80s Charvel super strat? Holdsworth shows you what to do with one

treeduck

Here's what Anthony says in the comments section:

"The beauty of playing with Allan is that he lets me approach his music the way I hear it. He lets me apply my on approach on his music and he does not expect for me to play like no one else but my self. Thats what Tony Williams did for him when know one knew who Allan Holdsworth was back in the 70s. So Allan is giving back, by letting other unknown talent express themselves within his music as well. Thats why Allan is always evolving. He is always open to new ideas."

I've never listened to him before, but I love his tone; reminds me much of Eric Johnson :guitar:

Cool! Glad you're enjoying his playing.

Eric Johnson is a Holdsworth fan actually, here's a quote:

Allan's beautiful and unique chord voicings have always had an impact on me. His approach to guitar is one of a kind. He pushes the limits of the boundaries of electric guitar, and his lead phrasing would make Charlie Parker smile. His playing is essential listening for any guitarist, of any style, so they can see that the only limits we have are the ones we put on ourselves.

~ Eric Johnson

:sundog:

• Like 1

You don't often see that, Holdsworth in Rolling Stone magazine:

I didn't know about this, I need to catch up on my Holdsworth stuff...

http://rollingstoneindia.com/the-virgil-donati-band-featuring-allan-holdsworth-to-play-mumbai-in-november/

Mumbai jazz fans rejoice! The legendary Allan Holdsworth is finally coming to Bombay as part of the Virgil Donati Band’s performance on the 3rd of November. The concert, promoted by acclaimed film composer and jazz supporter Sandeep Chowta, will happen at St. Andrew’s Auditorium, Bandra and is part of Chowta’s long-term project called The Producers Concert And Album Series.

Allan Holdsworth is widely regarded by fans and contemporary musicians as one of the 20th century’s most prominent guitarists. An inductee of Guitar Player Magazine’s Hall of Fame, Holdsworth is a five-time winner in their readers’ poll. The band is led by drummer Virgil Donati and also includes bassist Anthony Crawford and pianist Austin Peralta.

http://rollingstoneindia.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/323998_10150500796294325_517384324_11241954_341178338_o-480x685.jpg

I've never listened to him before, but I love his tone; reminds me much of Eric Johnson :guitar:

Allan's beautiful and unique chord voicings have always had an impact on me. His approach to guitar is one of a kind. He pushes the limits of the boundaries of electric guitar, and his lead phrasing would make Charlie Parker smile. His playing is essential listening for any guitarist, of any style, so they can see that the only limits we have are the ones we put on ourselves.

~ Eric Johnson

That's a great quote, I can hear the influence! :guitar:

~ Eric Johnson

That's a great quote, I can hear the influence! :guitar:

:cheers: :NP: :smoke:

Here is Holdsworth in Northern Cali with Jimmy Haslip, Alan Pasqua and Chad Wackerman, the whole gig at Yoshi's...

setlist:

1. The Fifth 0:00:00

2. Looking Glass 0:08:29

3. Fred 0:16:20

4. It Must Be Jazz 0:25:05

5. Blues For Tony 0:34:47

6. San Michele 0:43:34

7. Pud Wud 0:57:04

8. Proto Cosmos 1:10:11

9. Red Alert 1:15:33

Holdsworth maniacs need to see this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnyKYDy6O8Y

Very cool Duck—awesome!!! Sharing is caring!

Aye!

:smoke: :guitar:

I enjoy watching his virtuosity and technical prowess, but his songs lack a sense of musicality (if that makes sense to anyone)

Holdsworth's music is very complex and advanced in harmonic language, not everyone can get into it, it can fly right over your head.

Guess that's why he plays to such small crowds—it's over most people's heads

Holdsworth maniacs need to see this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnyKYDy6O8Y

Very cool Duck—awesome!!! Sharing is caring!

Aye!

:smoke: :guitar:

I enjoy watching his virtuosity and technical prowess, but his songs lack a sense of musicality (if that makes sense to anyone)

Holdsworth's music is very complex and advanced in harmonic language, not everyone can get into it, it can fly right over your head.

Guess that's why he plays to such small crowds—it's over most people's heads

Not many jazz groups play to 10,000 people. Pat Metheny may be the exception, maybe Chick Corea. I've seen both but the crowd was only around 3000-5000.

