A question of case

BriGuy

I'm sure I'm with the majority here who bought CA on physical media because we like the band so much.

You would think those who produce the product would know that those interested in buying something like CA on physical media would want it to be durable. Yet we get a cardboard/paper case, not a real jewel case.

It's not all bad... at least there is a plastic tray in there for the disc to be held in. It's not as bad as, say, Feedback, where the disc is just slipped inside a paper sleeve, not held in by anything, and can just fall right out.

But it's still not going to hold up over time. For instance, same day I got CA, I went looking for Test for Echo and Snakes and Arrows.

I got a nice used copy of TfE, original not remastered, that was in great condition, in a jewel case.

Store had two copies of SnA. The used one looked like crap, because of the paper case. Fortunately there was a new one.

I had both downloaded from iTunes, but I wanted the discs.

The other problem are where discs have to slide in and out of (sometimes tight) cardboard or paper sleeves, which can lead to scratches. I've seen this with Rush CDs and DVDs. For some of those, I've gotten jewel cases. For some the booklet will fit into the case, but I still don't like losing the artwork.

So, any case solutions for cases that just suck? And what do you do about artwork?

I love the Clockwork Angels packaging, to me it's a nice balance between a hard case and digipack. I absolutely hate jewel cases, i don't understand why some people love them? most of mine have been smashed or the little things that hold the disc in the center of the tray snap out and no longer hold the disc. The paper digipacks are great because there's no way an part of the packaging can break, and its recyclable! how would a paper packaging not be durable? if you keep it out of the rain or the sink, there should be no problem confused13.gif

You and I, we'll take care of them, they'll last intact longer, sure. But in time, the paper/cardboard is going to degrade in ways a solid plastic jewel case will not. It may get frayed at the edges, discolored from exposure to moisture, light, etc.

The used copy of SnA I saw was cracked and banged up. My used copy of My Fav Headache isn't so hot either, although the disc is good.

Jewel cases are more durable, and are more easily replaced. I've done that for a few older Rush ones where they got scuffed up and kind of hazy. I was able to put all the artwork in the new case and bang, good as new, nothing lost.

Being recyclable is not a plus for me. I wouldn't want to ever get rid of it. I buy physical media to keep.

QUOTE (Dylan2712 @ Jun 14 2012, 12:16 PM)
I love the Clockwork Angels packaging, to me it's a nice balance between a hard case and digipack. I absolutely hate jewel cases, i don't understand why some people love them? most of mine have been smashed or the little things that hold the disc in the center of the tray snap out and no longer hold the disc. The paper digipacks are great because there's no way an part of the packaging can break, and its recyclable! how would a paper packaging not be durable? if you keep it out of the rain or the sink, there should be no problem confused13.gif

I agree with the Recyclability of Digipak's, but I do miss the Jewel Cases they just felt so much more legit to me. I ripped the edge of my CA trying to get the damn booklet inside sad.gif

You guys must not have the fanpack version because the booklet for that is glued in. The case itself is hard like a mini hardcover book. Foo Fighters did the same thing with their greatest hits album.

Jewel cases, to me, are boring and extremely fragile. But I guess in the end I don't really care what the Cd case is like; I ripp the Cd in lossless format onto my computer and play the files on my systems.

Jewel Cases are totally worthless. Digi-Paks, which is what CA is packaged in, are the industry standard now. Way more durable, classy, eco friendly, and Not plastic.

One thing that I think is a concern is how tightly the CD's are pressed on the plastic teeth. I can easily see more than a few people actually breaking the disc b/c the hole is just slightly small enough around the teeth to make it almost forced to fit, as if the teeth have no problem compressing as you push down on them, but once the CD is on and you try pulling up, it's an entirely different story.

I actually broke a CD trying to get it off of teeth. It was the bonus disk to Iron Maiden's 7th Son album, which I found used for $8 (along with the original album and the special bonus disc insert). It was the reason I bought it, and *snap* just like that it broke as I tried to wrangle it off of the teeth. The reason it hit so close is b/c that version routinely sells for a lot more on Ebay.

I've also found that with the new carboard/plastic hybrids, as much as the CD can be tough to get off, it somehow paradoxically spins on the teeth a lot more freely. One would assume that the CD is not directly against the plastic backing, that the teeth are elevated a bit. But it still can be a little nerve-racking.

QUOTE (BriGuy @ Jun 14 2012, 12:02 PM)
I'm sure I'm with the majority here who bought CA on physical media because we like the band so much.

You would think those who produce the product would know that those interested in buying something like CA on physical media would want it to be durable. Yet we get a cardboard/paper case, not a real jewel case.

It's not all bad... at least there is a plastic tray in there for the disc to be held in. It's not as bad as, say, Feedback, where the disc is just slipped inside a paper sleeve, not held in by anything, and can just fall right out.

But it's still not going to hold up over time. For instance, same day I got CA, I went looking for Test for Echo and Snakes and Arrows.

I got a nice used copy of TfE, original not remastered, that was in great condition, in a jewel case.

Store had two copies of SnA. The used one looked like crap, because of the paper case. Fortunately there was a new one.

I had both downloaded from iTunes, but I wanted the discs.

The other problem are where discs have to slide in and out of (sometimes tight) cardboard or paper sleeves, which can lead to scratches. I've seen this with Rush CDs and DVDs. For some of those, I've gotten jewel cases. For some the booklet will fit into the case, but I still don't like losing the artwork.

So, any case solutions for cases that just suck? And what do you do about artwork?

http://www.gifsforum.com/images/gif/cry/grand/cry_baby_gif.gif

QUOTE (BriGuy @ Jun 14 2012, 01:37 PM)
That's another issue, nothing really holding the booklet in.

It depends on how the booklet is held. I've seen plenty of the hybrids where the booklet fits in, bottom 1st, in a slit. But if the cardboard on either side of the slit is in any way torn, the booklet slides out very easily. This is a problem if you're storing CD's on their side so that you read bottom to top of the spine. My Arch/Matheos CD and my Symphony X Paradise Lost CD both came with the one side of the slit a little torn, and their booklet slide all about when you're handling the entire package.

Edited by zappafrank