Acoustic Guitar Pickups

default236

I've been considering putting in an acoustic pickup lately, but I'm curious as to what the difference is between active and passive pickups. Is there anything to consider when buying one like how easy it is to install? I've been considering this LR Baggs pickup here, http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/lr-baggs-m1-soundhole-pickup but if there are any better ones out there, I would appreciate seeing them, thanks.

I have a couple of the older Dean Markley Pro Mag pickups which are similar to the one you posted. It just rests on the sound hole edges with a foam lined cutout. The sound is ok for live use. I used to have an Ovation with active electronics. They can sound more abrasive than a passive system. The soundhole pickups are a little rounder sounding. With the removable pickups the cable can feel in the way a little. At least the Markley can. Either with passive or active units you may have to work to get a good sound depending on the amp or PA you are running into.

Case by case. If you can check either out at a store that would be ideal so you can hear how they sound. Even if you run into an amp and set all of the EQ set to 12 o'clock (flat) then you can hear how colored each pickup is. Whatever can get you either a good neutral tone or something that strikes your ear. Really it comes down to taste. Active pickups can be considerably brighter. Some like it, some don't. If the PA you are using has good EQ on the channels then either should be ok. I think with an active system you may require a bit of EQ wrangling.

But you never know. Make sure wherever you buy has a good return policy. :)