Changes Through the Decades

pdurbin22

First off, this is simply an observation. I'm not implying anything against the band in the slightest. I'm as happy as anyone that Rush is still around and in top form, and I love the new album and I love the shows.

Think about 2002 to 2012. In many ways, Rush is the same band now they were on the VT tour. Setlist structure is the same, the band's appearance is the same, Neil's kit is the same. Again, none of this is bad at all - it just is.

Now think about how much changed from 1974 to 1984. And then again from 1984 to 1994. It's amazing to think of how much happened in a decade back in those days, and how rapidly the band progressed. The same can be said for the Beatles - what they accomplished in 7 years is mind-blowing.

Clearly, every band/person reaches a point where things sort of plateau, and Rush has reached a level of comfort which is awesome. And that's not to say their music has plateau'd, as Clockwork Angels is among their finest work. It's just amazing when you think of what changes used to occur in ten short years!

I think it's pretty standard for a band just starting off and finding their identity to (a) change dramatically as they find themselves and (cool.gif be forced to produce new content at a high rate. Similarly, it's normal for a very mature band to not make such dramatic changes.

I think it is amazing that, even at this mature stage, Rush is still changing and coming up with new material that is both relevant and different from previous output. Compare them with almost any other band at this stage of their carreers, and I'm not sure that there is another band of Rush's popularity that still changes and produces fresh new material to the extent that Rush does.

QUOTE (LedRush @ Aug 23 2012, 01:33 PM)
I think it's pretty standard for a band just starting off and finding their identity to (a) change dramatically as they find themselves and (cool.gif be forced to produce new content at a high rate. Similarly, it's normal for a very mature band to not make such dramatic changes.

I think it is amazing that, even at this mature stage, Rush is still changing and coming up with new material that is both relevant and different from previous output. Compare them with almost any other band at this stage of their carreers, and I'm not sure that there is another band of Rush's popularity that still changes and produces fresh new material to the extent that Rush does.

Amen.

All Hail AlexFinal.gif NeilFinal.gif GeddyFinal.gif

QUOTE (DistantEarlyRushFan @ Aug 23 2012, 08:29 PM)
QUOTE (LedRush @ Aug 23 2012, 01:33 PM)
I think it's pretty standard for a band just starting off and finding their identity to (a) change dramatically as they find themselves and (cool.gif be forced to produce new content at a high rate.  Similarly, it's normal for a very mature band to not make such dramatic changes.

I think it is amazing that, even at this mature stage, Rush is still changing and coming up with new material that is both relevant and different from previous output.  Compare them with almost any other band at this stage of their carreers, and I'm not sure that there is another band of Rush's popularity that still changes and produces fresh new material to the extent that Rush does.

Amen.

All Hail AlexFinal.gif NeilFinal.gif GeddyFinal.gif

notworthy.gif notworthy.gif notworthy.gif