Going to see Rush tonight

andreww

So I first got in to rush in about 1975 or so when I discovered All the Worlds a Stage. From that point in my life my musical world revolved around the band. Being from Toronto I had plenty of opportunities to see them, and I took every opportunity to do so. I saw every tour from Kings to Signals, many times seeing multiple shows. Then life kind of got in the way, marriage, house, kids, bills, etc. and I drifted away from the band.

Well tonight will be a reunion so to speak when I see them in Hamilton (no Toronto date on the tour thus far). Not being familiar with any material written after the mid 90s, am I going to be disappointed?

There were two Toronto dates on the first leg of the tour last year. As for you being disappointed with the setlist, that's possible. You see Geddy can't hit those high notes like he did back in the 70s, so most of the material from that time doesn't get played anymore and hasn't for a few decades now. The guys still play great and put on a hell of a show and they tend to do songs that Geddy's voice can still do. Geddy is still a good singer but like I said, he stays away from the higher range stuff now.

The second half of the set starts with all new stuff. They play just about the whole album which lasts about an hour before they go back into the old songs again. So, if you aren't familiar with the new album you may get a little bored hearing so many songs you're not familiar with live. Good news is their new album, Clockwork Angels is as good as anything they've put out so at least you'll be discovering some great new music from the band tonight.

I'll be making the trip from Buffalo to see the show tonight and it will be great and Rush will deliver as only they can. Overall, there's no doubt you'll enjoy most of the show even though you've been estranged from the band for so long. That's just how good they are live.

The current tour is heavy on the 80's, and there is very little material, other than the new album, that was recorded after 1989.

So I wouldn't say you would be disappointed. They're playing a lot of classic 80's material this time around.

What a great show! Was it as good as my last, or any previous experiences with the band? No. But the band was really tight, the lighting and special effects were phenomenal, and the crowd was really in to it. The song selection was okay (I knew every song but for a couple of CA tracks) was okay, but I felt they could have thrown in a couple of tunes from the first three albums to please us old-timers. The Clockwork Angles section of the show was simply too long. I know some of you guys will defend that part of the show, but I was bored and for the most part the audience was sitting on their hands for that segment. Even the band seems to realize this as it was very obvious that the lights and special effects were turned up a notch or two during thats part of the show. Almost like they thought that "we can bore them with the music if we can keep them entertained with lights & pyro". But whatever, they played for about 3hrs, they can play what they like!. I wasn't really impressed with Alex's selection of guitars for this tour. The white ES355 being the only exception. The black les paul custom, what seems to be his main guitar now, isn't exactly a pretty guitar. He also used a brown flamed Les Paul and a gold top. Nice guitars but I preferred the sunbursts he was using on previous tours. The black custom is just too hard to see against his all black outfit. And, I would prefer Alex to use real acoustic guitars rather than emulators. I always thought those times when he switched between acoustic and electrics were exciting parts of the show. With the lack of 70s tunes, Alex's ripping guitar solos were a lot fewer than they used to be.

But nonetheless, it was an awesome show and it was so glad to see the guys on stage again!

I don't think they added more special effects to the new songs to cure some people's boredom. They added it because that was the main part of the show and the special effects added to the performance as a whole. I agree that it could get boring for people who aren't familiar with the new album to sit through an hour of new songs. But this album is the best thing Rush has done in many years and they are very proud of it and they want everyone to know that they are still making great new music that they are passionate about and have the upmost confidence in performing.

Glad you enjoyed the show after being away for so long. I hope this show will help you in rediscovering your love for Rush.

• Like 1

Have you checked out the DVD's they have been releasing for each tour since 2002? If not, you might wanna put down the money on them to hear some 70's tunes being played and many other gems throughout the years!! Edited by BloodofTheZodiac