Speech to text converter/Dragon Natual speak help

USB Connector

I bought a speech recorder to help me record some lectures where the teachers allow it. Rather than listening to these rather legthy files, the recorder came with the latest version of Dragon NaturallySpeaking. Now I would like to convert my professor's voice, and yet it keeps asking me to make a user profile for comparison (involves a recording of me reading a specific text aloud for 4 minutes). Is there a way to make it convert any voice recording to text? Are there better programs out there that do what I need it to do?

I tried doing it on myself, Dragon Naturally speaking doesn't work well. All it goes is translate speech to written gibberish. Does anyone know of a good program?

Dragon's Naturally Speaking is one of the best voice translation platforms available. Ive done consulting work with medical industry and the software is extremely flexible and amazingly robust. Have you tried looking for setup help in the voicerecognition forums? Try voicerecognition.com's site. If not, Nuance should have plenty of help on their website as well. I wouldnt give up on Dragon, Ive seen what it can do

QUOTE (PassTheAmmunition @ Sep 24 2011, 01:00 AM)
Dragon's Naturally Speaking is one of the best voice translation platforms available. Ive done consulting work with medical industry and the software is extremely flexible and amazingly robust. Have you tried looking for setup help in the voicerecognition forums? Try voicerecognition.com's site. If not, Nuance should have plenty of help on their website as well. I wouldnt give up on Dragon, Ive seen what it can do

Ok then, I'll make another profile and try again. I'll update the thread after it finishes analyzing.

So it works great with my own voice, but I can't get it to recognize any microphone to use dictation mode. I try saying things like "open microsoft office word 2007" but it doesn't seem to hear me. I have a Sony laptop with a built in mic (realtek hd audio sound card) and a Sony recorder ICD SX712 (image below). How can I get it to use one of them to allow me to write essays by voice?

EDIT: I wanted to add that I have version 11.0

http://dandygadget.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Sony_ICD_SX712_Voice_CD_Quality_Recorder_Portable_Media_Gadgets.jpg

Edited by USB Connector

I found out I can't use the recorder as a mic. Oh well, it means I need to go shopping for a microphone. A big thanks to PassTheAmmunition for getting me to try it again.