Dream Theater Reveal New Album Artwork

Gompers

Also worth noting: their upcoming tour, named "Along for the ride", will have concerts on the "Evening with" format - 3 hours every night, with intermissions and hopefully setlist changes every night!

That doesn't seem like a very good name for a tour, as though one or more of´t good enough to them are just going through the motions. It sounds like something Myung might come up with.

T-d, my English skills aren´t good enough to notice subtleties like that - can you ellaborate?

I really hope the new album is like a fresh start to them. It seems that ADTOE was released to prove a point: "we CAN survive without MP and make relevant music". Now it´s the start of a new era, where they have Mangini writing with them from day one, and where things are a bit less uncertain in the band.

"Along for the ride" is a saying that means participating but not in an active way, like a passenger, as in "don't ask me what's happening, I'm just along for the ride". A little like John Myung appears to be...

Myung was much more involved in the writing of ADTOE and he's written lyrics (and presumably music) for the new one too. He seems to be into the live shows now too. My first and only DT show was in October 2011 and he seemed much more relaxed and comfortable playing on stage. I can only compare that show to videos but he wasn't like a robot like he had been in the past.

Thanks, T-D. I thought it meant more along the lines of the band including the fans and saying "come along with us for the ride".

Speaking of Myung, he used to headbang like there was no tomorrow during the WDADU - Awake era, and went progressively into autism mode on stage. Now he´s much better, you can actually tell it´s a person playing bass, not a robot. Recently I saw some footage of the Black Clouds & Silver Linings recording sessions and with the risk of taking everything out of context, I´d say the video sums up quite well what was wrong with the band, and what led to Portnoy leaving it: Myung completely detached, everyone burned out in the studio, Portnoy joking around like a douche and upsetting even Petrucci at times. Have a look:

Portnoy was great but him leaving may have been the best thing that ever happened to the band.

I HATE to admit it - Portnoy leaving was like a mold being broken in slow motion right before my eyes - but SO TRUE, ColdfireYYZ...they´re in a much better place right now. I have a great feeling about the new album.
  • Like 1

Also worth noting: their upcoming tour, named "Along for the ride", will have concerts on the "Evening with" format - 3 hours every night, with intermissions and hopefully setlist changes every night!

That doesn't seem like a very good name for a tour, as though one or more of´t good enough to them are just going through the motions. It sounds like something Myung might come up with.

T-d, my English skills aren´t good enough to notice subtleties like that - can you ellaborate?

I really hope the new album is like a fresh start to them. It seems that ADTOE was released to prove a point: "we CAN survive without MP and make relevant music". Now it´s the start of a new era, where they have Mangini writing with them from day one, and where things are a bit less uncertain in the band.

"Along for the ride" is a saying that means participating but not in an active way, like a passenger, as in "don't ask me what's happening, I'm just along for the ride". A little like John Myung appears to be...

Myung was much more involved in the writing of ADTOE and he's written lyrics (and presumably music) for the new one too. He seems to be into the live shows now too. My first and only DT show was in October 2011 and he seemed much more relaxed and comfortable playing on stage. I can only compare that show to videos but he wasn't like a robot like he had been in the past.

Thanks, T-D. I thought it meant more along the lines of the band including the fans and saying "come along with us for the ride".

Speaking of Myung, he used to headbang like there was no tomorrow during the WDADU - Awake era, and went progressively into autism mode on stage. Now he´s much better, you can actually tell it´s a person playing bass, not a robot. Recently I saw some footage of the Black Clouds & Silver Linings recording sessions and with the risk of taking everything out of context, I´d say the video sums up quite well what was wrong with the band, and what led to Portnoy leaving it: Myung completely detached, everyone burned out in the studio, Portnoy joking around like a douche and upsetting even Petrucci at times. Have a look:

Portnoy was great but him leaving may have been the best thing that ever happened to the band.

I'm pretty sure the best thing that ever happened to the band was the recording of images and words and awake

I'm pretty sure the best thing that ever happened to the band was the recording of images and words and awake

And I'm sure the band thinks the second best thing that ever happened to them was hiring Jordan Rudess and recording Scenes From A Memory

• Like 1