Pod Farm vs Amplitube

Nate2112

Which should I get, Pod Farm or Amplitube, fellow guitar players...

I was hoping for a post rock/shoegaze sound outta the software.

I have both. Both have strengths and both have weaknesses.

IK uses less CPU so you won't bog your machine as much. Also IK has less variety to choose from. Their effects sound better than the POD Farm. The treble can get brittle and scratchy pretty easily.

POD Farm uses much more CPU and takes longer to open and can move slowly even on a powerful machine. There is way more variety than IK. The effects can get to sounding mushy the more you ad, especially modulation effects. The amps sound better than the IK stuff, a little more smooth.

Both allow for multiple amps but IK allows you to split paths a little easier.

Logic comes with it's own amp sim that sounds better than either of these.

That said, I am getting better tone mic'ing real amps these days. Though going for the tone you want either of these will work, but you may need to run a couple instances of each to do so.

I have both and find amplitube easier to use. Are you using this as standalone app or are you wanting to use with a specific type of recording software? This can affect the answer.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ May 5 2012, 02:02 PM)
I have both and find amplitube easier to use. Are you using this as standalone app or are you wanting to use with a specific type of recording software? This can affect the answer.

Actually now I downloaded Hardcore for Fruity Loops and It works out perfectly, the problem is that I don't have the full versionso at random times it will go silent for a few seconds reminding me that I need to buy the full version.

I downloaded a demo of Amplitube and its really easy and fun but I just need a software like this so I can perform live...

QUOTE (Nate2112 @ May 5 2012, 04:25 PM)
I just need a software like this so I can perform live...

ohmy.gif

For similar money you can get a Fender Mustang II which has amp sim and USB capability and will be much better suited to live performance than using software.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-GCS-FEN...148-i1557506.gc

I've actually run Pod Farm live from a laptop with a midi foot pedal for switching effects on and off and changing patches etc. run through a stereo power amp or direct to the P.A. Sounded great.