Please help. . .stupid toolbar

Mara

I installed Anchor's Expat Shield in order to catch some non - NBC Olympics coverage.

It was fine for a while, but it eventually slowed things down so much (even when off) that I uninstalled it.

Or so I thought. I can't get rid of the f*ckin' toolbar. I have uninstalled/reinstalled Mozilla, run CCleaner, and still that damnable thing is there. I think there are also other vestiges of that program lurking about, as the computer is still slow as shit.

HELP ME! I need to reclaim my computer!

How long ago did you install Expat Shield?

If you can narrow down the date you installed it, you could do a system restore. You'd go back to the last restore point before you installed Expat, and it'd be like you stuck your PC in a DeLorean and went back in time with Marty McFly. Ever done a restore?

I have not; always been a little nervous about it.

QUOTE (Mara @ Aug 2 2012, 08:43 PM)
I have not; always been a little nervous about it.

Nothing to be nervous about. A system restore only affects programs that have been installed after the restore date you choose. Files and documents are not affected in any way. And it's reversible.

FWIW, I'm betting you missed a step during the install that would have allowed you to not install that toolbar.

Or you could try clicking on "view" in the upper right corner of Firefox and in the the dropdown menu, highlight "Toolbars" and if that toolbar is showing you can just uncheck it and it should go away.

You can also click on "Tools" in the upper right hand corner and then on "Add-ons" and see if it is showing up in the plugins and if it is you can uninstall it from there.

Edited by snowdogged

Got 'er done!

Damn shame, kind of, because it really was sort of a cool program. I did get to watch a lot of the BBC feed and it ran great when I was doing that. The problems showed up when I wanted to do anything else. VPNs are a bit slow, I know (when I bring my work computer home I have to log onto our VPN and ooohh, boy, I know if I forget to log off of it).

I did look for the option to not install the toolbar, as I generally try to run as "lean" as possible, but I must've missed a step.

Thanks!

QUOTE (Mara @ Aug 2 2012, 06:45 PM)
I installed Anchor's Expat Shield in order to catch some non - NBC Olympics coverage.
It was fine for a while, but it eventually slowed things down so much (even when off) that I uninstalled it.
Or so I thought. I can't get rid of the f*ckin' toolbar. I have uninstalled/reinstalled Mozilla, run CCleaner, and still that damnable thing is there. I think there are also other vestiges of that program lurking about, as the computer is still slow as shit.

HELP ME! I need to reclaim my computer!

Mara, you should try this to watch other feeds. I haven't used it in a little while but it is really cool. You can watch all kinds of stuff on it and even download stuff through it. There are cool plugins that you can install on it. It's really good.

http://www.readontech.com/downloadinternettv.html