4. Madrigal

5. Cygnus X-1

Side Four:

1. Marathon

2. Resist

3. Wish Them Well

4. Grand Designs

5. Closer To The Heart

6. The Garden

Signaling Flight

Side One:

1. Anthem

2. The Analog Kid

3. New World Man

4. Making Memories

5. The Weapon

Side Two:

1. Subdivisions

2. Fly By Night

3. Losing it

4. In the End

It's true that I don't like Territories, and actually think it's probably among their bottom 5-10 songs, but I was talking about the nasty, messy loud power of 7COG contrasted with the much more melodic and subtle Manhattan Project and the more open and space filled Territories. I get the ends/beginnings and it actually makes a lot more sense to me.

Well I personally love Territories softer opening before ripping into the meat of the song (it's around the 30 spot for me) again more difference of opinion.

• Like 1

Power Grab

Side 1

Force Ten

Marathon

Grand Designs

Open Secrets

Manhattan Project

Side 2

The Big Money

Prime Mover

Turn The Page

Mission

Time Stand Still

I love the the Name of the Album. Yet you hate The Big Money but you start the second side with it? I guess you don't hate it that much. :laughing guy: You should change Marathon's position. Its more of a closer.

Counter Vapors:

1. One Little Victory

2. Stick it Out

3. Cut to the Chase

4. Ghost Rider

5. Earth Shine

6. Alien Shore

7. Cold Fire

8. Animate

9. Ceiling Unlimted

10. Vapor Trails

11. Double Agent

12. Secret Touch

:codger:

• Like 1

POWER OF THE COUNTERSNAKE

The Big Money

Workin' Them Angels

Leave That Thing Alone

Animate

Armor and Sword

Manhattan Project

Alien Shore

The Larger Bowl

Cold Fire

Emotion Detector

Congrats on combining 3 albums and making one that would probably be worse than all but one Rush album.

I do have a knack for ruining good things, but come on now. Countersnake easily obliterates Power Grab. :P

Emotion Detector should never close an album....Never! It shouldn't even been there! :P

Power Grab

Side 1

Force Ten

Marathon

Grand Designs

Open Secrets

Manhattan Project

Side 2

The Big Money

Prime Mover

Turn The Page

Mission

Time Stand Still

I love the the Name of the Album. Yet you hate The Big Money but you start the second side with it? I guess you don't hate it that much. :laughing guy: You should change Marathon's position. Its more of a closer.

Why do you think I hate the big money? I said I think it is a very good song.

Counter Vapors:

1. One Little Victory

2. Stick it Out

3. Cut to the Chase

4. Ghost Rider

5. Earth Shine

6. Alien Shore

7. Cold Fire

8. Animate

9. Ceiling Unlimted

10. Vapor Trails

11. Double Agent

12. Secret Touch

:codger:

Great. Just get rid of OLV and bump Animate up to the top.

Pop Rocks

1. Neurotica

2. Heresy

3. The Big Wheel

4. You Bet Your Life

5. Face Up

6. Spectacular Mediocrity (drum solo)

7. Virtuality

8. The Color of Right

9. Carve Away the Stone

10. Half the World

11. Dog Years

Wow, I thought Cyclonus X-1 had a rough go, but you've combined two albums to make one album that is actually weaker than both of your originals. But from the title of the drum solo, this may have been your intent.

I added the drum solo for fear of being taken seriously.

Some of the songs on those two albums differ a bit too much stylistically to be mingled, but if forced to do it:

1. Dreamline

2. Roll the Bones

3. Resist

4. Time and Motion

5. Where's My Thing

6. Test for Echo

7. Bravado

8. Driven

9. Totem

10. Ghost of a Chance

That's the best I can do. I don't have a lot to work with since I'm dealing with RTB and T4E. ;) :P