Tulsa Art Student Says Thieves Stole Flash Drives Containing Hours' Of Work

barney_rebel

http://www.newson6.c...f-her-hard-work

two words: cloud computing

That's just asking to have your data stolen by anyone with a decent amount of computer knowledge (or even the cloud provider; most consider your data their own property by keeping them on the servers). Keep a backup on an external hard drive at home which you update at least weekly. I honestly don't believe someone who is 21 years old doesn't know that if data is valuable then it should be backed up. It just makes it worse when you're doing a major in something computer related.

As much as I hope she gets her stuff back, she probably won't. The laptop could fetch a few hundred, the book at least another hundred on the second hand market. Not worth the risk of the money being offered (personally I would do the same except have cops involved when I meet up to give the reward).

Edited by USB Connector

http://www.newson6.c...f-her-hard-work

two words: cloud computing

That's just asking to have your data stolen by anyone with a decent amount of computer knowledge (or even the cloud provider; most consider your data their own property by keeping them on the servers). Keep a backup on an external hard drive at home which you update at least weekly. I honestly don't believe someone who is 21 years old doesn't know that if data is valuable then it should be backed up. It just makes it worse when you're doing a major in something computer related.

As much as I hope she gets her stuff back, she probably won't. The laptop could fetch a few hundred, the book at least another hundred on the second hand market. Not worth the risk of the money being offered (personally I would do the same except have cops involved when I meet up to give the reward).

Three words: Encrypted Cloud Computing.