Braves vs Cardinals Wildcard Game

vital signz

QUOTE (Bastille Dave @ Oct 6 2012, 06:21 PM)
turns out it was the right call. The ump made the signal by raising his right arm before the shortstop bailed out from attempting to catch the ball. doesnt matter how deep the ball is hit, if the infielder can camp under it, it is an infield fly. Maybe the rule should be ammended, but according to the rules in place right now, the ump made the right call and all of the other umps agreed with the call and wouldve called it the same. Time to get over it and move on Braves fans. Truth is, the best fielding team in the National League shouldnt have made 3 errors in the game. That's what cost them the game, not the infield fly call.

Turns out you don't know what you are talking about Dave.

QUOTE (Bastille Dave @ Oct 6 2012, 04:21 PM)
turns out it was the right call. The ump made the signal by raising his right arm before the shortstop bailed out from attempting to catch the ball. doesnt matter how deep the ball is hit, if the infielder can camp under it, it is an infield fly. Maybe the rule should be ammended, but according to the rules in place right now, the ump made the right call and all of the other umps agreed with the call and wouldve called it the same. Time to get over it and move on Braves fans. Truth is, the best fielding team in the National League shouldnt have made 3 errors in the game. That's what cost them the game, not the infield fly call.

the right call?? wacko.gif ...it was a terrible call...one of the WORST I've ever seen..

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Oct 8 2012, 06:35 PM)
I guess it wasn't clear I don't agree with the call. First I'm just pointing out that almost everyone is not explaining what the rule actually says. everyone is focusing on the "immediately" part and ignoring the "seems apparent" part. Second, I'm pointing out why I think the error was made by the ump based on positioning. Not being used to being that far off of the third base is a contributing factor to the bad call.

You make very good points. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I wasn't being clear, either. When I was speaking about the ump making the call "immediately", I did so in the context of making the call without any delay. Certainly, it takes at least a full second (or even two) for an umpire to observe the pop fly and make a decision on it.

As for this particular call, it was definitely delayed, and I agree that the ump was out of normal position and that helped cause the bad call. IMO, the 2nd or 3rd base ump should make that kind of call. Outfield umps should stay out of it.