:notworthy: cheers for this thread on the great man. for an album he hates so much, velvet darkness is a great piece of music for me. Allan is superb

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YMo_BGXTiY

Holdsworth hates that album because he had nothing to do with it's release and yet it's under his name. It's just an unfinished set of demos and song ideas really and was abandoned as a project after Holdsy decided it wasn't working out. Someone released it anyway without Allan's consent.

Edited by treeduck
  • Like 1

True, never made a penny from it. My understanding is, the understanding he had, was the band pieces were just practice demos - not to be released.

There are some mean pieces on there, especially the acoustic stuff, raw amazing sweeps...beautiful. He's one of a kind genius alright.

True, never made a penny from it. My understanding is, the understanding he had, was the band pieces were just practice demos - not to be released.

There are some mean pieces on there, especially the acoustic stuff, raw amazing sweeps...beautiful. He's one of a kind genius alright.

Yeah there's good stuff on there. Allan is a perfectionist though, probably one of the reasons why he hasn't released a new studio album since about 2000.

Here's a couple of fairly recent (2010/2011) cool interviews with AH:

http://www.namm.org/library/oral-history/allan-holdsworth

And:

Fusion, rock and something else By DAVID BRINNLAST UPDATED: 11/10/2010 22:40

Eddie Van Halen has said that Allan Holdsworth is the best guitarist around. Next week, the progressive rock/jazz fusion beacon will strut his stuff at Tel Aviv’s Reading 3.

Allan Holdsworth Photo: Courtesy So much for the glamorous life of a touring musician, even one as highly acclaimed as Allan Holdsworth.

The 64-year-old British guitarist and composer is holed up in a hotel in Bratislava, Slovakia after a seven-hour drive and a multi-hour delay at the border crossing ahead of his show there that night.

“I can’t do this anymore man, I’m too old,” the soft-spoken Holdsworth said.

“The tour arranger we’re working with now is generally pretty good about travel.

We used to work with a promoter in Italy who used to book for shows with nine hour drives in between, so we got a new promoter. But now, this one’s slipping right into the same pattern. I hope I get some rest in Israel.”

Holdsworth was referring to his band’s upcoming show in Tel Aviv on Sunday night at Reading 3, his first visit back to the country since appearing over a decade ago at the Red Sea Jazz Festival. One of the unsung guitar heroes in the world of rock and jazz, Holdsworth has enjoyed an illustrious career, performing with ‘70s progressive rock pioneers Soft Machine and Gong, fusion great Tony Williams’ Lifetime, and arena jazz/prog/rockers UK, as well as recording with Jean-Luc Ponty, Jack Bruce and Bill Bruford before launching an eclectic solo career in the late 1970s.

The albums came fast and furious in the 1980 and ‘90s, with Holdsworth perennially being named on the ‘top guitarist’ lists. But since 2000’s The Sixteen Men of Tain, new albums have given away to incessant touring and regular session work, both necessities brought on by a nasty divorce that he says left him nearly destitute.

“I lost my house and my studio – it was a typical disaster,” he said of the divorce ten years ago.

“It took me 10 years to get back on my feet.

I bounced around for a long time sleeping on friends’ couches. Since I didn’t have a studio, the only way I could earn any money was by playing on other people’s records or by being on the road, so I could never finish any of the records I’ve started.”

Claiming he has enough material for two new records, Holdsworth said that he plans to take six months after the Tel Aviv show to finally get into the studio with his band, including long time drummer Chad Wackerman, who began playing with Holdsworth on his 1983 solo EP Road Games. That album was made after Eddie Van Halen heard Holdsworth and raved about him to his label Warner Brothers, who then signed him to a contract.

However, the Grammy-nominated EP proved to be a bone of contention between the freewheeling Holdsworth and the hit-hungry record company and Van Halen producer Ted Templeman. And today, he looks back at the record as the nadir of his career.

“I see it as one of the worst records I ever made, I don’t like anything about it,” he said, while defending Van Halen to the hilt. “He’s a fantastic guy, lovely, very generous Anything that went wrong was nothing to do with him, he was just trying to help.”

“On the one hand, it was Warner Brothers trying to mold me into something I’m not, but on the other hand, it was sonically awful. I had a run in with Ted Templeman, who was never around but still dictating to everyone what was going to be on it, where it was going to be recorded, how it was going to sound. And he made it an EP – there were only six songs on it and they sounded like shit. It was just screwed.”

