Tablet or Laptop?

Dweezil

I need help with this.

What I will want to use it for:

• Youtube
  • BBC iPlayer
  • etc.

Do tablets suffice? Do I have to spend loads?

I'd prefer the tablet mainly because of size and mobility.

Also, can you get the books thingy on a tablet??

Sincerely,

computer dummy

Look at it this way...Tablets 'consume' content, while Laptops and desktops produce content. It looks like you favor the consumption end wanting to Facebook, Skype, YouTube, act...

The new Kindle Fire HD is a great machine but it's Not a true tablet. It's still an ebook reader, with many extras. All tablets can view ebooks, but can also do much more.

Spend a little more and get a real tablet. You'll be glad you have all the extra features and functions.

I am thinking kindle Fire HD also here. Of course it does have the reader thing... but for a reading device, I would suggest getting a real reader, there is just no comparison reading from an e ink display as opposed to a staring at the light of a color screen.

Now you do know that going into a device is a bit restrictive, after all it is made by and for Amazon, which offers great services.

A BBCi app is available for the Kindle Fire HD

The Kindle Fire HD is $200

Skype video calls are free and this has a front facing camera.

Edited by burgeranacoke

I am thinking kindle Fire HD also here. Of course it does have the reader thing... but for a reading device, I would suggest getting a real reader, there is just no comparison reading from an e ink display as opposed to a staring at the light of a color screen.

Now you do know that going into a device is a bit restrictive, after all it is made by and for Amazon, which offers great services.

A BBCi app is available for the Kindle Fire HD

The Kindle Fire HD is $200

Skype video calls are free and this has a front facing camera.

Thank you!

Look at it this way...Tablets 'consume' content, while Laptops and desktops produce content. It looks like you favor the consumption end wanting to Facebook, Skype, YouTube, act...

The new Kindle Fire HD is a great machine but it's Not a true tablet. It's still an ebook reader, with many extras. All tablets can view ebooks, but can also do much more.

Spend a little more and get a real tablet. You'll be glad you have all the extra features and functions.

Thank you!

Just get yourself a netbook with a decent resolution. This shouldn't set you back more than $300.

This is not helpful.

Tablet ($100-$500): closed software (you're limited to whatever apps are approved to be available on the app store and that it), sure it will do the jobs you're asking but beyond the confines of the software provided they're always pretty limiting compared to laptops or netbook. I recommend you go to an electronics store and play with a bunch of them for a few hours and constantly ask yourself if you like it because it's the trendy thing to have or if it's the novelty of a touch screen. Think about how you're going to use it long term. If you think you're going to be using one of they keyboard attachments more than the keyboard itself I would really recommend going for a laptop or netbook. They vary in price depending on what you're looking for in a tablet. My girlfriend has an Acer that she got for $300. She thought it was really useful at first. She uses it for the same applications you do but also takes class notes with it. She plans on buying a laptop as she's rather annoyed on how few applications are available that are actually useful outside of Youtube and skype.

Netbook ($100-$500): basically a low powered, compact laptop. It's powerful enough to run programs like Microsoft Office, Skype, etc and low end games. They typically don't have disc drives to install software but all of the programs outlined in this thread can be downloaded free or the trial can be downloaded and the CD key applied from a physical CD. It's ultimately much more flexible than a netbook in terms of use and customization.

Laptop ($400+): Most $600 laptops can run just about anything and mid-range games. This is overkill for what you plan on doing with it unless you want a 10 inch screen or larger. In which case go for a lower end laptop.

The easiest thing to do is to go to a store and play with a bunch of tablets and netbooks. Tablets usually have a bunch of apps installed to give you a feel of the most popular apps/uses of the device. Give the apps you're most likely to use a thorough inspection. Is the interface of the apps/tablet intuitive? Does it fit within my price range? Is it a minor annoyance to do certain tasks or will it get annoying long term? Do I see myself using a touchscreen long term?

The netbooks have varying feels on the keyboard and resolutions on the screen. They also tend to have significantly more storage space than tablets (as in, at least double what most tablets have). Go for the one with the highest resolution that fits within your price range and ask yourself: Can I picture myself looking at this thing long enough to get my work done? What's the battery life? How does the battery life compare with <insert your favourite tablet that you tried>? Is the battery life long enough for my needs? Keep in mind that absolutely everything you do on a PC will be doable on the netbook in the same way and compare it to what you can do with the laptop.

People can list pros and cons, but it's ultimately up to you to try them and form an opinion. I think tablets are very constricting in terms of use. The touch screen is nice but there are many laptops which are becoming more and more affordable with flipable touch screens that can be used as windows powered tablets. Always think of what you'll be doing with the device long term and consider if the device will be able to accommodate you in the case that you might choose to expect a little more from it.

There's also a thread that started a while back about getting an iPad. If I remember correctly it was roughly agreed upon that it really depended on the use of the person buying. All the more reason to shop around and try things.

Edited by USB Connector

For what I want, I went with the kindle. We already have a pc but it's being "used" most of the time by Rog as he has his PS3 hooked up to it and he also plays PC games. This was a little thing for me to check on FB and google stuff whilst watching telly or doing other stuff. I will use it for in the car on long trips and reading. (Lots and lots of reading) After moving so many times in the last 10 years, I'm tired of lugging books everywhere. This way, I keep the few good reference books I can't part with and it cuts down on storage.

We've been talking about a laptop since spring, so maybe we will get the laptop when our next "big" purchase happens.

I've been on the Kindle non-stop for 30 hours (yes, stopping to charge and sleep a bit) and I love it.

I am handicapped and therefore limited in where I can go and when I can get out. I get really bored easily and the Kindle with the books and apps is keeping me from going to a dangerous place.

The PC never entertained me like this and I can lie in bed with the Kindle when I'm in a bad spot of pain. I know laptops can do that but the Kindle seems just right.

Thank you all for the advice. and special thanks to USB connector for expanding on his original post. Honestly I know diddly so didn't even know what a bloody netbook was.

Congrats! I got my wife the Kindle Fire last Christmas and she absolutely loves the thing. She calls it her Dork Machine.

Have fun!!