Torn rotator cuff

PassTheAmmunition

So I'm in my first week of PT for a torn rotator cuff in my left shoulder. Ive been to two orthopaedists and gotten two somewhat different view on what to expect. Was wondering if anyone out here has gone through something similar and if so, did you have successful rehabilitation or require surgery. Recovery?

I've been diagnosed with a tear, but my first session with the PT was last night and he seemed to think that if its torn, its not as severe as some he's seen based on my current (limited) range of motion.

The scans did not show any calcification of the joint or visible degeneration. Its just freaking painful.

QUOTE (Khan @ Aug 11 2011, 01:58 PM)
I've found that a lazy, sedentary life style which avoids any kind of injury is best....

lol. if i told you how this happened you might have to reevaluate even laying on the couch

My friend recently (last week Wedensday) went through double rotator cuff surgery. One was a full surgery to repair a full tear, and one was a scope.

She went through the first surgery back in 2006, that didn't take. This time, they literally hooked the rotator cuff back together. First time in 10 years she is pain free in her shoulder. She's having a more difficult time with her other shoulder (the scope), but she's confident it will be fine.

The advice I will give is to do what the PT and doctors say to get you healed. If that means surgery, follow the steps they will give you after the surgery. If it's just PT, do exactly what the therapist tells you to do.

Thanks Draco - a few people have told me that surgery is a tough recovery. I have a general good feeling about my PT as this place specializes in sports injuries and the therapist really knew the symptoms well. He evaluated me "high" on the scale of treatable, provided I follow a regimen he is now putting together. Session 1 was an hour evaluation followed by 45 minutes of therapy and very low-level manipulation of the area. The scope and surgery sound like something I definitely wasnt to avoid

All I know is it compromised and ultimately curtailed the boxing career of former world welterweight champion James "Buddy" Mcgirt. In his last few years all he had was a weak left jab and no left hook. He often wasn't able to jab at all and had to lead with right hands, but he still managed two close fights with Pernell "Sweet Pea" Whitaker...

trink38.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 11 2011, 02:24 PM)
All I know is it compromised and ultimately curtailed the boxing career of former world welterweight champion James "Buddy" Mcgirt. In his last few years all he had was a weak left jab and no left hook. He often wasn't able to jab at all and had to lead with right hands, but he still managed two close fights with Pernell "Sweet Pea" Whitaker...

trink38.gif

Yeah well my boxing career has never really been in question...

tongue.gif

I'm more into "unboxing" lol

QUOTE (PassTheAmmunition @ Aug 11 2011, 02:26 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 11 2011, 02:24 PM)

trink38.gif

Yeah well my boxing career has never really been in question...

tongue.gif

I'm more into "unboxing" lol

laugh.gif

You know it seems like a bit of an exotic injury for an average non-pro sports person. How did you manage it?

Edited by treeduck

No, I've never had that..wish I could I could give good advise.

I have had surgery( Torn cartilage right knee, playin' basketball.

The ONLY reason I didn't go in the U. S. Army , right outta H.S.)

I've heard that one's really difficult to recover from.

..It's not fun..any surgery.

Edited by go2wrk@95974