BUT IT did provide the setting for Holdsworth first connection with Wackerman, who has remained the one constant in his life ever since.

“I was trying to find a drummer and I crossed paths with Frank Zappa who told me, ‘oh, you should check out this guy.’ So when I held some auditions, I invited Chad. We just improvised, just me and the drummer, we didn’t play any songs at all.

I know that people can learn to play certain music, you can learn anything, but I wanted a guy I could feel comfortable playing with. And with Chad, it was like, ok, you can stay. Even today, there’s always surprises when we play together, which is great.”

That need for surprise and improvisation led to Holdsworth’s short stint with UK, the late-1970s progressive supergroup featuring Yes’s Bruford, ex-King Crimson John Wetton and ex-Roxy Music Eddie Jobson. Holdsworth was brought in by his mate Bruford, after the guitarist appeared on the drummer’s solo album in 1977.

“I really enjoyed making the record with them, and I really liked all the guys,” he said. “But John and Eddie wanted our live shows to be regimented, the same song list and same solos every night. I just said ‘no! I don’t even know what I played on the record, how can I recreate it?’ It became a little tense, but it was alright, they were all good guys and we decided it would be better if I split.”

Holdsworth’s love of freestyle playing derived in part from his days working with jazz legend Williams, whom he says taught the then-young guitarist a valuable lesson.

“He never told me what to do. He would kind of leave me on my own to figure it out. He’d say, ‘this is the tune, this is the piece of music’ and that’s it. He wouldn’t say play it this way or that way,” said Holdsworth.

“You can dangle in your own rope that way, but I learned that from him and survived.

And when I started working with other musicians as a band leader, I would choose someone whose playing I liked and I would never tell them what to do. They interpret that in different ways, and sometimes it comes out like you want it and sometimes it doesn’t.”

That uncertainty and the edginess it brings with it is good enough reason for Holdsworth to brave the seven-hour drives and the flights to Israel. And it’s also a good reason to check out one of the guitar greats of the last 40 years.

http://www.jpost.com/ArtsAndCulture/Music/Article.aspx?id=194800

• Like 1

http://www.namm.org/...llan-holdsworth

And:

Eddie Van Halen has said that Allan Holdsworth is the best guitarist around. Next week, the progressive rock/jazz fusion beacon will strut his stuff at Tel Aviv’s Reading 3.

Allan Holdsworth Photo: Courtesy So much for the glamorous life of a touring musician, even one as highly acclaimed as Allan Holdsworth.

The 64-year-old British guitarist and composer is holed up in a hotel in Bratislava, Slovakia after a seven-hour drive and a multi-hour delay at the border crossing ahead of his show there that night.

“The tour arranger we’re working with now is generally pretty good about travel.

We used to work with a promoter in Italy who used to book for shows with nine hour drives in between, so we got a new promoter. But now, this one’s slipping right into the same pattern. I hope I get some rest in Israel.”

Holdsworth was referring to his band’s upcoming show in Tel Aviv on Sunday night at Reading 3, his first visit back to the country since appearing over a decade ago at the Red Sea Jazz Festival. One of the unsung guitar heroes in the world of rock and jazz, Holdsworth has enjoyed an illustrious career, performing with ‘70s progressive rock pioneers Soft Machine and Gong, fusion great Tony Williams’ Lifetime, and arena jazz/prog/rockers UK, as well as recording with Jean-Luc Ponty, Jack Bruce and Bill Bruford before launching an eclectic solo career in the late 1970s.

The albums came fast and furious in the 1980 and ‘90s, with Holdsworth perennially being named on the ‘top guitarist’ lists. But since 2000’s The Sixteen Men of Tain, new albums have given away to incessant touring and regular session work, both necessities brought on by a nasty divorce that he says left him nearly destitute.

“I lost my house and my studio – it was a typical disaster,” he said of the divorce ten years ago.

I bounced around for a long time sleeping on friends’ couches. Since I didn’t have a studio, the only way I could earn any money was by playing on other people’s records or by being on the road, so I could never finish any of the records I’ve started.”

