Lyrics freaks; are there any RUSH songs where you

treeduck

Are there any RUSH songs where you don't need the music, you just read the lyrics and that's the best bit so you don't even listen to the music?

For me this could never happen but maybe this is something the lyrics people really get into?

While there are some pretty good lyrics that can stand alone, I find the music adds so much more. I like the lyrics of 'Red Sector A', for example, and could read the song as a poem, but Geddy's singing and the driving darkness of the music really set the tone, elevating it to a whole.

I do think that the lyrics are generally of a high quality and Neil puts a lot of effort into them, but the music gives the words new dimension, and I get enjoyment out of that.

Another example: 'Between Sun and Moon' - try just reading the words and getting the same benefit as hearing the song! There's an audio file somewhere out there that has the original poet, Pye Dubois, with whom Neil collaborated on this song, reading aloud his poem, and it sounds so totally different from the song Rush developed! Interesting.

QUOTE (Mika @ Jul 3 2012, 04:51 PM)

Another example: 'Between Sun and Moon' - try just reading the words and getting the same benefit as hearing the song! There's an audio file somewhere out there that has the original poet, Pye Dubois, with whom Neil collaborated on this song, reading aloud his poem, and it sounds so totally different from the song Rush developed! Interesting.

There you go!

I expected rushgoober to come to this thread since he's so in love with lyrics, but then he never answers interesting or tough questions, just regurgitates the same old tired opinions that he's comfortable with.