Battle of Gettysburg 1863

PumpkinHead

http://youtu.be/cmTu3P45dZk

July 1 thru 3, 2013 is the 150th anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg.

If you can only visit one American Civil War battlefield in your lifetime, I would encourage that battlefield to be Gettysburg.

If you have visited this venue in the past, I would encourage you to visit this battlefield again (new visitor center built in 2008 is awesome).

Enjoy history,

Bill

• Like 1

I went to Gettysburg in the summer of 2011. It was the middle of August and hot as hell, but it was well worth the trip. I'm actually going back this Friday for a music festival, but I want to spend some more time walking around the battlefield if possible. Last time the tour didn't let us actually go to Devil's Den, but we saw it from Little Round Top. I'm hoping that I'll be able to get to it this time without a tour group.

Studying the Civil War is a life long obsession for me( member of the Sons Of Confederate Veterans, great grandfather fought with the 45th Virginia infantry.) Been to Gettysburg numerous times, I'm fascinated going off the beaten path when visiting Gettysburg lesser known sites like the battle of the brick yard in town or the East Cavalry battlefield three miles east of Gettysburg. As of now I'm just finishing my Chancellorsville studies 150th anniversary of that important battle. And will began shortly with the Gettysburg campaign. Would love to visit there this year.

Well done PumpkinHead, when me and a friend of mine visited the Chancellorsville/ Wilderness battlefields in the early 90's, the area surrounding was" not as yet "approached upon by urban sprawl.( apartment complex's, Walmart etc) Same with the Antietam battlefield in Maryland, Perryville battlefield in Kentucky. You can get a better sense of what happened there by the lack of development the lay of the land being mostly unchanged since the time of the Civil War....

I know that the Salem Church area part of the Chancellorsville campaign is a just a small plot of land with a shopping plaza across the street when we were there..

We have been to Gettysburg twice and it was a great trip both times. We've been trying to get back there with the kids for years, but we've had too many other obligations during times we'd prefer to go.

We purchased the Auto Tour on CD and did that during one trip...was great!

Visited Gettysburg in the early 80's (81 or 82, I forget which) and it was a very moving experience. Most have been mid to late July. I remember being up on Little Round Top and hearing some lady with a real souther drawl say to the bunch of kids that were with her "Kids, if Stonewall Jackson had been here we would have won this one." Got me thinking "We" - WTF??? Almost 120 years, 2 World Wars, the Cold War and it's still "we". She might very well have been right but still - WTF?? Sort of sad.

Still, enjoyed the entire day I spent there with my dad. We just walked and walked and walked and walked and....

Definitely a place to go back to someday - and a place I would recommend to others.

I remember being up on Little Round Top and hearing some lady with a real souther drawl say to the bunch of kids that were with her "Kids, if Stonewall Jackson had been here we would have won this one." Got me thinking "We" - WTF??? Almost 120 years, 2 World Wars, the Cold War and it's still "we". She might very well have been right but still - WTF?? Sort of sad.

Firstly, the South is still extremely proud of their Confederate generals.

Robert E. Lee, James Longstreet, Nathan Bedford Forrest, JEB Stuart and Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson.

I have read many books on the speculation on "if" Jackson was not mortally wounded by friendly fire at Chancellorsville.

In my opinion, "if" Jackson was alive and well at the Battle of Gettysburg, Lee would have been persuaded not to fight on July 3, 1863.

Longstreet tried like the Devil to convince Lee to stop after day two of the battle.....

But Longstreet and Jackson together, I believe Lee would have been persuaded.

My opinion......

• Like 1

Also, since the majority of the battles were fought on southern soil and the devastation that followed, there's still a scar and connection to the Civil War psychologically that has effected generations of southerns that can be misunderstood and hard to explain for the rest of the country.