Record Store Vs Comic Shop

furie

QUOTE (beherit @ May 31 2012, 04:21 PM)
I wish they just saved the big stories for the Annuals and Giant-Size books like they did 1000 years ago.

One of my favorite crossovers was back in 1987 and 1988, the two-part crossover each year between Avengers and West Coast Avengers. That was all the crossover I needed tongue.gif

I like a good company crossover, and I actually believe that every title they publish should participate. But they should only be 6 issues long, have no side-series (Civil War: Frontline and the like) and tie-ins shouldn't be required reading to get the gist of the whole series. They should enhance the experience, not drag it down. DC did it right with Crisis back in 1985.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 31 2012, 05:28 PM)
QUOTE (beherit @ May 31 2012, 04:21 PM)
I wish they just saved the big stories for the Annuals and Giant-Size books like they did 1000 years ago.

One of my favorite crossovers was back in 1987 and 1988, the two-part crossover each year between Avengers and West Coast Avengers. That was all the crossover I needed tongue.gif

I like a good company crossover, and I actually believe that every title they publish should participate. But they should only be 6 issues long, have no side-series (Civil War: Frontline and the like) and tie-ins shouldn't be required reading to get the gist of the whole series. They should enhance the experience, not drag it down. DC did it right with Crisis back in 1985.

goodpost.gif

I figured I could find some comic fans on the Rush Forum.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jun 1 2012, 07:16 AM)
QUOTE (beherit @ May 31 2012, 03:53 PM)
Yeah, it's bullshit. Plus, the quality of comics isn't what it used to be. Instead of telling great stories like in the old days, it's all about long, drawn-out story arcs to get the most money they can. Remember the Marvel Civil War? It was a seven-issue series and there were about 100 books involved. So, to know everything, you had to spend a shitload of cash.

I haven't read a comic since the beginning of the Skrull invasion, which was like, 4 or 5 years ago. It got to where the only books I enjoyed were Jonah Hex and Cap, because they didn't have huge story arcs up their asses.

Civil War was pretty bad with the tie-ins, and it's only gotten worse. Fear Itself had something like 110 tie-ins.

Going way back, I believe all that drawn-out storytelling/greed has its roots with Marvel's Beyonder stories from the mid 80s. And if that wasn't enough, Marvel amped up their greed with all the variant covers crap a few years after that. But it didn't really matter since many of those stories at that time were pretty boring anyway imho. Then, there was the artwork of the late 80s/early 90s which made it seem like every panel was an over-the-top splash page.

So yeah, I'd say Marvel jumped the shark with the Beyonder [or maybe even the non-death of Jean Grey/Phoenix was a clone shite]