Vapor Trails Remixed - The treeduck verdict - white candles and runes to ward off rushgoober at the ready

treeduck

Nice job Duckster ol chap! Need to pick up a copy asap! but this thread is waiting for Goober to show up and make it legendary!

The runes are working so far! http://forums.shakiramedia.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/exorcist.gif

• Like 1

Nice review, treeduck. I don't know that I agree with you, but I think you did an excellent job of explaining what you liked and why. Very well done. :ebert:

For me, I find the VT remix lacking. Certainly, the clarity of the songs is more defined in the remix, but to me ear, I find I do not care the tone of Geddy's bass and vocals. I find them brittle with no warmth at all. I think it is a very well mixed album, technically speaking, but I feel like the emotional impact has been diminished. And, the bass doesn't slam me against the wall like in the original. :haz: To me, Geddy's voice sounds more sterile in the re-mix. I notice it particularly on the title track. I've always heard the band crying in that song (my favourite on the album) but I find that quality missing in the re-mix.

I understand and respect critics of the original album and also those who love the re-mix, but I find I prefer the original because I think the raw edginess to the mix makes the emotional impact of the album stronger. I have been playing the original mix for the last week and am reminded of how much I love that album. VT original is a top 5 Rush album to me and has been since it came out. The re-mix ranks lower to me.

So you'll carry on using the 2002 original edition then? :hail:

:yes: I'm happy to keep it as my primary VT. I'm so contrary. :coy:

You can't tell yourself how to care, you can't tell yourself how to feel

That's how it is...

:cheers:

:smoke:

Nice review, treeduck. I don't know that I agree with you, but I think you did an excellent job of explaining what you liked and why. Very well done. :ebert:

For me, I find the VT remix lacking. Certainly, the clarity of the songs is more defined in the remix, but to me ear, I find I do not care the tone of Geddy's bass and vocals. I find them brittle with no warmth at all. I think it is a very well mixed album, technically speaking, but I feel like the emotional impact has been diminished. And, the bass doesn't slam me against the wall like in the original. :haz: To me, Geddy's voice sounds more sterile in the re-mix. I notice it particularly on the title track. I've always heard the band crying in that song (my favourite on the album) but I find that quality missing in the re-mix.

I understand and respect critics of the original album and also those who love the re-mix, but I find I prefer the original because I think the raw edginess to the mix makes the emotional impact of the album stronger. I have been playing the original mix for the last week and am reminded of how much I love that album. VT original is a top 5 Rush album to me and has been since it came out. The re-mix ranks lower to me.

I felt this way largly for the 1st couple of listens...I have remixed my opinion a bit. I am really liking this mix a lot

• Like 1

Nice job Duckster ol chap! Need to pick up a copy asap! but this thread is waiting for Goober to show up and make it legendary!

The runes are working so far! http://forums.shakiramedia.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/exorcist.gif

I'm chanting and whistling to supplement your runes. The melodies of VT, of course. http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-angelic006.gif

• Like 1

I'm chanting and whistling to supplement your runes. The melodies of VT, of course. http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-angelic006.gif

:LOL:

:givebeer:

• Like 1

I honestly love this album. Quite frankly, the second Vapor Trails Remixed goes on my iPod (shoulda been my first move, but still), Vapor Trails ceases to exist. Ceiling Unlimited sounds LEGEND (wait for it) DARY with an added solo. With the new album, I can honestly ENJOY more than Earthshine, One Little Victory, Ghost Rider and Secret Touch (you know, the VT tracks on Rush in Rio).

I love CU, Peaceable Kingdom, Stars Look Down, Vapor Trail, Sweet Miracle, Nocturne, Freeze and Out of the Cradle now. This was the greatest purchase I received in the last month (ending today), and I also got the new Alter Bridge album and Megadeth's Countdown to Extinction Live.

• Like 1

I'd been waiting like Christmas for your opinion, Duck, and then I end up almost missing it!!

Great review, I love the remix and am enjoying it every day. VT is a great album indeed. Always has been.

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

:hail:

Great review! This is my favourite part of the whole thing:

Sweet Miracle = This sounds ballsier in the riff department at the beginning and after each verse, but those guitars don't fight the vocals like before. The "middle eight" with Geddy scatting like an opera singer gone to the jazz side is much clearer and melodic.

Great review, echoes my sentiments almost to a T. Still deciding what song's have lost their 'impact' with me, a few more listens perhaps.

Fantastic mix though. With each listen comes a new treasure in an added solo, 'hidden' background vocals, lyrics I can now comprehend without reading a lyric sheet etc.

Let's hope some more VT gems make the next set list.

Edited by Ranger J
  • Like 1

Treeduck....I'm a new guy here and I want you to know I've just become a big fan of your use of 'Geddy Gang' to describe the vox LOL. Awesome. Not sure if that term was already part of the Rush Forum vernacular but since I saw you use it first, I must tip my hat :)

This was an excellent overview of the remix, thanks for your effort in this!

I originally cottoned to Vapor Trails immediately when it was released. I liked almost all of the songs very much, and I fought through the sludge (and pissed and moaned about it to anyone in earshot) for the sake of the great songs.

It was also never lost on me how much Neil exposed his feelings on this and how difficult it is for someone like him to put this out there. Ged and Alex very strongly reinforced all these pointed and emotionally charged lyrics with unusually powerful music. This album is very organic for a later Rush album.

I did a lot of comparisons between the Remix and the original and it's safe to say that the original is going to be relegated to the archives. It's still a keeper for it's rawness, but that distortion....no. The Remix is all I will listen to from now on.

To end this post, I think Neil was extremely successful with getting his emotions across on this album since he chose to stay out of the Remix project. VT is unique in the Rush calalog for being so raw and fueled by both tradgedy and triumph.

Edited by Lieutenant Dan
  • Like 7

Treeduck....I'm a new guy here and I want you to know I've just become a big fan of your use of 'Geddy Gang' to describe the vox LOL. Awesome. Not sure if that term was already part of the Rush Forum vernacular but since I saw you use it first, I must tip my hat :)

This was an excellent overview of the remix, thanks for your effort in this!

I originally cottoned to Vapor Trails immediately when it was released. I liked almost all of the songs very much, and I fought through the sludge (and pissed and moaned about it to anyone in earshot) for the sake of the great songs.

It was also never lost on me how much Neil exposed his feelings on this and how difficult it is for someone like him to put this out there. Ged and Alex very strongly reinforced all these pointed and emotionally charged lyrics with unusually powerful music. This album is very organic for a later Rush album.

I did a lot of comparisons between the Remix and the original and it's safe to say that the original is going to be relegated to the archives. It's still a keeper for it's rawness, but that distortion....no. The Remix is all I will listen to from now on.

To end this post, I think Neil was extremely successful with getting his emotions across on this album since he chose to stay out of the Remix project. VT is unique in the Rush calalog for being so raw and fueled by both tradgedy and triumph.

:goodone:

• Like 1

Nice thoughts, and welcome to TRF! :7up:

• Like 1

Nice thoughts, and welcome to TRF! :7up:

Aye! :cosmo:

• Like 1