Production and overall sound on Freewill vs. BU2B

NAO

How is it that Freewill, recorded in 1980, sounds so much better - in terms of crispness, clarity, and distinctiveness of each instrument - than BU2B, which was recorded 30 years later?

Shouldn't technology have moved us forward along those lines? Or is (what I perceive as) "muddiness" just the way things are supposed to sound in the 21st century?

It obviously has to do with mixing and mastering techniques. The technology today, is still (easily) able to create the sound of Permanent Waves. IT all comes down to who is the crew/engineer/producer. The playing is top notch. I wish that CA had the clarity of freewill. Even if it didn't end up sounding as "big" or "epic" which I think is what a lot mastering techniques these days aim for, which sadly, is missing a large part of what makes rush so great in the first place.

I'm with all of you guys!!!!! I love the clarity over the mud bullshit!!!!

I can tolerate the shit compressed mud on the last three Rush records but it amazes me out the 80's albums sound so much better to my ears!!

Hell I've been bashing "Test For Echo" on this Forum for years but even that album sounds much better than VT S&A and CA!!!

"IT IS WHAT IT IS AND WHATEVER!!"