Claiming he has enough material for two new records, Holdsworth said that he plans to take six months after the Tel Aviv show to finally get into the studio with his band, including long time drummer Chad Wackerman, who began playing with Holdsworth on his 1983 solo EP Road Games. That album was made after Eddie Van Halen heard Holdsworth and raved about him to his label Warner Brothers, who then signed him to a contract.

However, the Grammy-nominated EP proved to be a bone of contention between the freewheeling Holdsworth and the hit-hungry record company and Van Halen producer Ted Templeman. And today, he looks back at the record as the nadir of his career.

“I see it as one of the worst records I ever made, I don’t like anything about it,” he said, while defending Van Halen to the hilt. “He’s a fantastic guy, lovely, very generous Anything that went wrong was nothing to do with him, he was just trying to help.”

“On the one hand, it was Warner Brothers trying to mold me into something I’m not, but on the other hand, it was sonically awful. I had a run in with Ted Templeman, who was never around but still dictating to everyone what was going to be on it, where it was going to be recorded, how it was going to sound. And he made it an EP – there were only six songs on it and they sounded like shit. It was just screwed.”

BUT IT did provide the setting for Holdsworth first connection with Wackerman, who has remained the one constant in his life ever since.

“I was trying to find a drummer and I crossed paths with Frank Zappa who told me, ‘oh, you should check out this guy.’ So when I held some auditions, I invited Chad. We just improvised, just me and the drummer, we didn’t play any songs at all.

I know that people can learn to play certain music, you can learn anything, but I wanted a guy I could feel comfortable playing with. And with Chad, it was like, ok, you can stay. Even today, there’s always surprises when we play together, which is great.”

That need for surprise and improvisation led to Holdsworth’s short stint with UK, the late-1970s progressive supergroup featuring Yes’s Bruford, ex-King Crimson John Wetton and ex-Roxy Music Eddie Jobson. Holdsworth was brought in by his mate Bruford, after the guitarist appeared on the drummer’s solo album in 1977.

“I really enjoyed making the record with them, and I really liked all the guys,” he said. “But John and Eddie wanted our live shows to be regimented, the same song list and same solos every night. I just said ‘no! I don’t even know what I played on the record, how can I recreate it?’ It became a little tense, but it was alright, they were all good guys and we decided it would be better if I split.”

Holdsworth’s love of freestyle playing derived in part from his days working with jazz legend Williams, whom he says taught the then-young guitarist a valuable lesson.

“He never told me what to do. He would kind of leave me on my own to figure it out. He’d say, ‘this is the tune, this is the piece of music’ and that’s it. He wouldn’t say play it this way or that way,” said Holdsworth.

“You can dangle in your own rope that way, but I learned that from him and survived.

And when I started working with other musicians as a band leader, I would choose someone whose playing I liked and I would never tell them what to do. They interpret that in different ways, and sometimes it comes out like you want it and sometimes it doesn’t.”

That uncertainty and the edginess it brings with it is good enough reason for Holdsworth to brave the seven-hour drives and the flights to Israel. And it’s also a good reason to check out one of the guitar greats of the last 40 years.

http://www.jpost.com....aspx?id=194800

Unbelievable a man with this talent went through all that, sleeping on friends sofas. Try and see him if/when he is touring. His sound and playing style (in parts) reminds me of 'bucket head' on the 1975 jazz gig, certainly developed his tone later.

http://www.namm.org/...llan-holdsworth

And:

http://www.jpost.com....aspx?id=194800

Unbelievable a man with this talent went through all that, sleeping on friends sofas. Try and see him if/when he is touring. His sound and playing style (in parts) reminds me of 'bucket head' on the 1975 jazz gig, certainly developed his tone later.

Holdsworth's tone really developed in the late 70s and then came on leaps and bounds into the 80s. I think my favourite Allan tone on record is on Secrets (1989) but actually his tone may be even better now, the two new bonus tracks on the best of album "Against the Clock" in 2005 had godly tone! And the new version of Tokyo Dream was even better than the original!

Holdsworth's brand new guitar, a Strandberg, just bought 2 weeks ago!

http://strandbergguitars.com/36-allan-holdsworth/

http://strandbergguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/IMG_1479.jpghttp://strandbergguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/IMG_0141.jpghttp://strandbergguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/IMG_0143.jpghttp://strandbergguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/IMG_1489.jpghttp://strandbergguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/IMG_1538.jpg