Clockwork Angels and the Dark Tower

how it ought to be

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 26 2012, 06:06 PM)
  Don't tell me about The Dark Tower, I've not read the last three volumes yet...even though I first read the first volume back in 1987... 

You must re-read and finish the series. Stick with it even when you're saying "where the hell is he going with this?' in your head. Steve brings it home in a huge way.

QUOTE (spock @ Jun 26 2012, 07:30 PM)
Wizard and Glass will always be the stand-out book in that series for me!

I like W&G, but still think The Gunslinger is the best in the series. I'm reading The Wind Through the Keyhole now. (Leave to SK to insert another story in the middle of a series that was over!)

I think there are some similarities, sure, but I don't think they're intentional. I think Neil has admitted to being influenced by everything he's read / seen, subconsciously or overtly, but I think any parallels are just coincidence.

Anyone who hasn't read the DT series, check it out here.

I think it's a stretch, personally. As long as the OP is, the only similarity between CA and the Dark Tower is "they're both set in an alternate world." That pretty much describes the setting of every Sci-Fi/Fantasy story ever written.

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Jun 27 2012, 08:00 AM)
I've read the first four books. Should I read The Wind Through the Keyhole before V, or in the order they came out?

Well, I'm only about halfway through it, but I think it doesn't really matter if you read it in sequence or by published date. Most of what I've read so far has very little to do with the main characters of the DT series . . . other than Roland, sort of.

It's like the travelers of the DT series are walking along, and Roland starts telling a story about another new character. And, then within that story, he tells another story about a whole new set of characters.

QUOTE (Rush-O-Matic @ Jun 27 2012, 09:49 AM)
QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Jun 27 2012, 08:00 AM)
I've read the first four books. Should I read The Wind Through the Keyhole before V, or in the order they came out?

Well, I'm only about halfway through it, but I think it doesn't really matter if you read it in sequence or by published date. Most of what I've read so far has very little to do with the main characters of the DT series . . . other than Roland, sort of.

It's like the travelers of the DT series are walking along, and Roland starts telling a story about another new character. And, then within that story, he tells another story about a whole new set of characters.

Thanks. trink39.gif